• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top of CGC case not entirely sealed?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

The top edge of the outer holder of the Generation 2 CGC slab is not actually sealed. It's not obvious that it is unsealed on most slabs. But it is not.  BTW, this is where one starts if you are wanting to crack open the slab to remove a comic from the Generation 2 CGC case. 

41 minutes ago, Tony S said:

The top edge of the outer holder of the Generation 2 CGC slab is not actually sealed. It's not obvious that it is unsealed on most slabs. But it is not.  BTW, this is where one starts if you are wanting to crack open the slab to remove a comic from the Generation 2 CGC case. 

Thanks. That's good to know. Would this be considered a poor sealing job since it is obvious?

Edited by Darkowl

I don't think so. The gap seems pretty small based on the video. It looks like it would be difficult for instance to shove a penny in the gap. 

And that is the actual purpose I believe of the outer holder not being sealed at the top.  When opening a slab I use a (very long) flat head screw driver, starting at the middle of the top. Work it in a bit, then slide left to right and pop it open along the top. Then work down along one or both sides. You can find YouTube videos on cracking the Gen 2 CGC slab. 

Keep in mind that one of the purposes of a slabbing a professional, 3rd party graded comic is for it to be tamper EVIDENT, not tamper proof.  There are legitimate reasons to remove a comic book from encapsulation. And you want to be able to do that removal without damaging the comic inside. If the outer holder was 100%, totally sealed along all four edges you'd need a hammer and chisel to get started. So the outer holder is not actually sealed at the middle of the top edge. But it is impossible to crack open CGC's Gen 2  slab without it being obvious 

Edited by Tony S

13 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I don't think so. The gap seems pretty small based on the video. It looks like it would be difficult for instance to shove a penny in the gap. 

And that is the actual purpose I believe of the outer holder not being sealed at the top.  When opening a slab I use a (very long) flat head screw driver, starting at the middle of the top. Work it in a bit, then slide left to right and pop it open along the top. Then work down along one or both sides. You can find YouTube videos on cracking the Gen 2 CGC slab. 

Keep in mind that one of the purposes of a slabbing a professional, 3rd party graded comic is for it to be tamper EVIDENT, not tamper proof.  There are legitimate reasons to remove a comic book from encapsulation. And you want to be able to do that removal without damaging the comic inside. If the outer holder was 100%, totally sealed along all four edges you'd need a hammer and chisel to get started. So the outer holder is not actually sealed at the middle of the top edge. But it is impossible to crack open CGC's Gen 2  slab without it being obvious 

Thanks again! Incredibly informative.