• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 - get it now?
3 3

284 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, lowgradecomics said:

People are in FOMO mode right now which is driving crazy prices... Odd that the 9.8 hasn't really fluctuated much, when 181 skyrocketed it began with the 9.8 which caused others to have to buy the best copy they could afford, so slowly the price jump filtered down to the mid and low grades...   This GSX craze seems be the opposite, seems to have started with the low/mid grade affordable copies which have slowly bumped up the 9s... Just based off what I've seen, sellers are creating the hype (it started a few months ago), and I'd agree the pack mentality and FOMO took over.  

But with all that being said, this has been a very undervalued book for a long time, so glad to see it finally getting some love. I don't think it'll reach Hulk 181 levels, none of the introduced characters in the book have the following Wolverine has, can a one decent character (storm), a few subpar characters (all the other ones) but the beginning of the new X-Men era compete with wolverine?  Will be interesting to see what happens  :)

It's the second full wolverine...

Just because it might factor however slightly....

Also I've noticed that cgc doesn't often put more than the first 2 appearances of a character 

I can understand that FOMO might be a factor, but at what point in price stability does it become valid or justified....?

Seemingly there are a finite of graded copies, if one can no longer afford SA, then why not go after BA. Seems like GSXM #1 was due a boost or bump, so I can see how it all might be justifiably valid, no matter the cause? :shy: 

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Do I dare bring up census? 8K

Nobody knows when the rocket boosters will run out of fuel, but there is no doubt in my mind it will end badly. I say that with no joy. I hate seeing books act like this...scares the heck outta me.

Agreed.  Which comic is next?

Do I dare bring up census? 8K

Nobody knows when the rocket boosters will run out of fuel, but there is no doubt in my mind it will end badly. I say that with no joy. I hate seeing books act like this...scares the heck outta me.

I think this book has been undervalue for a long time and yes these current asking prices are crazy but there are other books that have escalated to the same craziness and in my opinion are even a less worthy book . Take a look at ASM 129 which is similarly priced at insane levels...there is a 9.8 ow-w on Ebay asking for $20k right now and this book is just shy of 11K census and arguably less important than GSX 1. 

11 minutes ago, carefulsum said:

I think this book has been undervalue for a long time and yes these current asking prices are crazy but there are other books that have escalated to the same craziness and in my opinion are even a less worthy book . Take a look at ASM 129 which is similarly priced at insane levels...there is a 9.8 ow-w on Ebay asking for $20k right now and this book is just shy of 11K census and arguably less important than GSX 1. 

I don't disagree. GSX1 is a great book, and I don't think anyone is debating that...and it's certainly not the only one exploding. However, I've noticed the mid-grades for this book making particularly large jumps in "value" over the past month. We're talking 50% jump in 30 days folks...without new news driving it. BUT....GET IT WHILE YOU CAN FOLKS!! ONLY 8,000 COPIES, and counting, TO GO AROUND!!

giphy.gif

I don't disagree. GSX1 is a great book, and I don't think anyone is debating that...and it's certainly not the only one exploding. However, I've noticed the mid-grades for this book making particularly large jumps in "value" over the past month. We're talking 50% jump in 30 days folks...without new news driving it. BUT....GET IT WHILE YOU CAN FOLKS!! ONLY 8,000 COPIES, and counting, TO GO AROUND!!

giphy.gif

That's what I said... this explosion began with the low/mid grades, it wasn't until they started jumping that the 9+'s started moving upwards, and the 9.8 is still pretty steady.. Books generally explode from the top and work their way down, so this GSX craze just seems strange to me.  (the way the rise began is crazy, not that the book is finally getting some love)

I'm definitely a believer, even as long-winded as I was above. I just think it's gonna take a hit sooner than later, then settle somewhere comfortable.

I think the hobby is growing with people finally being able to afford the books they grew up with. I grew up loving Wolverine and the X-men and recently got back into the hobby(about 4-5 years ago). The first book I had to have was Hulk 181 with GSX1 and Xmen 1 not far behind. I've since upgraded several times because there are so many copies out there and plan on keeping mine for awhile. 

Also, if you'e a marvel junkie (like I am) the mutant books are still super cheap compared to the rest of Marvels A-list characters(Spidey, Hulk etc.). Plus, there are a bunch of other bronze books getting some crazy attention lately like WWBN32:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26code%3D2019apr%26session%3D1%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.Type%2C%2Bi.Title%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Dsortcond%26ODire3%3DDESC%23Item_1315204&id=1315204&itemType=0

When speaking in terms of comics, I think the word "bubble" needs to be replaced with something else. Bubbles burst, which is something key issue comics normally don't do.

Look at Walking Dead 1, for example. Tons of people thought that was a bubble, but the value didn't burst, it gradually declined, which is exactly what's going to happen to GSXM1. Even then, it seems like the WD1 has found its value niche at 2k, and will probably will always be worth that.

The way GSXM1 has risen in value is crazy. Sure, it's been undervalued for a long time, but that's not really the reason why it exploded. It's the Disney/Fox deal, and a reason like that seems unsustainable and unattractive to me. I think we're going to see a decline within the next 6 months, and I'll be dumping my copy as soon as those green arrows on the census turn red. As for now, I'm enjoying watching the equity grow in my 9.0.