• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 - get it now?
3 3

284 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Meh...I don’t think Wolverine is carrying the value for gsx1. At least, for me personally it doesn’t...

It's no secret that it's the 2nd full appearance of Wolverine, and also marks the significant moment in comic book history when he joins the X-Men. Obviously, It's not as monumental as H181, but nevertheless, it still contributes to the overall value of the book.

GSXM1 is an odd duck when you think about it, because there's a lot of factors that give the book its value.

Edited by Darkowl

As a kid collecting in the early 80s, GSX 1 was desirable because it was the first new X-Men, not because it was an early appearance of Wolverine. That doesn’t mean perceptions can change over time though.

I think all the X-men from 94-143 are undervalued given their importance and how that run has influenced stories for the last 40 years.

One other thing that GSX 1 has going for it, that never gets mentioned is that Wolverine changes his mask from his appearance in Hulk, and that is how he looks going forward. For a character of such significance I think it is an important footnote at least.

It's my favourite Bronze Age key.  Fantastic book.

All of the new additions; Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler and Thunderbird, are great characters.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Well ... the book is a very very good addition to any collection, however prices are out of place for the book. As people are expecting to get 2k and 3k for low grades.... it's all FOMO imo. Besides owning a copy now or in a few more months won't make anyone rich.

27 minutes ago, UHA said:

Well ... the book is a very very good addition to any collection, however prices are out of place for the book. As people are expecting to get 2k and 3k for low grades.... it's all FOMO imo. Besides owning a copy now or in a few more months won't make anyone rich.

What? Where are they selling for that? A 6.0 (not so low a grade) sold for $970 3 days ago.

36 minutes ago, Finhead said:

What? Where are they selling for that? A 6.0 (not so low a grade) sold for $970 3 days ago.

There's always an aberration. The lowest graded copy on eBay right now is a 3.5 for $1,260, and the price/grade curve seems to go proportionally up from there. 6.0s are not selling generally for under a thousand like that one - far from it. All the ones I'm seeing are close to $2k, if not over it. Whoever got that one for $970 got an extraordinary deal.

15 hours ago, Darkowl said:

The way GSXM1 has risen in value is crazy. Sure, it's been undervalued for a long time, but that's not really the reason why it exploded. It's the Disney/Fox deal, and a reason like that seems unsustainable and unattractive to me. I think we're going to see a decline within the next 6 months, and I'll be dumping my copy as soon as those green arrows on the census turn red. As for now, I'm enjoying watching the equity grow in my 9.0.

LOL - I was saying that a year or two ago about Hulk 181 when I could get a mid-grade copy for $1,200. I couldn't get the same grade now for under $2k. There's no good reason that GS X-Men #1 should "burst." If anything, the expectation that Disney will eventually produce a new X-Men movie will keep this comic red hot until then, at least. And when the film does come out, it's just going to create that many more fans of the characters who wouldn't have know about them otherwise, which will create more demand for their first appearance.

I don't understand why everyone is puzzled by the rise in BA keys. We have seen this cycle how many times now - SA keys jump to new price levels, starting with the top books and then the rest, and then BA keys play catch up a year or two later. IH 181 was the first BA key to spike in the BA cycle, and now the rest are following suit - check out prices on TOD 10, WWBN 32, MS 5, etc. The one book that is not running up with the others right now is ASM #129 - this may be due to the fact it spiked with the Punisher Netflix show, or a sign that it might be time to pick up a copy before it is too late. 

Regardless, once IH 181 ran up during the main convention season last year, it was only a matter of time for other BA keys to follow just like in past cycles.

2 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

There's always an aberration. The lowest graded copy on eBay right now is a 3.5 for $1,260, and the price/grade curve seems to go proportionally up from there. 6.0s are not selling generally for under a thousand like that one - far from it. All the ones I'm seeing are close to $2k, if not over it. Whoever got that one for $970 got an extraordinary deal.

I got my 6.0 less than a month ago for $900, guess it just depends where you look. But yes there going up and people are asking a lot, not sure they are selling at the insane prices just yet though.

7 hours ago, kimik said:

I don't understand why everyone is puzzled by the rise in BA keys. We have seen this cycle how many times now - SA keys jump to new price levels, starting with the top books and then the rest, and then BA keys play catch up a year or two later. IH 181 was the first BA key to spike in the BA cycle, and now the rest are following suit - check out prices on TOD 10, WWBN 32, MS 5, etc. The one book that is not running up with the others right now is ASM #129 - this may be due to the fact it spiked with the Punisher Netflix show, or a sign that it might be time to pick up a copy before it is too late. 

Regardless, once IH 181 ran up during the main convention season last year, it was only a matter of time for other BA keys to follow just like in past cycles.

Are those other books rising as fast as GSXM1? I remember when h181 took off but I do not remember it occurring like this. This feels abnormal to me.

2 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Are those other books rising as fast as GSXM1? I remember when h181 took off but I do not remember it occurring like this. This feels abnormal to me.

IH 181 did pretty much the exact same thing last year. You could buy a 9.4 for $5000 - $54000 until the spring. Then it ran up over the peak convention season, plateaued in September/October, and has pulled back a bit value-wise since in some grades. This year appears to be GSX 1s turn, and other BA keys are starting to run up as well.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, Callaway29 said:

So like FF48 spread to FF49, and then to FF50....and IH181 spread to 180. Is the GSX1 craze going to spread to X94?

The problem with the 94 is how many horribly centered copies there are on the market. For every 2400 sale on a 9.4 there are 2-3 1800 sales on ugly looking copies. I always felt this was the reason why that book was held back over the years (besides the obvious popularity of GSX1).

This book will continue to climb as long as the movie speculation continues and won't settle down until after the movie comes out, we all know the XMen are going to join the MCU and it won't happen for a long time. I should have bought this book a while ago but wanted other books instead and a GSX1 was put on the back burner, it's such a common book but people gotta have it. FF48 is seeing the same thing..prices will continue to rise until we are sitting in our seats at the theater then it depends on how good the movie is that will decide if your investment holds it's market value..rinse and repeat.  

Edited by Kevin76

On 3/11/2019 at 12:30 PM, drotto said:

I have also heard rumors that the earlier grading was much harder on pages. Many people that resubmitted original labels after doing a clean in press, saw page quality and color bumped up.

When CGC was in NJ, they had fluorescent lights.  When they moved down to sunny FLA, they changed their lighting scheme.