• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overpriced 1st appearances
3 3

179 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, FineCollector said:

It's a 2nd appearance, and nothing happens in it.  Plane takes off, and goes poof.  95 is a far better book than 94.

Yup. 95, the death of Thunderbird, was a sad story.

And, it could just as easily have been Wolverine.

10 hours ago, cosmic_surfer said:

Hands down - Warewolf by Night 32 is the most overrated comic book right now. I don’t see any upside with that book. Do you guys seriously see MK headlining an MCU / Disney Movie? Might show up in Disney+ streaming but I’m sure it will be a tamed version, which will suck anyways. 

I’d expect the Multiple Personality Disorder / Dissociative Identity Disorder issue to be tamed down or excluded, although with the strong reviews given recently to Doom Patrol, an accurate version might now be seen as viable for Disney streaming.

Moon knight has been held back for something big. Otherwise he would have been on an episode of AOS, or used as a throw away secondary character in the Netflix stuff. I disagree that he can't translate to film well. He doesn't have to have a stark white costume that looks weird on screen. WWBN #32 sells and in all grades. I've sold probably 20 copies the past several years, and even low grades don't sit at all for a few hundred dollars. There is a lot of demand for that book. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Mercury Man said:

I always go back to Avengers 55.  People were wetting themselves due to Ultron's first appearance, Avengers movie etc.  It has come down quite a bit from a few years ago.   Do we expect the same from Iron Man 55?

Agreed. Avg 55 has crashed almost as hard as Ronan's intro. The way Ultron was portrayed in the movie definitely didn't do him any favors. I've read the avengers run from the 1960s through the 1980s and he was a more formidable villian in the actual comics (although he was pretty corny in his first couple appearances, I remember him throwing the word "cretins" around quite a bit). Even in some of the cartoons my 4 year old watches Ultron is handled better. 

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

Agreed. Avg 55 has crashed almost as hard as Ronan's intro. The way Ultron was portrayed in the movie definitely didn't do him any favors. I've read the avengers run from the 1960s through the 1980s and he was a more formidable villian in the actual comics (although he was pretty corny in his first couple appearances, I remember him throwing the word "cretins" around quite a bit). Even in some of the cartoons my 4 year old watches Ultron is handled better. 

I think because Ronan and Ultron were both villians. I think somewhere earlier in the thread said most villians are overhyped/priced. There could be something to that as villians don't seem to have the holding power as heroes.

Maybe only Thanos and the Joker would be considered the exception to the rule of villian`s first appearance being overpriced/hyped?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Speaking of vilians,which makes me realize if I had to name some overpriced first appearance,than it be of Darkseid.

image.jpeg.319c95f31ed51c9ce4f29ebb55c4b2cb.jpeg

Mainstream people would just think of Darkseid as a Thanos rip-off. Yeah I know Darkseid came first,but mainstream doesn't.

Plus does anybody really want to see the Thanos story retold again with Darkseid replacing him on the screen? Do we really want to see Justice League take on Darkseid for like 5 DC movies?

I am betting most would say no.

So yeah my pick would be first Darkseid who unfortunately would now be considered a poor man`s Thanos to the rest of the world.

:insane:

28 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think because Ronan and Ultron were both villians. I think somewhere earlier in the thread said most villians are overhyped/priced. There could be something to that as villians don't seem to have the holding power as heroes.

Maybe only Thanos and the Joker would be considered the exception to the rule of villian`s first appearance being overpriced/hyped?

Don't forget about Dr Doom. First real Marvel villian. Once they some day make a FF movie from Marvel Studios his intro will get a nice sustainable bump.

And maybe Magneto. Depending on how they handle him. Might also get a sustainable movie hype bump

15 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Don't forget about Dr Doom. First real Marvel villian. Once they some day make a FF movie from Marvel Studios his intro will get a nice sustainable bump.

And maybe Magneto. Depending on how they handle him. Might also get a sustainable movie hype bump

Got to agree with this.

Great villians who beat the hype. Villians who are historic.

In no particular order.

Magneto,Doctor Doom.Thanos and Joker.

