• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 - get it now?
3 3

284 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you send brittany the email with the pics you provided tonight, maybe she could give a definite yay or nay by late tomorrow. If the seller can wait or idk.

I really think that it's saveable but be 100% sure if possible

Thanks! I just dropped her an e-mail. *Fingers crossed*

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You could always email Brittany McManus about it 

bmcmanus@cgccomics.com

She could put your mind more at ease for reholder I think.... and I think cgc would do it without regrading 

Not sure what @drotto will say 

I think it looks like a corner impact damage, and my best bet is it is from shipping.  In that case I agree the CGC will re-holder this no issue.  More than likely the book is OK as it is still sealed in inner well which looks undamaged. The plastic pieces look to be outside the inner well. Could they have been trying to hide the damage in the eBay photos, it is hard to say. If I remember, the label in the last case series was enclosed in the inner well as well, so it was impossible to just slip it out. But someone trying to switch labels or switch books would likely have been more careful with the case, unless they botched it and were cutting their loses. They book and grade should be easily verified on the CGC site if you look up the serial number also.

How was the book packaged?  When I ship CGC books I put the case in the plastic cover.  Then, I tape cardboard around the book extending beyond the plastic edges to protect against impact.  Then, I bubble wrap. The I place in a very specific priority mail box (1095 I think it is, it is free but a special order box from USPS website). Then I fill the box with packing peanuts.  I know it sounds like a lot, but it works well so far. Corner impact it really the biggest enemy to these cases, but most of the time even when the case is damaged (even heavily) the books fair surprisingly well.

Yes, Brittany is the person to contact. And yes CGC, as long as they see no reason to expect fraud, they will reslab the book.  They should also check the book for damage in a case like this, if they suspect the grade is effected they may ask you how you want to proceed. If the grade has been effected (which I do not think it has by those pictures), they may say something like a press could fix the damage (for something like plastic impressions on the book), or tell you what the new grade is.  If the book has been clearly damaged and the grade has changed, CGC in order to maintain their reputation and protect future potential buyers, can not simply reslab at the original grade. In that unlikely case, you are entitle to a refund, based on the new grade. Regardless, you should be able to get reimbursed by either the shipping company, eBay, or the seller for any coast that you may incur from this. 

Edited by drotto

20 hours ago, drotto said:

I think it looks like a corner impact damage, and my best bet is it is from shipping.  In that case I agree the CGC will re-holder this no issue.  More than likely the book is OK as it is still sealed in inner well which looks undamaged. The plastic pieces look to be outside the inner well. Could they have been trying to hide the damage in the eBay photos, it is hard to say. If I remember, the label in the last case series was enclosed in the inner well as well, so it was impossible to just slip it out. But someone trying to switch labels or switch books would likely have been more careful with the case, unless they botched it and were cutting their loses. They book and grade should be easily verified on the CGC site if you look up the serial number also.

How was the book packaged?  When I ship CGC books I put the case in the plastic cover.  Then, I tape cardboard around the book extending beyond the plastic edges to protect against impact.  Then, I bubble wrap. The I place in a very specific priority mail box (1095 I think it is, it is free but a special order box from USPS website). Then I fill the box with packing peanuts.  I know it sounds like a lot, but it works well so far. Corner impact it really the biggest enemy to these cases, but most of the time even when the case is damaged (even heavily) the books fair surprisingly well.

Yes, Brittany is the person to contact. And yes CGC, as long as they see no reason to expect fraud, they will reslab the book.  They should also check the book for damage in a case like this, if they suspect the grade is effected they may ask you how you want to proceed. If the grade has been effected (which I do not think it has by those pictures), they may say something like a press could fix the damage (for something like plastic impressions on the book), or tell you what the new grade is.  If the book has been clearly damaged and the grade has changed, CGC in order to maintain their reputation and protect future potential buyers, can not simply reslab at the original grade. In that unlikely case, you are entitle to a refund, based on the new grade. Regardless, you should be able to get reimbursed by either the shipping company, eBay, or the seller for any coast that you may incur from this. 

Hi Drotto, Thanks a bunch for your input on this as it's been a big help.

As for the book, the box they shipped it in, was one of those flimsy Amazon boxes with absolutely zero protection to the corners of the book, whatsoever!  And the book's dimensions where probably a quarter inch smaller than the interior of the box, so it was jammed in there pretty good. Some people just lack common sense, I think. I went back and analyzed the original listing photo and there was definitely no damage to the upper corner, the way there is now. So it was for sure damaged by shipping. He didn't even have the sense to write "fragile" anywhere on the package either. 

Also, I was able to contact Brittany McManus and she really put me at ease with the situation and assured she would handle it herself. So she's being a real rockstar for me here! 

But a big thanks to this thread or I wouldn't have known what to do. This is my first time sending into CGC, so it's all a learning experience.

Thanks again, guys!

On 3/25/2019 at 7:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Personal story I don't know how it will be recieved.. ... I think that I've only paid over $500 twice in my life for a comic slabbed or raw.....

Once on a 7.5 IH #181

And the 2nd I was torn between a similar grade ASM #129, a 9.2 IH #180 in 9.0/9.2, or GSXM #1.....at the time these were all similarly priced...

