• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 - get it now?
3 3

284 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2019 at 6:06 PM, Kevin76 said:

This book will continue to climb as long as the movie speculation continues and won't settle down until after the movie comes out, we all know the XMen are going to join the MCU and it won't happen for a long time. I should have bought this book a while ago but wanted other books instead and a GSX1 was put on the back burner, it's such a common book but people gotta have it. FF48 is seeing the same thing..prices will continue to rise until we are sitting in our seats at the theater then it depends on how good the movie is that will decide if your investment holds it's market value..rinse and repeat.  

Right, and conversely, I think that a bomb of a Marvel movie on the character portrayed can kill the momentum of the comic cold. I mean, look at the early 2000s movies on the FF. They didn't exactly drive up FF prices above anything else. Today I think the movies have a lot to do with a comic's potential value. It wasn't that way 25 years ago. If Feige screws with the original Galactus/SS storyline like he's done with so many other Marvel characters, and he gets a critical reception from it, the price of 48-50 will definitely fall and the bubble will bust. The opposite is true, of course.

15 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Right, and conversely, I think that a bomb of a Marvel movie on the character portrayed can kill the momentum of the comic cold. I mean, look at the early 2000s movies on the FF. They didn't exactly drive up FF prices above anything else. Today I think the movies have a lot to do with a comic's potential value. It wasn't that way 25 years ago. If Feige screws with the original Galactus/SS storyline like he's done with so many other Marvel characters, and he gets a critical reception from it, the price of 48-50 will definitely fall and the bubble will bust. The opposite is true, of course.

That is fine if you get in at a decent point - movie fueled comic prices tend to peak 3 - 6 months prior to the film's release so you can exit with a tidy profit before the final verdict is in. lol 

On 5/5/2019 at 2:36 AM, kimik said:

I don't understand why everyone is puzzled by the rise in BA keys. We have seen this cycle how many times now - SA keys jump to new price levels, starting with the top books and then the rest, and then BA keys play catch up a year or two later. IH 181 was the first BA key to spike in the BA cycle, and now the rest are following suit - check out prices on TOD 10, WWBN 32, MS 5, etc. The one book that is not running up with the others right now is ASM #129 - this may be due to the fact it spiked with the Punisher Netflix show, or a sign that it might be time to pick up a copy before it is too late. 

Regardless, once IH 181 ran up during the main convention season last year, it was only a matter of time for other BA keys to follow just like in past cycles.

Disney acquiring Fox definitely helps WWBN 32, MS 5 & TOD 10 to an extent and I do think the cancelling of the Netflix series is going to suppress ASM 129 value at least for a while, but the other thing is Punisher's first appearance was in ASM which was one of the most read/collected series at the time vs ToD, WWBN, and MS 5.  ASM 129 has about 3x the graded count in census and though he might be more popular than Moon Knight and Blade, not sure he is 3x more popular than Ghost Rider.  TBH WWBN 32 and probably ToD price run doesn't make too much sense to me as thats more speculation, but MS5 with a popular B level character that just had crappy representation in movies is an interesting option.

I got both this and Hulk 181 recently in grades I could accept, but wish I had acted sooner to have possibly paid substantially less. I just wasn't as fluid with cash. Just to not torture myself, how much could I have gotten each for a year ago, or two years ago? In 7-7.5 grade as a median, I guess. I'm happy with the copies I got though and they present well, so it wasn't a total loss.

7 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I got both this and Hulk 181 recently in grades I could accept, but wish I had acted sooner to have possibly paid substantially less. I just wasn't as fluid with cash. Just to not torture myself, how much could I have gotten each for a year ago, or two years ago? In 7-7.5 grade as a median, I guess. I'm happy with the copies I got though and they present well, so it wasn't a total loss.

181 $1900 for a 7.5 less than 2years ago

GSXM #1 $800 for a 7.0 a year ago....

On 5/9/2019 at 8:53 AM, gotpong said:

Disney acquiring Fox definitely helps WWBN 32, MS 5 & TOD 10 to an extent and I do think the cancelling of the Netflix series is going to suppress ASM 129 value at least for a while, but the other thing is Punisher's first appearance was in ASM which was one of the most read/collected series at the time vs ToD, WWBN, and MS 5.  ASM 129 has about 3x the graded count in census and though he might be more popular than Moon Knight and Blade, not sure he is 3x more popular than Ghost Rider.  TBH WWBN 32 and probably ToD price run doesn't make too much sense to me as thats more speculation, but MS5 with a popular B level character that just had crappy representation in movies is an interesting option.

The general pattern is that BA keys run up a year or two after SA keys jump as collectors, which is the phase we are in now. It starts with the biggest books (e.g. AF 15/Hulk 1/SC 4 for SA, and IH 181 for BA) and then trickles down to the rest. 