There are really just a ton of what I would consider overpriced Bronze Age first appearances, Iron fist, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Sabertooth, Luke Cage all come to mind. Bronze Age was when Marvel became more popular and when they starting printing more and better quality. (no more marvel chipping) A lot more issues survived, making all of these comics super common. None of the characters listed above are A-list characters, most aren't even B-list, yet they attract a ton of money because Marvel is hot right now.

13 hours ago, cosmic_surfer said:

Hands down - Warewolf by Night 32 is the most overrated comic book right now. I don’t see any upside with that book. Do you guys seriously see MK headlining an MCU / Disney Movie? Might show up in Disney+ streaming but I’m sure it will be a tamed version, which will suck anyways. 

Agreed, never really liked the character, don't get the hype.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Speaking of vilians,which makes me realize if I had to name some overpriced first appearance,than it be of Darkseid.

Mainstream people would just think of Darkseid as a Thanos rip-off. Yeah I know Darkseid came first,but mainstream doesn't.

Plus does anybody really want to see the Thanos story retold again with Darkseid replacing him on the screen? Do we really want to see Justice League take on Darkseid for like 5 DC movies?

So yeah my pick would be first Darkseid who unfortunately would now be considered a poor man`s Thanos to the rest of the world.

Sadly, I agree completely on the Darkseid/Thanos perception with the public. A craggy faced alien overlord who seeks the "anti life equation"? Definitely a "been there done that" with the average movie-going public, I'm afraid. WB/DC missed the boat here. Is the New Gods film still happening? If so, they're going to have to work hard to make Darkseid seem unique.

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good point. Kevin Feige beat DCEU to the punch here. I’m not even sure what can DCEU offer us geeks that the MCU hasn’t. 

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That I agree with.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

First off Darkseid is Nothing like Thanos personality wise. His motives are much more sinister. In the Comics Thanos is crazy and in love with death. From the MCU perspective, Marvel has taken an approach with Thanos that paints him as the great equalizer of the universe. Darkseid wants to bend everything and everyone to his will. Thanos in the MCU is trying to do the right thing, at least in his eyes. Doesn't scream I want to rule the universe and all that live in it. 

I agree that DC should not do what they did with Thanos and drag a Darkseid story out 5 movies. But to say Darkseid is a poor mans Thanos just shows how little you know about the character. One example would be the episode on the superman animated series from the 90s where Darkseid captures superman and makes him believe he is his son. That's just one example of how DC could use him in a way that would not make him look like a rip off of Thanos.

Also how is his first appearance over priced?

I would argue that out of every villain's first appearance Darkseid both in cameo and full are great value considering there is no hype at the moment for him. Due to the uncertainty of the DCEU. His Cameo in JO 134 hasn't really increased that much over the last 5 years, I recently bought a CGC 7.5 for like 215$. His first full appearance in Forever People #1 at CGC 9.0 can be had for 250-300$

Seems reasonable to me for one of the biggest and baddest villains in the Dc universe (shrug)

21 minutes ago, grayzr said:

But to say Darkseid is a poor mans Thanos just shows how little you know about the character

Which proves my point. If I a comic reader/collector think that about Darkseid than what do you think mainstream would think about Darkseid?

If DC ever made a series of movies about Darkseid we would find mainstream will say here we go again DC trying to copy Marvel.

Marvel hit gold with Thanos. Anything done by DC with Darkseid would seem second rate now.

Marvel beat them to the punch.

btw @grayzr Nice avatar.

:foryou:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Which proves my point. If I a comic reader/collector think that about Darkseid than what do you think mainstream would think about Darkseid?

If DC ever made a series of movies about Darkseid we would find mainstream will say here we go again DC trying to copy Marvel.

Marvel hit gold with Thanos. Anything done by DC with Darkseid would seem second rate now.

Marvel beat them to the punch.

btw @grayzr Nice avatar.

:foryou:

So what your saying is if a movie came out with Darkseid that painted him completely different from Thanos and the plot was great that all everyone would care about is that he is a rip off of thanos?

What?