• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overpriced 1st appearances
3 3

179 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, SBRobin said:

How is a book "overpriced" if it consistently sells at those prices? Overpriced means something is "priced more than it is worth."

Maybe "overpriced" in this context really means "not sustainable".  In the long term will 1st appearances of minor characters hold their prices?  Maybe not if the character is still minor in a decade or two and the DVD from the movie is in a dollar box at flea markets.

I don't believe that many people will care too much, in the long term, about some S.A. or newer book whose only interesting feature is the 1st appearance of a minor character. If the cover is great, the art/writing is great, and the book becomes a classic in that way then that is what will make it sustainable, IMO.

5 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I can appreciate the scarcity of HOS 92 as much as anyone, but Swamp Thing is a C-level character and you are comparing its 1st appearance valuation against the 1st appearance of the modern X-Men, arguable the most popular title of the past 30+ years, and you’re telling me I’m wrong???  Lol 😂 

C-level character? Hardly. 

HOS 92 has the best cover of nearly anything else from the decade, and that's saying a lot. Bernie Wrightston masterpiece. Oh, and it happens to be a little tougher to find in higher grades. 

The book is a little too hot, I agree, but I would much, much, much rather have a high grade HOS92 than a GSXM1. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

HOS 92 has the best cover of nearly anything else from the decade, and that's saying a lot. Bernie Wrightston masterpiece. Oh, and it happens to be a little tougher to find in higher grades. 

The book is a little too hot, I agree, but I would much, much, much rather have a high grade HOS92 than a GSXM1. 

This

34 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

eh. as this book skyrocketed in 2018 there were plenty of sales trying to cash in on the boom. since fall, prices have come back a bit and even more copies came on the market, and you know, its holding its value just fine. it may not jump in value again for some time, but there wont be any downward spiral. 

This isn't a dip, but more of a stabilization.

The book still has a lot of hype and we haven't hit the point when the movies start to make less money.  When that happens,  we shall see a real drop in prices, across the board. 

If I had a 181, and it wasn’t in my long-term PC, I’d be selling. If you’re betting on movie spec, can the property really be handled any better than it has been over the last decade? Hugh Jackman IS wolverine to an entire generation, and they love him...but his time has come and gone. Not to mention it’s coming off an epic spike, plus 10k+ graded copies can’t be overstated....

When I read the thread’s title 181 came to mind, only reason I didn’t say it is because someone beat me to it...2c

Almost every villain.

Seriously has there ever been a villain (b list or below) that has held value after its big movie/tv moment?

Even the big A list villains tend to go down after the dust settles from the initial movie/TV debut, at least for a little while.

For everything else its almost always a downward spiral for eternity.

I do not understand why people "invest" in these type of books when they reach outrageously high prices.

The issue with certain keys like Hulk 181 is , yes there are 10 thousand on the census, but there's 100 thousand wanting one. I don't think books like that are too expensive. 

The over priced books are the ones that were dollar bin fodder, and now they are commanding crazy prices due to movie/TV hype.

• By the way HoS 92 is just a fantastic book.:shy:

12 hours ago, D84 said:

Hollywood works in cycles.  They will run something into the ground and move on.  Look at westerns and crime dramas.  Yes, they are still made but to a much smaller degree and they aren't the money makers they used to be.

The modern prices have gone up exponentially since the first Avengers and sustaining those prices with a fickle public is problematic.  There will always be the hard core collectors (like myself), but how many people invest in comics like they did Beanie babies, baseball cards, and the comics of the 90s?

A big problem I am seeing is the buying of multiples again.  This time it's back issues instead of the new ones.

I know several people who bought multiple Hulk 181s.  That book is common as dirt.  When the prices dip, a large number of people will dump the books, flooding the market, and causing a downward spiral.

This has happened in several markets throughout history.  Comics are not above the whims of the public.

Well, it looks like this theory will be tested soon, at least with the DC comics part of it. Apparently a lot of the DC tv shows might be cancelled after next season. This is significant because a lot of Silver Age DC keys first appearances went up expontentially, as characters appeared on those shows. 

