• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overpriced 1st appearances
3 3

179 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, grayzr said:

So what your saying is if a movie came out with Darkseid that painted him completely different from Thanos and the plot was great that all everyone would care about is that he is a rip off of thanos?

What?

I don't think the fandom would want to go thru a big cosmic adventure again like this current Thanos storyline. I think people after this Thanos saga ends would want something else, and not another similar end of the universe Darkseid storyline.

The movie audience has been there now with Thanos. It all seemed new.

With Darkseid it just would seem like the same storyline all over again almost.

I know I give the DC movie Universe a hard pass if I knew that all their movies would be centered around fighting Darkseid.

I am glad DC is now taking a different route and making the DC movies stand alones.

Unfortunately for Darkseid is that Thanos made his movie appearances first and is now a household name.

Image result for thanos

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
14 minutes ago, grayzr said:

So what your saying is if a movie came out with Darkseid that painted him completely different from Thanos and the plot was great that all everyone would care about is that he is a rip off of thanos?

What?

If he’s purple, then yes.

I was expecting either of these comments to just be one word...

Spoiler

Millinials 

Lol sad but I think that it is true ha.

6 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I don't think the fandom would want to go thru a big cosmic adventure again like this current Thanos storyline. I think people after this Thanos saga ends would want something else, and not another similar end of the universe Darkseid storyline.

The movie audience has been there now with Thanos. It all seemed new.

With Darkseid it just would seem like the same storyline all over again almost.

I know I give the DC movie Universe a hard pass if I knew that all their movies would be centered around fighting Darkseid.

I am glad DC is now taking a different route and making the DC movies stand alones.

Unfortunately for Darkseid is that Thanos made his movie appearances first and is now a household name.

Image result for thanos

Thats my point though, if say they did the superman story line from the the Superman Animated series then it would be a much different tone. I agreed that doing the same type of formula that Marvell has would not work. The 5 movie, massive universal event type thing would be seen as a copy. But my point was Darkseid can be used differently.

6 hours ago, serling1978 said:
7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think because Ronan and Ultron were both villians. I think somewhere earlier in the thread said most villians are overhyped/priced. There could be something to that as villians don't seem to have the holding power as heroes.

Maybe only Thanos and the Joker would be considered the exception to the rule of villian`s first appearance being overpriced/hyped?

Don't forget about Dr Doom. First real Marvel villian. Once they some day make a FF movie from Marvel Studios his intro will get a nice sustainable bump.

And maybe Magneto. Depending on how they handle him. Might also get a sustainable movie hype bump

So Magneto’s first appearance might be a keeper?  I can get behind that.

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

Have to throw Hawkman #4 out there. Great cover, silver age, and Zatanna is a great character.....but there is a 9.2 listed for $4,250!!!!

That book has grown quite a lot recently. I was lucky enough to get mine cheap, but we got to remember there's only 733 copies on the census. That's still a lot less than most marvel overpriced keys.

On 2/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, Mercury Man said:

I always go back to Avengers 55.  People were wetting themselves due to Ultron's first appearance, Avengers movie etc.  It has come down quite a bit from a few years ago.   Do we expect the same from Iron Man 55?

No because Thanos >>>>>ultron

16 hours ago, grayzr said:

Thats my point though, if say they did the superman story line from the the Superman Animated series then it would be a much different tone. I agreed that doing the same type of formula that Marvell has would not work. The 5 movie, massive universal event type thing would be seen as a copy. But my point was Darkseid can be used differently.

And yet, the entire DC movie universe was being built around a space tyrant who was seeking "mother boxes". 

3 hours ago, MadJimJaspers said:

And yet, the entire DC movie universe was being built around a space tyrant who was seeking "mother boxes". 

yeah nothing new, DC can't figure out how to be original even though most of the marvel characters are rip offs of their own ideas. its a sad state of affairs

On 2/23/2019 at 1:12 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

All of them.

I agree. Tv, Netflix and movies have driven prices so crazy, I think a crash is coming. Maybe a crash isn’t the correct word but I think these over inflated prices will drop drastically. Even bad 1st appearance that are plentiful jumped a lot. It can’t last.

1 hour ago, sagekilz said:

Silver Sable's first appearance (ASM #265) is increasing in value and I just don't understand as to why.  Other than the recent video game appearance, I don't see the connection.

There was supposed to be some appearance in a film or TV show.  I bought one a few years ago and saw a few recently that were much higher than what I remember paying.

It’s amazing how a tv show or movie can influence and drive up the value of a comics first appearance. In most cases it’s people trying to cash in on the hype. Are they creating new comic readers and collectors or just people buying up first appearance with hopes of a future profit?