• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do creators charge too much for signatures?
2 2

450 posts in this topic

My further point is...

People who don't buy signature series see a book sell higher in grade and automatically think the seller made :flipbait:which is mostly not the case... per your example because you are not aware of what each signature cost...

Nevermind the frazzeta or recently the Stan Lee. 

It's a misconception which artists are affecting....

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My quibble is not about the artist charge...

They think the flippers are "making money" by your example the "seller" just lost $100 in the transaction

BUT there are plenty of transactions where they made money-especially on otherwise worthless books.

Just now, kav said:

BUT there are plenty of transactions where they made money-especially on otherwise worthless books.

Well let's put it this way...

Some are ok with being a fan and getting a Sig and meeting the artist, as you did with Chuck...

What's wrong with wanting that authenticated.... it means much more now a days to have it made "official"

You laugh but that is the mind set, not right or wrong, people want proof of the Sig when they tell the story of I met so and so... :foryou:

It's bragging rights with a cgc guarantee, your telling me that you would buy a book that someone met somewhere with no provinance...

Talk about all these unwitnessed sigs, and authenticators.... provenance matters...

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My point is if the 9.8 sells only $100 more in 9.8 the seller is losing money because it costs $200 to get liefeldand the other guys Sig authenticated...

I though Sig series was $30 on a modern. Does that not include the $20 you spend on grading anyway? And if 2 guys sign at once do they charge $60??? Are you saying getting liefield and nicienza to sign costs another $170-140? I though liefield was at $30 for SS books? (Where did I read that?) Not sure how nicienza can justify charging more for SS if signing solo. Does he have an extra charge for NM 98?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Getting signatures from your "favorite" artist on worthless books...  seems like they don't want the signature at all really, just the dough...  granted little kids are excused from this observation.

45 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The short answer is because the individual copy is far removed from the creator. The creator had nothing to do with producing the copies of his or her work. They just created the original. What you hold in your hand is a copy of a copy of a copy of the original work. So, having a creator sign a specific copy...to touch that copy...makes that copy more special to some, because it is a direct connection to that specific copy of their work.

Regardless it still makes no sense too me. As a collector, why would you want to deface a collectible?

Since its a copy of a copy of a copy... why write on it?

What difference does it make as long as you have a verified signature? You still need to bring the book anyways.

Not to mention if you ever crack the book out and your not getting another sig your out of luck as nobody will accept its as a verified signature anymore.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Some are ok with being a fan and getting a Sig and meeting the artist, as you did with Chuck...

:cloud9:

Autographs on collectibles are pretty common. Folks were getting books signed long before comics And many a signed first edition from the right author go for a ton. I don't chase signatures but I totally understand their appeal, particularly if authenticated. Todd McFarlane signing his own book hardly seems like defacement.

Edited by the blob

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

I though Sig series was $30 on a modern. Does that not include the $20 you spend on grading anyway? And if 2 guys sign at once do they charge $60??? Are you saying getting liefield and nicienza to sign costs another $170-140? I though liefield was at $30 for SS books? (Where did I read that?) Not sure how nicienza can justify charging more for SS if signing solo. Does he have an extra charge for NM 98?

Lefield is like 40 for a regular  book, he charge a like $80 for the hits: NM 87 & 98..... the other guy charges 40 constantly, plus you have to pay the witness and grading fee of about $55

So we're talking $175 for a NM 98

Just now, the blob said:

Autographs on collectibles are pretty common. Folks were getting booms signed long before comics And many a signed first edition from the right author go for a ton. I don't chase signatures but I totally understand their appeal, particularly if authenticated. Todd McFarlane signing his own book hardly seems like defacement.

Kirby himself could come back from the grave, signed Captain America #1 and he would be defacing it.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lefield is like 40 for a regular  book, he charge a like $80 for the hits: NM 87 & 98..... the other guy charges 40 constantly, plus you have to pay the witness and grading fee of about $55

lordy

Just now, grayzr said:

Kirby himself could come back from the grave, signed Captain America #1 and he would be defacing it.

THIS for god sake

It's kind of like selling a slabbed book, you want cgc to grade the book in order to ensure the reputation of the grade...

Same with signature series....

There is a whole box at my half priced books of like 40 books with raw sigs...

Sat there forever...

If they were yellow label, whoever sold them might have at least got their total fees back, if these certain sigs meant anything to anybody lol

@kav @the blob

1 minute ago, kav said:

lordy

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree those charges are irrational. But they probably keep the supply of double signed nm 98s down. 

1 minute ago, grayzr said:

Lefield has a god complex...

Not the god of feet tho.  Or teeth.  Or chests.  Or legs.  Or-

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's kind of like selling a slabbed book, you want cgc to grade the book in order to ensure the reputation of the grade...

Same with signature series....

There is a whole box at my half priced books of like 40 books with raw sigs...

Sat there forever...

If they were yellow label, whoever sold them might have at least got their total fees back, if these certain sigs meant anything to anybody lol

@kav @the blob

and if CGC would create a sig series with label sigs I might finally buy a CGc sig book.

12 minutes ago, the blob said:

If that is the case the market will let the talent know that their SS premium is stupid, no? But it's true I do see more wacky SS asking prices than sales. And that is perhaps what some artists are reacting to.

Lives are finite. We have already lost many big name creators in the last 10 years. In a perfect world, where everyone lived forever, yes, the market would eventually get around and correct them...but Herb Trimpe and Stan Lee and Gene Colon and Joe Simon and Joe Kubert and Mike Turner and Norm Breyfogle and many, many others are done signing books in this lifetime.

I don't think you've been paying attention to what I've been saying: creators are reacting to people in the industry...art reps and facilitators...who are lying to them, and telling them that people doing CGC are making "fat stacks of cash" off of them, and they need a cut of that...in fact, "here, let ME manage you, and I'll make sure you get your cut!!" (while, of course, ensuring they get THEIR cut, too, and all the free sigs they want, for themselves, naturally. It's quite the racket.) Or, they're being told "well, CGC is making money off of them, so you should, too!" (Nevermind that CGC performs a service requiring far more effort and resources than a signature.)

THAT is what the creators are reacting to at this moment in time.

When you have people lying to you like that, and nobody voicing the other side of the equation, what do you think is going to happen? Let me tell you, the "I'm sorry, I was told I had to charge more for CGC" statement has come out of the sheephish mouths of more than one creator that I have stood in front of. I paid it...I have always paid what creators demand...it's a requirement by CGC, and if you do not, you will be barred from the program...but not without making some (very polite, very professional) effort to explain the issue. Frequently, I've paid more, and most of the time, been thrilled to do it (see: Mark Texeira.) And, yes, I have put books back in the box that I had prepared for them to sign, and they got $0 for those books.

Once these creators are gone, their body of SS copies is DONE. OVER. FINISHED. Ain't no more coming. I own the only copies of Showcase #83 and #84 signed by Bernie for SS. The only ones. There will never be another copy of those books in SS. You want one? Too bad. For all intents and purposes, they don't exist.