ARROW RUMORED TO BE CANCELED

https://cosmicbook.news/arrow-canceled

It is being claimed that both Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow will be canceled and come to an end by The CW following the next season on the television network.

Supergirl In Danger Of Being Cancelled Due To Low Ratings

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/supergirl-danger-cancelled-due-low-ratings/

a source has told us that once these next runs have wrapped up, the shape of the shared DC TV universe could be very different. For starters, one of the shows may be in danger of being forcibly cancelled due to worries over ratings. And that unlucky show’s Supergirl. 

From what we understand, The CW hasn’t been all too pleased with the viewing figures for the Girl of Steel’s solo series of late. If things continue as they are or decline even more, it’s possible that the network will wrap things up. 

10 hours ago, newshane said:

Yup, definitely C-level character.

HOS 92 is a great cover, but there are others equally as nice from the same decade...WW 199 comes to mind, along with Batman 227, and some others from the Gothic/Romance titles, to name but a few.

Yes, it happens to be tougher in high grade, I agree.

Still, it has far lower demand than other books in the same price range and it is definitely overvalued.

And while I believe you when you say that you would much rather have a high grade HOS92 than I GSXM1, I think you can agree to the fact that you are in the minority opinion.

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

HOS 92 is a great cover, but there are others equally as nice from the same decade...WW 199 comes to mind, along with Batman 227, and some others from the Gothic/Romance titles, to name but a few.

Still, it has far lower demand than other books in the same price range and it is definitely overvalued.

And while I believe you when you say that you would much rather have a high grade HOS92 than I GSXM1, I think you can agree to the fact that you are in the minority opinion.

Yeah? No. Now Batman 227 THAT'S an overpriced book. 

43 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Well, it looks like this theory will be tested soon, at least with the DC comics part of it. Apparently a lot of the DC tv shows might be cancelled after next season. This is significant because a lot of Silver Age DC keys first appearances went up expontentially, as characters appeared on those shows. 

ARROW RUMORED TO BE CANCELED

https://cosmicbook.news/arrow-canceled

It is being claimed that both Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow will be canceled and come to an end by The CW following the next season on the television network.

Supergirl In Danger Of Being Cancelled Due To Low Ratings

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/supergirl-danger-cancelled-due-low-ratings/

a source has told us that once these next runs have wrapped up, the shape of the shared DC TV universe could be very different. For starters, one of the shows may be in danger of being forcibly cancelled due to worries over ratings. And that unlucky show’s Supergirl. 

From what we understand, The CW hasn’t been all too pleased with the viewing figures for the Girl of Steel’s solo series of late. If things continue as they are or decline even more, it’s possible that the network will wrap things up. 

I agree.  That could be very telling of what's to come.

40 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Nope. 

You are wrong about pretty much everything. :)

How can a C-level character have a movie (1982) AND a TV series that lasted three seasons (1990-1993) and another one in the works for 2019? 

Not to mention that the comic featured CLASSIC work by Alan Moore, Bernie Wrightston, and Jon Totleben.  

Also, the book was spread across FIVE titles over the years and won the following awards: 

Plus, click in the spoiler tag below to see a huge list of awards and nominations....

