• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overpriced 1st appearances
3 3

179 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I can appreciate the scarcity of HOS 92 as much as anyone, but Swamp Thing is a C-level character and you are comparing its 1st appearance valuation against the 1st appearance of the modern X-Men, arguable the most popular title of the past 30+ years, and you’re telling me I’m wrong???  Lol 😂 

Dude,  swamp thing is awesome! In addition to being the first appearance,  hos 92 has one of the best comic covers ever.   It's also pretty rare. James Wan made aquaman a $ 1 Billion franchise... he will do a good job with the new R rated SWAMP thing tv show...The train is just getting started...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3520898/james-wan-produced-swamp-thing-aims-rated-r-graphic-violence/

Edited by Wolverinex

How is a book "overpriced" if it consistently sells at those prices? Overpriced means something is "priced more than it is worth." If Sabertooth's first appearances are selling (not just being listed) at $500 in 9.0, that is how much it is worth.

This thread should be titled "Prices on first appearances I wouldn't personally pay." 

Edited by SBRobin

17 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

In addition to being the first appearance,  hos 92 has one of the best comic covers ever.

But it's not, really. The character in HoS 92 is not the same character that appears in Swamp Thing 1 (and subsequent issues).

40 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Really none because as long as they keep making movies and TV shows they will continue to go up.

:fear:

And once they stop, the bottom will drop out.

26 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

But it's not, really. The character in HoS 92 is not the same character that appears in Swamp Thing 1 (and subsequent issues).

Yup. It's been retconned by Alan Moore as a previous incarnation of the Swamp Elemental.

Not Alec Holland, but not totally without relevance.

Edited by Ken Aldred

57 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes,  you are correct but its the initial incarnation.   Most people and the market recognize HOS 92 as the creature's first appearance. 

Even the official dc website notes this.

https://www.dccomics.com/characters/swamp-thing

Edited by Wolverinex

47 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

HOS was a series of one off stories. While the name Alec Holland is never mentioned, it's clear who is appearing in the issue. You could make this comparison with a whole stack of other characters...even 181 vs canon wolverine. 

1 minute ago, MadJimJaspers said:

While the name Alec Holland is never mentioned, it's clear who is appearing in the issue.

Yes, Alex Olson, who was murdered by the friend who was in love with his wife.

You know you can actually read comics, right?

4 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

You could make this comparison with a whole stack of other characters...even 181 vs canon wolverine.

???

18 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Whose to say they will stop?

Been about 20 years since that first X-Men movie.

:preach:

Hollywood works in cycles.  They will run something into the ground and move on.  Look at westerns and crime dramas.  Yes, they are still made but to a much smaller degree and they aren't the money makers they used to be.

The modern prices have gone up exponentially since the first Avengers and sustaining those prices with a fickle public is problematic.  There will always be the hard core collectors (like myself), but how many people invest in comics like they did Beanie babies, baseball cards, and the comics of the 90s?

A big problem I am seeing is the buying of multiples again.  This time it's back issues instead of the new ones.

I know several people who bought multiple Hulk 181s.  That book is common as dirt.  When the prices dip, a large number of people will dump the books, flooding the market, and causing a downward spiral.

This has happened in several markets throughout history.  Comics are not above the whims of the public.

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

The price of Hero For Hire 1 seems to have been slowly dropping for a little while now.  I think Spider-Woman is next... Spotlight 32 and Spider-Woman 1 aren't that hard to find.  I don't know what's keeping them afloat.

time to buy high grade copies

1 hour ago, D84 said:

I know several people who bought multiple Hulk 181s.  That book is common as dirt.  When the prices dip, a large number of people will dump the books, flooding the market, and causing a downward spiral.

eh. as this book skyrocketed in 2018 there were plenty of sales trying to cash in on the boom. since fall, prices have come back a bit and even more copies came on the market, and you know, its holding its value just fine. it may not jump in value again for some time, but there wont be any downward spiral. 

FF  annual  #6 is rocketing.  Still on an upward trajectory.  Get em now before its a $1000 book.  Annihilus or Franklin appear in a movie and its game over that book will be out of reach.

Edited by kav

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, Alex Olson, who was murdered by the friend who was in love with his wife.

You know you can actually read comics, right?

???

It's been awhile since I read it (and only once) so I wasn't aware he was actually named. I remembered him appearing to kill his murderer.

Wolverine in 181 is never mentioned as a mutant nor any mention of mutant abilities. His claws are attached to his gloves, his costume is slightly different, and he has virtually no impact on the story other than as a distraction. Yes, I've read it...

Thus, I made the comparison of 181 wolverine to X-men wolverine just as the comparison was made with HOS92 and Swamp thing 1.

Edited by MadJimJaspers