• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do creators charge too much for signatures?
2 2

450 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, kav said:

On the one hand we have the side that says creators should be able to charge whatever they want. MORE FOR A SIGNATURE THAT WILL BE IN A CGC SLAB  On the other we have the side that says no they shouldnt because-

Thats the whole thing in a nutshell.

In reality creators ARE free to charge whatever they want and no amount of complaining has any effect whatsoever.

The end.

This is the argument. It's been corrected to you before but you don't seem to grasp that part. No one is saying creators shouldn't charge for a signature. They can, what some of us believe is that signatures for CGC should not cost more.

2 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:
20 minutes ago, kav said:

On the one hand we have the side that says creators should be able to charge whatever they want. MORE FOR A SIGNATURE THAT WILL BE IN A CGC SLAB  On the other we have the side that says no they shouldnt because-

Thats the whole thing in a nutshell.

In reality creators ARE free to charge whatever they want and no amount of complaining has any effect whatsoever.

The end.

This is the argument. It's been corrected to you before but you don't seem to grasp that part. No one is saying creators shouldn't charge for a signature. They can, what some of us believe is that signatures for CGC should not cost more.

Doesnt 'whatever they want' include 'more for a slab', tho?

Also if I were CGC and this was taking place, I'd follow up with creators as this impacts their business.

two years ago in SDCC I have about 20-25 Campbell books for sigs. When I found out what his premium was now for CGC I opted out of getting 20 of those books graded and only had 5.

I'm sure as the cost of getting a book SS by CGC goes up because of these premiums the less likely a fan or flipper will submit books their books to CGC, hitting their bottom line

The upside is those already graded will be less, increasing their value and eventually leading the creator to charge even more

:flipbait:

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

it does but I think context is important. The devil is in the details.

Ok well thx for the fine tuning.  What you posted is what I meant.  

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Also if I were CGC and this was taking place, I'd follow up with creators as this impacts their business.

two years ago in SDCC I have about 20-25 Campbell books for sigs. When I found out what his premium was now for CGC I opted out of getting 20 of those books graded and only had 5.

I'm sure as the cost of getting a book SS by CGC goes up because of these premiums the less likely a fan or flipper will submit books their books to CGC, hitting their bottom line

The upside is those already graded will be less, increasing their value and eventually leading the creator to charge even more

:flipbait:

That shortbox I mentioned earlier is 97% junk, even if high grade. If those books get signed, CGC grades them. If they don't get signed, CGC will never see them.

The appeal to 'you're losing business if you dont do things cheaper' has never been particularly effective.  

8 minutes ago, kav said:

The appeal to 'you're losing business if you dont do things cheaper' has never been particularly effective.  

If CGC wants to get involved and price cap SS signatures they can go give it a shot given that they can presumably control the process. But I suspect they don't want to get involved with this.

4 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Not mine but I thought it was a humorous response to you 😇

0468FCC2-EEEB-487F-A2F4-0D6C6593A6FD.jpeg

Dear Steve: 
Nowhere is it written if you do something for one person you have to do it for everyone.  Women do not go on dates with anyone just because they went on date with one guy.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

If CGC wants to get involved and price cap SS signatures they can go give it a shot given that they can presumably control the process. But I suspect they don't want to get involved with this.

That's not the answer.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not the answer.

The answer is for folks to not pay the premium for the SS books and then these folks may adjust the prices when they realize they are not selling as many sigs unless you plan on getting your state's Attorney General involved because you think this is discriminatory.

36 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

IF the creator wants a piece of the aftermarket reseller pie, why shouldn't they surcharge the most likely customer participating in that aftermarket while continuing to sign raws or books for kids for less? 

If creators are charging more than their CGC collecting fanbase is willing to pay then that is because the aftermarket books aren't performing to whatever number lines up to the acquisition costs.  "I won't get any of them signed & CGC won't get business because of it" isn't relevant to the raw vs. CGC signature cost variance. 

Edited by bababooey

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Dear Steve: 
Nowhere is it written if you do something for one person you have to do it for everyone.  Women do not go on dates with anyone just because they went on date with one guy.

Dear kav: 

Be honest, that one guy was never you, was it.