Spoiler

Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Awards
Favorite Comic Book Story – Swamp Thing #53 (1986, ranked #6)
Favorite Comic Book – Swamp Thing (1986, ranked #1)
Favorite Character – Swamp Thing (1986, ranked #6)
Eisner Awards
Best Single Issue – Swamp Thing #75, by Rick Veitch (1989, nominated)
Best Single Issue or Story – Swamp Thing #113, by Nancy Collins, Tom Yeates, and Shepherd Hendrix (1992, nominated)
Best Editor – Stuart Moore, Swamp Thing, The Invisibles, Preacher (1996, tie)
Best Cover Artist – Phil Hale, Swamp Thing, Vertigo Secret Files, Flinch #11 (2001, nominated)
Harvey Awards
Best Letterer – John Costanza, for Swamp Thing (1988, nominated)
Best Continuing or Limited Series – Swamp Thing, by Rick Veitch and Alfredo Alcala (1988, nominated)
Best Writer – Rick Veitch, for Swamp Thing (1989, nominated)
Best Colorist – Tatjana Wood, for Swamp Thing (1989, nominated)
Jack Kirby Awards
Best Single Issue – Swamp Thing #32, by Alan Moore and Shawn McManus (1985, nominated)
Best Single Issue – Swamp Thing #34, by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette, and John Totleben (1985, nominated)
Best Single Issue – Swamp Thing Annual #2, by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette, and John Totleben (1985)
Best Continuing Series – Swamp Thing, by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette, and John Totleben (1985)
Best Writer – Alan Moore, for Swamp Thing (1985)
Best Art Team – Steve Bissette and John Totleben, for Swamp Thing (1985)
Best Cover – Swamp Thing #34, by Steve Bissette and John Totleben (1985)
Best Single Issue – Swamp Thing #43, by Alan Moore and Stan Woch (1986, nominated)
Best Continuing Series – Swamp Thing, by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette, and John Totleben (1986)
Best Writer – Alan Moore, for Swamp Thing (1986)
Best Writer/Artist – Alan Moore and Steve Bissette, for Swamp Thing (1986, nominated)
Best Art Team – Steve Bissette and John Totleben, for Swamp Thing (1986, nominated)
Best Continuing Series – Swamp Thing, by Alan Moore, Steve Bissette, and John Totleben (1987)
Best Writer – Alan Moore, for Swamp Thing (1986, nominated)
Best Art Team – Steve Bissette and John Totleben, for Swamp Thing (1987, nominated)
Shazam Awards
Best Individual Story (Dramatic Division) – "Dark Genesis," by Len Wein & Berni Wrightson, from Swamp Thing #1 (1972)
Best Writer (Dramatic Division) – Len Wein, for Swamp Thing (1972)
Best Penciller (Dramatic Division) – Berni Wrightson, for Swamp Thing (1972)
Best Continuing Feature – Swamp Thing (1973)
Best Individual Story (Dramatic Division) – "A Clockwork Horror," by Len Wein & Berni Wrightson, from Swamp Thing #6 (1973, nominated)
Best Writer (Dramatic Division) – Len Wein, for Swamp Thing (1973, nominated)
Best Penciller (Dramatic Division) – Berni Wrightson, for Swamp Thing (1973)
Best Inker (Dramatic Division) – Berni Wrightson, for Swamp Thing (1973, nominated)

A true C-level character would be someone like Marvel's Speedball or Bloodaxe. 

People on the street will likely know the name "Swamp Thing." 

You probably weren't around in the character's heyday during the 80s and early 90s, so I /might/ give you a break here. 

But you further say that the demand for HOS92 isn't there. :screwy:

Furthermore, GSXM 1 isn't even the exclusive first appearance of the X-men! What about UXM - 94? Much better cover than GSXM and harder to find in top condition thanks to the dark cover. 

Not to mention the fact that GSXM1 is simply an ugly book aesthetically. 

But go ahead and overpay for a copy. It's your money, not mine. Wish I had one to sell you! 

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

C-level warrants characters like freakin' Starfox and ROM. Swamp Thing and the other assorted "dark" universe characters are, in my opinion, the best thing DC has going for them. 

When I first started collecting the GSX1 and X94 were the two main issues I was determined to get in high grade. I can tell you having bought/traded and bought back multiple copies over 8 years takes its toll on your appreciation for a book. Not to mention how the market is oversaturated with horribly pressed copies that look like they were placed in an oven, yet they sell high. The HOS92 has never waned and I still consider it to be my favorite Bronze book. I won't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure every collector on this forum that has been around looks at a GSX1 with nothing more than $$$.

Edited by MadJimJaspers

1 hour ago, MadJimJaspers said:

I won't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure every collector on this forum that has been around looks at a GSX1 with nothing more than $$$.

Hardly.

Not all of us are profit-obsessed flippers.  It’s a great book and one of the most significant in my collection.

Edited by Ken Aldred