• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do creators charge too much for signatures?
2 2

450 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, kav said:

Just awesome man!

Ps i'll sign your Mad!  They published my 3 pager in Mad 336!

and reprinted  
https://madtrash.com/contributor/001065/

I never knew you had published works 👏👏🆒 way To go kaV 👏👏👏

1 minute ago, the blob said:

The answer is for folks to not pay the premium for the SS books and then these folks may adjust the prices when they realize they are not selling as many sigs unless you plan on getting your state's Attorney General involved because you think this is discriminatory.

Force is not the answer. It's never the answer. You have an inaccurate impression of SS books and how they function in the market, Have you ever been involved in the SS market?

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

IF the creator wants a piece of the aftermarket reseller pie, why shouldn't they surcharge the most likely customer participating in that aftermarket while continuing to sign raws or books for kids for less? 

If creators are charging more than their CGC collecting fanbase is willing to pay then that is because the aftermarket books aren't performing to whatever number lines up to the acquisition costs.  "I won't get any of them signed & CGC won't get business because of it" isn't relevant to the raw vs. CGC signature cost variance. 

Because that's not how the SS aftermarket works.

I think many (most...?) of the people arguing in favor of a CGC punishment tax don't understand the SS market and how it works.

"Wanting a piece of the aftermarket pie" is where your argument starts, but also where it stops. The creator has no right to the "aftermarket pie" on other people's property.

"I won't get any of them signed & CGC won't get business because of it" is not relevant to the raw vs. CGC signature "cost variance", but no one is suggesting it is. These things aren't occurring in vacuums; it's the part of the process with which CGC should be concerned. But no one is arguing that creators should be told this, or even aware of it. 

Again: what someone does with their property is no one's business but the owner of that property. That is the only argument that should matter to creators. However, if additional reasoning  is required, the argument that should be aimed at creators is this: "you have an inaccurate impression...fed to you by the self-interested who are lying to you...of the SS market. Your signature is not the driver of value. It is the item and its condition. If you sign a piece of toilet paper, I can't sell that."

3 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

I'm going to haggle with an artist at the next con....thanks for the idea!

Tell them they can make a lot of money on you otherwise 0.

32 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

I'm going to haggle with an artist at the next con....thanks for the idea!

lol

It's just more from the master of the moving goalposts. Someone negates your argument? Pretend it's a different argument. Problem solved!

lol

PS. I haggle with creators all the time. "If I get 4 of these prints, can I pay (something less than the 4 would cost individually)...?" for example.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 minute ago, Blastaar said:

Somebody should create an "influence in the medium" chart and walk around with it at a con. Their influence dictates their value. I'm sorry Mr. Stegman as you can see you have dipped just into the $15 range. 

"NO NO NO I'M MUCH MORE INFLUENTIAL THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!" then they drag him off-

2 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Somebody should create an "influence in the medium" chart and walk around with it at a con. Their influence dictates their value. I'm sorry Mr. Stegman as you can see you have dipped just into the $15 range. 

That's been considered...

:whistle:

Abandoned as totally untenable...but DEFINITELY considered...

:D

4 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

They could also do a BigShot card-'ahem-as you can see here you are only allowed to charge me $10 per sig'

In summation, yes many creators charge too much, but it's in response to flippers, and they are free to do that, and it's not hurting their business or they would stop.

The end.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

In summation, yes many creators charge too much, but it's in response to flippers, and they are free to do that, and it's not hurting their business or they would stop.

The end.

AHHH HHHAA!! But you know what they "COULD" do? or what they "SHOULD" do? 

aQpOEzM.gif :makepoint:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

AHHH HHHAA!! But you know what you "COULD" do? or what they "SHOULD" do? 

aQpOEzM.gif :makepoint:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda... lol 

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

But you know what they "COULD" do? or what they "SHOULD" do? 

I love this thread! @kav

My threads are generally pretty popular.  I start em to get people to like me.

1 minute ago, kav said:
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But you know what they "COULD" do? or what they "SHOULD" do? 

I love this thread! @kav

My threads are generally pretty popular.  I start em to get people to like me.

tenor.gif?itemid=5843462