• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 - get it now?
3 3

284 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Can't believe what people are paying for this book on eBay. It seems like anyone is willing to pay any price for any grade. The value is going to surpass H181 at this rate!

Do I sense a bubble? hm

The only bubble is the one people are gunna hate to be in for not buying this book before it goes all Hulk 181 on yo butt!

17 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

The only bubble is the one people are gunna hate to be in for not buying this book before it goes all Hulk 181 on yo butt!

Maybe, maybe not (though I hope you're right). I just think It feels a bit unnatural and chaotic the way this book is rising. 

Edited by Darkowl

On 4/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, Darkowl said:

Can't believe what people are paying for this book on eBay. It seems like anyone is willing to pay any price for any grade. The value is going to surpass H181 at this rate!

Do I sense a bubble? hm

Agreed.  I bought Hulk 181 at the top of the bubble and now it's about 500 dollars cheaper... GSX1 is way too high now

55 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Agreed.  I bought Hulk 181 at the top of the bubble and now it's about 500 dollars cheaper... GSX1 is way too high now

$500 cheaper? Which grade did you buy? 9.6? That's the only grade on the census showing a down arrow (probably because it's still early in the year). All other grades are at an incline. 

Edited by Darkowl

"Herd mentality, mob mentality and pack mentality, also lesser known as gang mentality, describes how people can be influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors on a largely emotional, rather than rational, basis. When individuals are affected by mob mentality, they may make different decisions than they would have individually." - look it up.  I think this applies to GSX1. IMO

6 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

"Herd mentality, mob mentality and pack mentality, also lesser known as gang mentality, describes how people can be influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors on a largely emotional, rather than rational, basis. When individuals are affected by mob mentality, they may make different decisions than they would have individually." - look it up.  I think this applies to GSX1. IMO

You think these prices are based on people's emotions?

A rational person would see current prices of similar key books and make a logical conclusion that the GSX1 would follow a similar trend. 

1 minute ago, MadJimJaspers said:

You think these prices are based on people's emotions?

A rational person would see current prices of similar key books and make a logical conclusion that the GSX1 would follow a similar trend. 

Only time will tell.  :shy:   One way to look at this suggestion is to first try and disagree before agreeing with the herd. 

4 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

Only time will tell.  :shy:   One way to look at this suggestion is to first try and disagree before agreeing with the herd. 

I'm not agreeing with the "herd". I'm agreeing with aggregate sales trends. 

On your suggestion of trying and disagreeing, are you implying that you purchased a GSX1 in the past and have concluded that it is now less valuable? I don't understand your point.

9 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

I'm not agreeing with the "herd". I'm agreeing with aggregate sales trends. 

On your suggestion of trying and disagreeing, are you implying that you purchased a GSX1 in the past and have concluded that it is now less valuable? I don't understand your point.

I am not implying anything.  I am having an academic conversation, which has nothing to do with whether I own GSX1 or not.

The "herd" creates the aggregate sales trends...   they are linked to each other - if you only look at the end sales and not what possibly motivated the buyers all at the same time - than you see the effect alone and not the cause.   

Daniel J. Howard, a marketing professor at Southern Methodist University, says investor behavior demonstrates the principle of social proof: The more an individual sees those around him believing something or acting a certain way, the more the individual believes that thing to be true or the behavior appropriate.

"Stock market bubbles and crashes are caused by herd mentality," Dr. Howard said. "It's scary to me because we make our own heaven, and we make our own hell."

Edited by Roger66

18 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

I am not implying anything.  I am having an academic conversation, which has nothing to do with whether I own GSX1 or not.

The "herd" creates the aggregate sales trends...   they are linked to each other - if you only look at the end sales and not what possibly motivated the buyers all at the same time - than you see the effect alone and not the cause.   

Daniel J. Howard, a marketing professor at Southern Methodist University, says investor behavior demonstrates the principle of social proof: The more an individual sees those around him believing something or acting a certain way, the more the individual believes that thing to be true or the behavior appropriate.

"Stock market bubbles and crashes are caused by herd mentality," Dr. Howard said. "It's scary to me because we make our own heaven, and we make our own hell."

While I agree that you can associate stock bubbles and crashes to this market, you aren't including the collector and fan aspects of these purchases. A person purchases stock to see gains, while a person who enjoys comic books might actually enjoy the books they are buying. When someone buys a GSX1, is it not out of the question to assume some of those purchases were made strictly out of personal attachment to the characters? No one buys 5 shares of Facebook and says, "I just really love Mark Zuckerberg. I think I will be happier as a person if I support that feeling."

8 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

While I agree that you can associate stock bubbles and crashes to this market, you aren't including the collector and fan aspects of these purchases. A person purchases stock to see gains, while a person who enjoys comic books might actually enjoy the books they are buying. When someone buys a GSX1, is it not out of the question to assume some of those purchases were made strictly out of personal attachment to the characters? No one buys 5 shares of Facebook and says, "I just really love Mark Zuckerberg. I think I will be happier as a person if I support that feeling."

