• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first book sent off to be slabbed

11 posts in this topic

Long time collector, and I own many slabs, but have never sent a book to be graded until today. Only reason I am sending this one in is because I intend to sell it and was nervous about selling it raw because it should fetch close to $1,000, which for me will easily be the most expensive book I will have sold. I went through a CGC authorized dealer in my area who I trust. Only thing I heard that was something of a concern was they mentioned that if CGC for some reason does not grade the book, CGC does not refund the grading fees. Is that accurate? I don't think there is any reason they would not grade this book, but that seems a little strange that they would not refund fees if they did not slab the book.

Anyway, not sure if going through a dealer is the way most do it on their first try, but it seemed to be the easiest thing to do. Will update this thread when I receive the book back.

The book in question is not a book where pressing is needed, I don't think. Not wrinkled or creased in any way. One of the main things I was worried about is that the source of the book was known to have books that were color touched which caught a few underground collectors by surprise when they graded his books. I'm pretty sure that's not the case with this item as it is more of a newsprint type paper that it is printed on (including the cover).

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Are we talking about Zap #1?

No, I have a Zap #1 2nd print. but not looking to sell and it wouldn't grade that high as it wasn't from Donahue. It's a book called Ebon, has really blown up on eBay recently. Has some historical significance as it is the first African-American solo superhero book, predating Hero for Hire #1 by about a year and a half. 

On 2/24/2019 at 12:07 PM, Brother J said:

No, I have a Zap #1 2nd print. but not looking to sell and it wouldn't grade that high as it wasn't from Donahue. It's a book called Ebon, has really blown up on eBay recently. Has some historical significance as it is the first African-American solo superhero book, predating Hero for Hire #1 by about a year and a half. 

It FINALLY has come in. Took over four months to get back, which has pretty much soured me on sending in anything again. It came back at a 9.0, so I'm thrilled with that. No picture yet, as I have to go to the shop tomorrow and pick it up. Just hope the market hasn't totally cooled on this book considering how long it took to get back.

9 hours ago, Brother J said:

It FINALLY has come in. Took over four months to get back, which has pretty much soured me on sending in anything again. It came back at a 9.0, so I'm thrilled with that. No picture yet, as I have to go to the shop tomorrow and pick it up. Just hope the market hasn't totally cooled on this book considering how long it took to get back.

Glad you're happy with the assigned grade.  Being unfamiliar with your comic I looked it up on the CGC census, finding that there's only a single copy graded higher than yours.  (thumbsu

I feel you on the long delay.  The vast majority of my submissions over the years have been on the value tier, and I've taken to treating it like my comics are spending an extended Florida vacation.

Edited by namisgr

Here's the photo. Like namisgr said, I was pleasantly surprised to see it is the second highest graded copy of this. I wasn't even sure if someone else had graded one. There are five copies graded total.

001.JPG