I ended up with only a 7.0 GSXM #1 but later added a 8.5 IH #180....

Hope that I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch....

:eek::wishluck:

My 4.5 GSXM #1 cost me $750 three months ago from an auction bid on eBay, and it was significantly lower than the comparible "buy it now" prices. About a year ago I bought a 5.5 and it only cost me $550. this issue is going up like a rocket, and with no specific mention of a Disney movie in the works. Makes me wonder what's gonna happen when Disney does publicly state that they're working on an X-Men movie.

Edited by Getoutandstayout

44 minutes ago, Getoutandstayout said:

My 4.5 GSXM #1 cost me $750 three months ago from an auction bid on eBay, and it was significantly lower than the comparible "buy it now" prices. About a year ago I bought a 5.5 and it only cost me $550. this issue is going up like a rocket, and with no specific mention of a Disney movie in the works. Makes me wonder what's gonna happen when Disney does publicly state that they're working on an X-Men movie.

It's all speculation right now driving the jump.  Obviously there will be a Disney X-Men movie at some point in the future, but we are 3 years away from that at the earliest.  I think this recent jump is just people taking advantage of the announcement combined with peoples FOMO.  It will settle and then spike up again when Disney announces something tangible.  Still a great book to own even if a movie never comes about!  ;)

I think it was just undervalued and with 181 going up so much this had to rise also. It's a huge xmen key and there's no way it should only be the price it was a year ago now in 2019. I think the Disney acquisition ignited this book but its continuing to burn hot because it's such a big key xmen book regardless of movies. I don't see it coming down.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, jason4 said:

I think it was just undervalued and with 181 going up so much this had to rise also. It's a huge xmen key and there's no way it should only be the price it was a year ago now in 2019. I think the Disney acquisition ignited this book but its continuing to burn hot because it's such a big key xmen book regardless of movies. I don't see it coming down.

It is likely the second most important X-Men book ...... although I guess that depends if you think Hulk 181 is an X-Men book and even then not sure this book is not more important to the X-Men :) 

that being said I think it will rise some more over a short period and then level off for a bit. 

1 hour ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Oh well. I don't know if this is going to hurt the odds of this book continuing to rise in price as a collectible.

https://cosmicbook.news/x-men-mcu-years-away-feige

If anything this helps. By the time the X-men come over to the MCU it will renew the crazy frenzied interest in this book, which will be even more scarce (right now we have Colossus in Deadpool for attention from the movies)

2 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

If anything this helps. By the time the X-men come over to the MCU it will renew the crazy frenzied interest in this book, which will be even more scarce (right now we have Colossus in Deadpool for attention from the movies)

I don't think it either hurts or helps. Not sure what you mean by the book being more scarce? If something is announced by MCU it'll actually ignite a submission frenzy causing the census to blow up. Would be the opposite of more scarce.

3 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

Oh well. I don't know if this is going to hurt the odds of this book continuing to rise in price as a collectible.

This Feige quote from the article translates into something like...

(We're going to put out a bunch of irrelevant filler stuff no one will watch in the next 5 years before actually getting into relevancy with X-Men 😴). Guess you can do this when you're Disney and have more money than God!

‘How can we introduce new characters that even hardcore fans, comic fans, have barely known or barely heard of.’ That’s really exciting too.” 

50 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I don't think it either hurts or helps. Not sure what you mean by the book being more scarce? If something is announced by MCU it'll actually ignite a submission frenzy causing the census to blow up. Would be the opposite of more scarce.

I don't understand how copies being transferred to different containers affects supply.

6 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

This is actually great news! Keep that speculation driving up the value for as long as possible. :banana:

Edited by Darkowl

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't understand how copies being transferred to different containers affects supply.

I meant that people would be more likely to submit raw GSXM copies for grading. Don't know what you mean by "transferred to different containers"?

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I meant that people would be more likely to submit raw GSXM copies for grading. Don't know what you mean by "transferred to different containers"?

Being submitted for grading doesn't actually do anything for supply (in fact, a larger census could be seen as a negative as it might imply the book is less rare than the public thinks) but increased interest might cause people to hold onto their copies while even MORE people come into the market looking for a copy (which they in turn also hold onto). Eitherway, supply will decrease (though yes, this is hardly a book that deserves the 'scarce' label and I should save that for talking about actual rare books)

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

(in fact, a larger census could be seen as a negative as it might imply the book is less rare than the public thinks) 

Safe guess there's plenty of ungraded GSXM copies out there sitting in people's collections. I don't think anyone is fooling themselves thinking this is rare by any stretch of the imagination. More interesting question is how many of those would be graded as white pages since it's a giant size book with twice as many pages? I would assume books with more pages would be less likely to be categorized as white but who knows? Maybe not

XMen is a long time away.

Listen closely to Feige its minimum 4 years away.

The Fox deal just closed plus Endgame residual hype plus IH 181 heat = GSXM 1 catching that bronze age fire.

Alot of the same spec money on IH181 is now flowing to GSXM 1.

It will settle soon then we will wait 2-3 years for some announcements and cameos then the book will pop again.

But I anticipate a cooling period soon after Endgame comes out