• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 - get it now?
3 3

284 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, drotto said:

If you are an X-Men fan it really is a pick your favorite 1st appearance book. Storm, Colossus,  Nightcrawler, and Thunderbird ( being complete here). Within the bronze age, there is not a bigger 1st appearance book based on shear numbers introduce.

Grant you going forward I think Storm is the big one, even if Nightcrawler is my favorite. 

Technically also Colossus' little sister, Illiyana, had a first appearance there too.

2 hours ago, c_mkv said:

+1

Those auctions aren't really accurate. What heritage does is give everyone 5 seconds to decide whether to bid. If you do your homework, you know when you need to bid to not be the person sitting on the decision whether to pay over GPA. This causes about 3-4 people to simultaneously bid, causing a massive cluster where the last man standing (last person to click) is stuck with a massive bill. I watched it happen to the X-men 4 8.0 WP that sold 11/18 and the recent 9.4 WP that sold a couple weeks ago.

Also, I just checked and this book is being relisted in next weeks auction so someone wasn't happy.

Edited by MadJimJaspers

1 hour ago, MadJimJaspers said:

Those auctions aren't really accurate. What heritage does is give everyone 5 seconds to decide whether to bid. If you do your homework, you know when you need to bid to not be the person sitting on the decision whether to pay over GPA. This causes about 3-4 people to simultaneously bid, causing a massive cluster where the last man standing (last person to click) is stuck with a massive bill. I watched it happen to the X-men 4 8.0 WP that sold 11/18 and the recent 9.4 WP that sold a couple weeks ago.

Also, I just checked and this book is being relisted in next weeks auction so someone wasn't happy.

I know how Heritage works.  The internet portion ended at $2,640 before the live proxy bidding even started so that didn't really have anything to do with where it ended up.  I did see that the book is being reauctioned on 3/18 so you're definitely right about someone not being happy(thumbsu

6 minutes ago, DST said:

I know how Heritage works.  The internet portion ended at $2,640 before the live proxy bidding even started so that didn't really have anything to do with where it ended up.  I did see that the book is being reauctioned on 3/18 so you're definitely right about someone not being happy(thumbsu

That's interesting the internet auction ended at $2,640. Look at the overspray on the bottom. Geeze!

1407097774_gsx18.0.thumb.PNG.ab09f49f2d0052fb9f66e1b6c52b0138.PNG

9 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

That's interesting the internet auction ended at $2,640. Look at the overspray on the bottom. Geeze!

1407097774_gsx18.0.thumb.PNG.ab09f49f2d0052fb9f66e1b6c52b0138.PNG

I know...look at that!  I couldn’t believe my eyes when the internet portion ended.  I never thought it would go even higher...

B0FEFDA3-32FE-4603-A6E8-EB73B4677DAB.jpeg.eb7209fcc2856f2db87c32e3e64ef02a.jpeg

The price for such a flawed copy was absurd!

I just can't believe that anyone would actually put up a price like that unless they were purposefully trying to manipulate the market in some way. The only thing I can think of is two competing nuke bids, but it doesn't explain the added proxy bid at the end to seal the deal. Heritage does state in their contract that they will "bid" on behalf of the seller so maybe they saw the secret bid at one increment higher and said "let's ruin this guy's week/month".

Edited by MadJimJaspers

1 hour ago, DST said:

I know...look at that!  I couldn’t believe my eyes when the internet portion ended.  I never thought it would go even higher...

B0FEFDA3-32FE-4603-A6E8-EB73B4677DAB.jpeg.eb7209fcc2856f2db87c32e3e64ef02a.jpeg

The price for such a flawed copy was absurd!

Maybe that's why it's an 8.0

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Maybe that's why it's an 8.0

My comments had more to do with the eye appeal.  My point was that the hammer price was absurd (even for a mega hot book) when there were MUCH cheaper copies available on ebay even in higher grade and a 9.0 hadn't even sold for more than $2,700 yet.  I could rationalize the price of an 8.0 pushing the current trend if this was a more superior looking copy for the grade.  Since it wasn't, I was shocked at what it went for.

Edited by DST

I am not surprised. This book still has a ways to go to catch up to IH 181. Now that SA keys are hitting $5K for a low grade copy, we are starting to see BA keys play catch up. Add in the factor that Disney/Marvel has the X-Franchise back, there is plenty of room for this book to grow.......

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I am not surprised. This book still has a ways to go to catch up to IH 181. Now that SA keys are hitting $5K for a low grade copy, we are starting to see BA keys play catch up. Add in the factor that Disney/Marvel has the X-Franchise back, there is plenty of room for this book to grow.......

Wow, I can't believe so many people miss the point!  It's these responses that make me never want to post on these boards.

I am not surprised that GSX1 is a hot book and agree that the book has room to grow and will keep on growing.  All I was doing was posting my shock at a SPECIFIC auction.  The 8.0 that "sold" for $2,880 (whether that auction was completed or the buyer is selling right away) was in my personal opinion an undesirable copy.  Between the spine issues, overspray, and miscentering I was surprised that a book that lacks eye appeal (TO ME) REGARDLESS OF THE GRADE, would set a record price.  But I guess in this current market nothing should really shock me.  And if it does I'll keep it to myself from now on :facepalm:

Edited by DST

27 minutes ago, DST said:

Wow, I can't believe so many people miss the point!  It's these responses that make me never want to post on these boards.

I am not surprised that GSX1 is a hot book and agree that the book has room to grow and will keep on growing.  All I was doing was posting my shock at a SPECIFIC auction.  The 8.0 that "sold" for $2,880 (whether that auction was completed or the buyer is selling right away) was in my personal opinion an undesirable copy.  Between the spine issues, overspray, and miscentering I was surprised that a book that lacks eye appeal (TO ME) REGARDLESS OF THE GRADE, would set a record price.  But I guess in this current market nothing should really shock me.  And if it does I'll keep it to myself from now on :facepalm:

that was my point as well. overspray, centering, cover blunting from overhang, the list goes on. None of these factors play into the grade, but they certainly should affect the overall value.

On 3/6/2019 at 1:57 PM, MyThreeSons said:

Sold the upper left 9.4 one month age for 3500. Seems like bad timing in retrospect. Just checked GPA

7784617A-CB9D-4E5F-9111-75AAE58C265E.png

Wow. Where did you get these? Anyway, yeah - selling a 9.4 of this copy right before Disney finalizes the sale of Fox/Marvel properties.... Because you know what's going to happen; within a few weeks/months of the finalization, Disney is going to announce a new X-Men movie in the works, and the demand for this book is going to catch on fire. Within a year an $800 copy will be going for $1500, and I don't want to think what it'll do with a high grade copy.

Edited by Getoutandstayout
Addition

1 hour ago, DST said:

xD yeah I hear ya. Auctions could be whacky! An IH 181 9.2 auctioned for 8k on C-link not too long ago and a 9.4 auctioned north of 11k just recently on eBay. Outliers happen. Anyways it's a mute point since I think it's being re-auctioned

Picked these up raw in the late 90’s at the old Penn Plaza show while I was in Grad school. Paid 150 for the 9.8 and 125 for the 9.4’s. My non-comic book friends thought I was nuts for spending that much. I remember Carbo running around the show- doesn’t seem like he aged much 

30 minutes ago, MyThreeSons said:

Picked these up raw in the late 90’s at the old Penn Plaza show while I was in Grad school. Paid 150 for the 9.8 and 125 for the 9.4’s. My non-comic book friends thought I was nuts for spending that much. I remember Carbo running around the show- doesn’t seem like he aged much 

Is that sarcasm in reference to carbo?