People are fans of particular stocks (Apple) and use the products associated with said stock..  just as much as an owner of 10 copies of GSX1 is a fan of the characters and perhaps watches the movies.  Comics are like stocks nowadays and I see them interchangeable for more and more collectors, who look at GPA like a stock ticker.  A person purchases stock and comics these days often to see gains despite the obvious fan element of comics. 

16 hours ago, Roger66 said:

People are fans of particular stocks (Apple) and use the products associated with said stock..  just as much as an owner of 10 copies of GSX1 is a fan of the characters and perhaps watches the movies.  

That's a stretch, and there's a huge difference between the two. People are emotionally involved and ivested with comic book characters. This is generally not the case with Apple products. It's a major element that seperates comic books from stocks.

Unless you're only in the comic book industry for the flipping aspects of it and don't care about the characters, it is an unbalanced and unfair comparison.  People just aren't attached to stocks the same way they are to comic book characters, and this plays a large role on how the market unfolds. 

Edited by Darkowl

43 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

That's a stretch, and there's a huge difference between the two. People are emotionally involved and ivested with comic book characters. This is generally not the case with Apple products. It's a major element that seperates comic books from stocks.

Unless you're only in the comic book industry for the flipping aspects of it and don't care about the characters, it is an unbalanced and unfair comparison.  People just aren't attached to stocks the same way they are to comic book characters, and this plays a large role on how the market unfolds. 

I am not saying there isn't a greater emotional component to comics over stocks esp when many of us as a child read and re-read and collected them right off the newsstand.  But as prices continue to soar almost yearly 'the stretch' is quite diminished.  This is not about flippers vs collectors or anything in-between but about the hard cold fact that this hobby has exponentially grown in total wealth.  I see nothing unbalanced or unfair about my comparison - you can love this hobby but at the same time think of your collection as a stock-portfolio.  I think perhaps your nostalgia, which I have plenty of for this hobby, has you creating a division when the line really has become quite blurred. 

31 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

I am not saying there isn't a greater emotional component to comics over stocks esp when many of us as a child read and re-read and collected them right off the newsstand.  But as prices continue to soar almost yearly 'the stretch' is quite diminished.  This is not about flippers vs collectors or anything in-between but about the hard cold fact that this hobby has exponentially grown in total wealth.  I see nothing unbalanced or unfair about my comparison - you can love this hobby but at the same time think of your collection as a stock-portfolio.  I think perhaps your nostalgia, which I have plenty of for this hobby, has you creating a division when the line really has become quite blurred. 

The division i made is basically the same one you acknowledged in the first sentence of your post. This is such a huge difference, and is exactly why you can't compare the two when speaking in general terms. The variables are so much more complicated than stocks (in that sense).

And no, this has EVERYTHING to do with flippers vs collectors, (and everything in between). Who do you think is driving up the total wealth?! BOTH of them are, and they both have different reasons for being so willing to drive up that wealth. You can't just say this is all about growth in total wealth, and then throw out the reasons for it. But this is a seperate point from the one I was originally disputing. 

Edited by Darkowl

1 minute ago, Darkowl said:

The division i made is basically the same one you acknowledged in the first sentence of your post. This is such a huge difference, and is exactly why you can't compare the two when speaking in general terms.

And no, this has EVERYTHING to do with flippers vs collectors, (and everything in between). Who do you think is driving up the total wealth?! BOTH of them are, and they both have different reasons for being so willing to drive up that wealth. You can't just say this is all about growth in total wealth, and then throw out the reasons for it. 

Hollywood movies are in very large part driving up the total wealth (as is herd mentality).  You are too quick to call out 'flippers' as if they carry the responsibility for prices going up.  

23 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

Hollywood movies are in very large part driving up the total wealth (as is herd mentality).  You are too quick to call out 'flippers' as if they carry the responsibility for prices going up.  

Yes, Hollywood films have played a huge role. Go back and read where i said, "they both have their reasons". But, yeah, flippers play a role. That's kinda the idea behind flipping. Some just like to fish more than others. :wink: Collectors are to "blame" as well, so I'm certainly not discriminating here.

Heard mentality? Yep, i agree with that too.

But my main dispute was against your comparison between stocks and comics. The differences are so significant that they demand the prevention of blanket statements that would clump them together. 

Edited by Darkowl

On 4/19/2019 at 6:23 PM, MadJimJaspers said:

^^

On 4/19/2019 at 5:25 PM, Roger66 said:

People are in FOMO mode right now which is driving crazy prices... Odd that the 9.8 hasn't really fluctuated much, when 181 skyrocketed it began with the 9.8 which caused others to have to buy the best copy they could afford, so slowly the price jump filtered down to the mid and low grades...   This GSX craze seems be the opposite, seems to have started with the low/mid grade affordable copies which have slowly bumped up the 9s... Just based off what I've seen, sellers are creating the hype (it started a few months ago), and I'd agree the pack mentality and FOMO took over.  

But with all that being said, this has been a very undervalued book for a long time, so glad to see it finally getting some love. I don't think it'll reach Hulk 181 levels, none of the introduced characters in the book have the following Wolverine has, can a one decent character (storm), a few subpar characters (all the other ones) but the beginning of the new X-Men era compete with wolverine?  Will be interesting to see what happens  :)