• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby verified signature?

73 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Calidream'n said:

My guess would be with a handwriting expert?

Well, it's good to know that you're more intelligent than your OP would seem to indicate.

It's just really unfortunate that other companies don't have websites with pages that outline each of their services. :frown:

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

In the context of this thread, the other company has witnessed "authentic" sigs in addition to after-the-fact "verified" sigs.

Well, certainly not to nit-pick, but the Yellow label implies that a witness watched the person sign the book, and therefore the label demonstrates that the signature is true or accurate, the exact definition of verify. 

Just now, Calidream'n said:

I had better. These typing matches are tiresome endeavors and never seem to end.

(thumbsu

45 minutes ago, kav said:

Paging @glendgold

I'm not a comics guy so I don't know how this verification thing works, but a) Jack stopped signing books long before he died and b) Roz did the signing for him often before that and c) more than one person has told me the easiest thing to forge by Kirby is his signature.  Since I'm not familiar with this grading company or how this system works, is it a non-starter to say you should be in touch with them to see if someone witnessed him signing it?  I wouldn't touch this thing with a barge pole, but I just I'm just not adventurous that way. 

Also it's slabbed, right?  And the signatures are on page 1?  Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a Kirby signature?  

G

1 minute ago, glendgold said:

I'm not a comics guy so I don't know how this verification thing works, but a) Jack stopped signing books long before he died and b) Roz did the signing for him often before that and c) more than one person has told me the easiest thing to forge by Kirby is his signature.  Since I'm not familiar with this grading company or how this system works, is it a non-starter to say you should be in touch with them to see if someone witnessed him signing it?  I wouldn't touch this thing with a barge pole, but I just I'm just not adventurous that way. 

Also it's slabbed, right?  And the signatures are on page 1?  Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a Kirby signature?  

G

I agree with everything you've said. Kirby had such a distinct and easy signature it would seem that with enough practice, one could suddenly "discover" a few silver age books he signed and have them "verified" by CBCS. I don't think I'm going to take that chance. (thumbsu

7 hours ago, Calidream'n said:

I agree with everything you've said. Kirby had such a distinct and easy signature it would seem that with enough practice, one could suddenly "discover" a few silver age books he signed and have them "verified" by CBCS. I don't think I'm going to take that chance. (thumbsu

Since this is a rather delicate matter, all I can say is it may not be a bad idea to do some research on this subject... :gossip:

1 hour ago, csaag said:

I bought Demon #1 from my LCS back in the late 70's.  It was in the back issues bin and probably cost me a couple of dollars.

When I got home to read it, I noticed the signature on the bottom of page 1 . I always wondered if it was authentic

CCF02242019_00000.jpg

Since you could get orig Kirby pages for like $30 back then I dont see the point of anyone forging his then worthless sig also it looks real.

7 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

Here's another example of a possible Kirby sig from Ebay:

880503394_s-l400(10).jpg.c7d863c376a326f8fe5934f893fab825.jpg

Maybe an expert could tell if all these signatures are legit, I sure can't.

That one looks fake-the letters are too even across bottom.  The forger's own natural writing came thru.

well here are a few sites I found mostly Baseball but who says they can't do comic books the last article is what I believe the op was after.

https://www.spenceloa.com/

https://powerssportsmemorabilia.com/blogs/news/getting-your-autographed-authenticated-who-should-you-use

https://www.thecomicdoctor.com/comic-book-certification-service-cbcs-to-the-rescue/

5 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

FF 13

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e7.jpg.978b7e88101396efd4bf296ad62ec328.jpg

The last time I asked about this signature all I could find out was Kirby signed a lot of stuff and it wasn't really worth much.  I did get the NOTE put on the label though...

843595483_wgG8E71lSNSqxSl8nMHmw_thumb_72c.jpg.e7b921e48404a2ff5c5cbca2773781e1.jpg

I'm here. Busy the last few days. This one is good, IMO. I'll look at the others.

14 hours ago, Calidream'n said:

Then he should have said "CGC doesn't verify everything". The signature series Yellow label shows they DO indeed verify signatures.

Technically, CGC is not in the signature authentication business. What they do with their CGC signature series is to verify that a company representative witnessed the signature. There's a huge difference between the two. A witnessed signature leaves nothing to chance. This is what the CGC signature series is, a step beyond authentication. PSA, JSA, comic grading companies other than CGC do not offer this level of confidence and security. Theirs is purely an authentication service based on opinion. Their certification is typically not based on witnessed signatures, rather, the opinion of authenticity of their authenticators. They can be right, they can be wrong. With a witnessed signature, like CGC's yellow label service, there's no chance of a blown authentication call. A witnessed signature is the only sure thing.