• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do creators charge too much for signatures?
2 2

450 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Eff that arsehole. I'm still salty I paid something like $35 (plus $20 for a copy of freaking X-Men #1 because I left all of mine at home) just to meet Claremont and shake his hand as thanks for his work I've adored all my life, and get a book signed by him in person (I'd paid stupid amounts of money to obtain various other sigs of his through Dynamic Forces and the like, over the years), and the arsehole literally didn't even acknowledge me, and just talked to Greg Capullo the whole time, then waived me on. When I tried to speak, I got waived again. Eff that guy. 

Dude owes me money. 

If this happened to me I wouldnt pay I'd just throw the book back at him.

1 minute ago, kav said:

If this happened to me I wouldnt pay I'd just throw the book back at him.

1 minute ago, kav said:

after ripping it so he couldnt sell it of course.

Didn't he recently respond to a twitter inquiry from you on the Xmen title change?  Jeez :tonofbricks:

Just now, bababooey said:

Didn't he recently respond to a twitter inquiry from you on the Xmen title change?  Jeez :tonofbricks:

Ok not him but if SOMEONE ELSE DID THAT!!!! :pullhair:

8 minutes ago, kav said:

after ripping it so he couldnt sell it of course.

Because he's never seen a kavcrazed fan right? :baiting:I met him and he offered to do a sketch even though he's a writer, because when I talked to him he messed up his signature doh! but I was going to have it graded so he was like sorry but it should still be alright here's a sketch...

It was literally the first comic I had ever had signed, I followed the facilitator and when I found the cost to grade a 14 book dark Phoenix run I went home without encapsulation on any of them...

I denied the sketch at first too cause that was an extra cost... then I couldn't afford any of it :ohnoez::tonofbricks::roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Too not to

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Because he's never seen a kavcrazed fan right? :baiting:I met him and he offered to do a sketch even though he's a writer, because when I talked to him he messed up his signature doh! but I was going to have it graded so he was like sorry but it should still be alright here's a sketch...

It was literally the first comic I had ever had signed, I followed the facilitator and when I found the cost to grade a 14 book dark Phoenix run I went home without encapsulation on any of them...

I denied the sketch at first to cause that was an extra cost... then I couldn't afford any of it :ohnoez::tonofbricks::roflmao:

Maybe you could of incapsulated all 14 in one slab to save $$$!!

6 minutes ago, kav said:

Maybe you could of incapsulated all 14 in one slab to save $$$!!

Haha! There is something I didn't think of, as the whole time I was asking the voldermort facilitator l the cost? The cost? Tell me man, what will it cost? They said a bunch of stuff that might as well been a foreign language at the time, first con, first artist first er'yting lol

Is it sad that Claremont was the nicest thing about the experience? Lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

26 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Eff that arsehole. I'm still salty I paid something like $35 (plus $20 for a copy of freaking X-Men #1 because I left all of mine at home) just to meet Claremont and shake his hand as thanks for his work I've adored all my life, and get a book signed by him in person (I'd paid stupid amounts of money to obtain various other sigs of his through Dynamic Forces and the like, over the years), and the arsehole literally didn't even acknowledge me, and just talked to Greg Capullo the whole time, then waived me on. When I tried to speak, I got waived again. Eff that guy. 

Dude owes me money. 

He was pleasant with me. I had him sign a power man 48 and he was all like "holy I haven't seen this book in years" and he read it out loud a d made fun of his corny dialogue. He was signing next to neil gaiman who had a line 300 groupees long. Claremont's line was 1 person long. The Sig was free. This was in the mid/late 90s at a mini-con at a public school in NYC. The PTA president had industry pull. I was a dealer there.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

(Nevermind that CGC performs a service requiring far more effort and resources than a signature.)

But it’s also a service that wouldn’t exist if not for the demand of the talents signature. People will happily pay some random stranger to verify a signature but get offended when the talent wants pay too, and that I don’t get. If they’re charging too much for a CGC sig then just get a raw sig, you’ll save all kinds of money. Or a green label sig, you still have your grade and encapsulation, and YOU know the sig is authentic, so what’s the difference between yellow and green? Besides a whole lot of money of course

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

They do. They already have a program in place where they put signed items in slabs that are witnessed, but aren't comic books. 

It's the "art" program. It's been in place for years. Here's an example:

s-l1000.jpg

Pretty cool, huh?

It probably wouldn't make much sense to have a signed label AND a comic, but you never know, it might be worth considering if enough people are interested. 

That is an awesome sketch though! I hope it is yours ^^

With a con coming up, this might be a viable answer for me, as I don't have any comics that I want signed. 

If you don't mind me asking, how does something like this affect cost to grade? Or TAT'S? Or does it have to be a certain size board or material?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is an awesome sketch though! I hope it is yours ^^

With a con coming up, this might be a viable answer for me, as I don't have any comics that I want signed. 

If you don't mind me asking, how does something like this affect cost to grade? Or TAT'S? Or does it have to be a certain size board or material?

How much does Starlin charge for a sketch like this?

Liefeld could never draw something like this-look at those beautiful feet.

Ps wouldnt Banner learn after the first few times to wear stretch pants?   Think about the wardrobe malfunctions, man.

Edited by kav

"Consider the source", especially on threads like these, becomes paramount.

You have people who have no experience with the SS program, don't go to cons, don't get things signed, don't participate in the SS program at all, who don't talk to the SS program people at CGC, who don't participate in organizing conventions, who don't talk to convention promoters, who openly confess they have zero interest in signed books in the first place, and think it's "defacing" the comics, and who do none of the things necessary to make an informed, educated contribution to this discussion.

