Overpriced 1st appearances
3 3

179 posts in this topic

574 posts

Always wondered why Sabertooth's first appearance carried so much value. 9.0 - 9.4 around a $500+ tag. Slightly above a first Iron Fist in most listings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
574 posts
40 minutes ago, Illustrious said:

Agreed, and I'd add that Moon Knight's first appearance is also way overpriced at the moment across all grades. There's a lot of baked in movie/TV speculation at the current asking prices for something that hasn't been announced or even hinted at by Feige and crew..

Yes...for years this has been overpriced while werewolf by night first is still very modest in price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,509 posts
2 hours ago, Illustrious said:

Agreed, and I'd add that Moon Knight's first appearance is also way overpriced at the moment across all grades. There's a lot of baked in movie/TV speculation at the current asking prices for something that hasn't been announced or even hinted at by Feige and crew..

Always felt Moon Knights popularity was based on a cool look and perception that greatness would come. It's been that way for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,509 posts
11 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

ASM129 feels overpriced to me at the moment. They’re everywhere you turn!

I had a VG 4.0 as a young teen. Found it at a friend of my parent's house and they said I could keep it. This was 1980. Got rid of it in 1986 during college. Hindsight being 2020.... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,627 posts

Steppenwolf - New Gods 7. The absolute, main reason why I gave up chasing after a high grade run of Kirby's New Gods.  No way in hell  I'm paying the stupid, inflated prices for a book based on flipper's speculation for a failed movie. 

Edited by Brian48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
574 posts
3 minutes ago, jharvey said:

Amazing Spider-Man #101

Just posted that...funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,577 posts
50 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Steppenwolf - New Gods 7. The absolute, main reason why I gave up chasing after a high grade run of Kirby's New Gods.  No way in hell  I'm paying the stupid, inflated prices for a book based on flipper's speculation for a failed movie. 

You are right it takes the fun out of completing the run. We have Werewolf 32 Tomb of Dracula 10 even Amazing Spider-man 129 or Hulk 181 with how many collectors waiting.(thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
263 posts

How about FF48? I love the character but it is way overpriced when you add in the warehouse find and how common it is compared to other issues in the same era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
171 posts

I almost want to sell my 101 that I got 2 years ago.  It has more than doubled in value since that time.  I just can't get rid of any Spider-Man books though.  I don't think the Iron Fist 14 is overpriced.  It's not the most common book, it has the one of the earliest examples of Byrne's classic style of art, and IMO Sabretooth was the absolute coolest villain in the MU before they messed him up in the early 90's.

 

My list of overpriced first appearances would be:

Marvel Winter Special 8- I love this book with its pretty cover and colors but Squirrel Girl?  

Sub-Mariner 5- Maybe not too overpriced but I wish I could get a nice one of these without going too much over 50 bucks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,183 posts
4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

All of them.

That's not true even in this crazy market... until the character is even rumored to be adapted to some other media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,018 posts

Marvel Spotlight #2 Werewolf By Night. I don't get it. I know it lasted 43 issues, but werewolves were around way before marvel created one. :preach:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,422 posts

I always go back to Avengers 55.  People were wetting themselves due to Ultron's first appearance, Avengers movie etc.  It has come down quite a bit from a few years ago.   Do we expect the same from Iron Man 55?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,264 posts
50 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

I almost want to sell my 101 that I got 2 years ago.  It has more than doubled in value since that time.  I just can't get rid of any Spider-Man books though.  I don't think the Iron Fist 14 is overpriced.  It's not the most common book, it has the one of the earliest examples of Byrne's classic style of art, and IMO Sabretooth was the absolute coolest villain in the MU before they messed him up in the early 90's.

 

My list of overpriced first appearances would be:

Marvel Winter Special 8- I love this book with its pretty cover and colors but Squirrel Girl?  

Sub-Mariner 5- Maybe not too overpriced but I wish I could get a nice one of these without going too much over 50 bucks.

 

Undervalued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3