31 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Personally, i don't see a whole lot of future growth for 181 or gsxm1. There will be a slow, gradual incline, but nothing like we've just seen. The boom has already happened.

Until the next leg up. If you look at comic values since 2000, there were run ups in 2003, 2008/09 (keys held up better than real estate during the financial crisis :o), 2013, and then again in 2018. While the books will plateau or slowly grow for a few years after their big jumps, that is the time to load up for the next run.

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

Until the next leg up. If you look at comic values since 2000, there were run ups in 2003, 2008/09 (keys held up better than real estate during the financial crisis :o), 2013, and then again in 2018. While the books will plateau or slowly grow for a few years after their big jumps, that is the time to load up for the next run.

It's possible, but i just don't see it playing out that way. All books get to a financial comfort spot where people aren't willing to pay much higher. Take a look at AF15. Some grades have actually taken substantial hits in value. I thought AF15 was the poster child for perpetual comic book growth. If AF15 isn't immune, then nothing is.

I was at Spring Con in St.Paul, MN this weekend and I saw only one copy for sale, CGC 7.0 for 2k. It sold but I don’t know if it sold at the asking price or not.

There were about four copies of X-men 94 at the show too, none were graded though. I picked up one of the 94s, probably a 6.5 or a 7.0.

I wanted a raw copy for my collection.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

A GSX CGC 9.4 White pages sold yesterday for $6000 according to GPA. That should move the needle on up further, especially with CGC 9.2 copies now hitting $4000.

Yes I also noticed that 9.2's seemed to be catching up with 9.4's sales prices.  

That 9.4 sale is only about $800 below the high for 9.6's now.

So maybe that pushes up 9.6's a little now? (shrug)

-J.

29 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yes I also noticed that 9.2's seemed to be catching up with 9.4's sales prices.  

That 9.4 sale is only about $800 below the high for 9.6's now.

So maybe that pushes up 9.6's a little now? (shrug)

-J.

Grabbed a 9.4 just at the start of the massive upswing back in October 2018.  So glad I pulled the trigger, even though it was not cheap.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:35 PM, drotto said:

Grabbed a 9.4 just at the start of the massive upswing back in October 2018.  So glad I pulled the trigger, even though it was not cheap.

Nice timing. I picked up a couple of new 9.4s last year as well - the latter W page copy set a new GPA high price for a couple of weeks that made me worry I was making a mistake in paying that much for the pages. lol 

37 minutes ago, kimik said:

Nice timing. I picked up a couple of new 9.4s last year as well - the latter W page copy set a new GPA high price for a couple of weeks that made me worry I was making a mistake in paying that much for the pages. lol 

Good thing that doesn't matter.  :banana:

-J.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, Darkowl said:

It's possible, but i just don't see it playing out that way. All books get to a financial comfort spot where people aren't willing to pay much higher. Take a look at AF15. Some grades have actually taken substantial hits in value. I thought AF15 was the poster child for perpetual comic book growth. If AF15 isn't immune, then nothing is.

Speaking of continual growth, I still haven't seen a slowdown on Hulk #181. It just keeps rising into the stratosphere. I just hope the same thing starts with GS X-Men 1.

12 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Speaking of continual growth, I still haven't seen a slowdown on Hulk #181. It just keeps rising into the stratosphere. I just hope the same thing starts with GS X-Men 1.

Depends on the grade. If you look at the census, you'll see that a few have actually decreased in value. My guess is that the other grades will follow.

I'm quite sure we're going to see a dip in GSXM1 in the next few months, then 5 years from now a movie will be about to be released, and the madness starts all over again.

GSXM1 was undervalued, but it wasn't this undervalued. People are going to soon realize that, which is precisely why I'm dumping my copy. 

Edited by Darkowl

On 5/30/2019 at 4:04 PM, Darkowl said:

Depends on the grade. If you look at the census, you'll see that a few have actually decreased in value. My guess is that the other grades will follow.

I'm quite sure we're going to see a dip in GSXM1 in the next few months, then 5 years from now a movie will be about to be released, and the madness starts all over again.

GSXM1 was undervalued, but it wasn't this undervalued. People are going to soon realize that, which is precisely why I'm dumping my copy. 

Well, from what I can see on eBay, it would take almost double the price to replace my CGC 4.5 since I bought it at the start of the year. Maybe other grades are doing something different, but I'm quite happy with the progress at my grade.

Reluctantly graded a copy last year and it came back a 4.0. Was going to sell it then but sentimentality made me hold on to it. Right now I am glad I did. My 6.0 that I graded in 2003 may need to be removed from that dingy old case, pressed and regraded. A bump would be nice!hm