Instead, they make bad, ignorant, simplistic arguments like "I can't negotiate with my dentist" (no, but you can go elsewhere, and you probably aren't charged a different price for the service based on what you intend to do with your teeth) and "I don't see what the problem is charging a different price for the same service."

They don't know how much business the creator is doing. They aren't even in a position to guess.

They don't know that certain creators sit at conventions all weekend long, with no business the entire time, because they've priced themselves out of the market.

They don't know that the creators or their reps complain to promoters that they "had a bad show."

They don't know that creators are being lied to, and peer pressured, into charging more than they otherwise would.

The have no idea that creators don't participate in the SS market, and so generally have no idea how it works, other than "people are making $$$ off you!"

They don't understand that creators are creators for a reason; they're not economists, they're mostly not businessmen and women, and they don't really deal with "the business end" of things, which opens them up, in fear and greed, to manipulation by others.

And, frankly...they don't care that creators suffer because they don't get business, and they don't care that their lives are finite, or that a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"...in other words, $10 for 150 books now is better than $20 for 0 books never. They don't care that creators are hurt by alienating fans, that fans are hurt by being treated like they're somehow taking advantage of the creator if they want their book slabbed, and CGC is hurt...whether it's obvious at the moment or not...by not getting submissions they otherwise would. 

Of course they "don't see a problem" with charging different prices...why would they? They don't participate in the first place. They have no stake...and thus don't care.

My advice..? You want to have an informed, educated opinion on the matter, go to these conventions and observe the situation. Be a witness (CGC is always looking for witness help.) Work the SS program, and see how it operates. Talk to creators. If you don't care about the Signature Series program or signed books in the first place, have never participated in it, and have no clue how it works, and zero interest in getting anything signed...explain to me again how your opinion has value...?

:popcorn:

4 minutes ago, kav said:

How much does Starlin charge for a sketch like this?

Liefeld could never draw something like this-look at those beautiful feet.

Ps wouldnt Banner learn after the first few times to wear stretch pants?   Think about the wardrobe malfunctions, man.

Lol his supplier is making bank!

I have a Steve Erwin rogue sketch that I wouldn't mind having zeck ink, I know they worked on deathstroke, hopefully "rogue" is not taboo.

That sketch is on board, I just might want yellow label next time, and rather finding a blank comic or worrying about 9.8 etc.... this alternative does seem viable  :foryou:

24 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

But it’s also a service that wouldn’t exist if not for the demand of the talents signature. People will happily pay some random stranger to verify a signature but get offended when the talent wants pay too, and that I don’t get. If they’re charging too much for a CGC sig then just get a raw sig, you’ll save all kinds of money. Or a green label sig, you still have your grade and encapsulation, and YOU know the sig is authentic, so what’s the difference between yellow and green? Besides a whole lot of money of course

Because the world doesn't operate on "how I collect rules, and how you collect sucks." Nobody is "paying some random stranger to verify a signature." That's not how the SS program works, or has ever worked. 

The "talent" has no claim to "the pay." Not sure what there is to "get." "The pay" is based on the book and its condition...NOT the signature.

Have you ever participated in the Signature Series program...? 

10 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"Consider the source", especially on threads like these, becomes paramount.

You have people who have no experience with the SS program, don't go to cons, don't get things signed, don't participate in the SS program at all, who don't talk to the SS program people at CGC, who don't participate in organizing conventions, who don't talk to convention promoters, who openly confess they have zero interest in signed books in the first place, and think it's "defacing" the comics, and who do none of the things necessary to make an informed, educated contribution to this discussion.

Instead, they make bad, ignorant, simplistic arguments like "I can't negotiate with my dentist" (no, but you can go elsewhere, and you probably aren't charged a different price for the service based on what you intend to do with your teeth) and "I don't see what the problem is charging a different price for the same service."

They don't know how much business the creator is doing. They aren't even in a position to guess.

They don't know that certain creators sit at conventions all weekend long, with no business the entire time, because they've priced themselves out of the market.

They don't know that the creators or their reps complain to promoters that they "had a bad show."

They don't know that creators are being lied to, and peer pressured, into charging more than they otherwise would.

The have no idea that creators don't participate in the SS market, and so generally have no idea how it works, other than "people are making $$$ off you!"

They don't understand that creators are creators for a reason; they're not economists, they're mostly not businessmen and women, and they don't really deal with "the business end" of things, which opens them up, in fear and greed, to manipulation by others.

And, frankly...they don't care that creators suffer because they don't get business, and they don't care that their lives are finite, or that a "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"...in other words, $10 for 150 books now is better than $20 for 0 books never. They don't care that creators are hurt by alienating fans, that fans are hurt by being treated like they're somehow taking advantage of the creator if they want their book slabbed, and CGC is hurt...whether it's obvious at the moment or not...by not getting submissions they otherwise would. 

Of course they "don't see a problem" with charging different prices...why would they? They don't participate in the first place. They have no stake...and thus don't care.

My advice..? You want to have an informed, educated opinion on the matter, go to these conventions and observe the situation. Be a witness (CGC is always looking for witness help.) Work the SS program, and see how it operates. Talk to creators. If you don't care about the Signature Series program or signed books in the first place, have never participated in it, and have no clue how it works, and zero interest in getting anything signed...explain to me again how your opinion has value...?

:popcorn:

I agree with everything you said, but I guess that you knew that you didn't need to convince me... Also it seems the same assertions get made every time this thread comes, but some don't understand and as well and think the same of you that your just repeating when they are too. And now I am too :pullhair:

Just wanted to say I appreciate that you try :foryou:

Some things seem destined for circles, but it is what it is when there are different environments. Some just have more leverage or control of things than others..... 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM