• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Career Opportunities
3 3

156 posts in this topic

Are current CGC employees at liberty to respond to this topic?

I'd really like to hear from current Comic Graders on how to get your foot in the door at CGC.  I don't have prior "professional grading experience" so I'm willing to start entry-level, educate myself, learn from experienced graders, apply CGC's practices, etc.  I know comics, I'm familiar enough with grading that I'd be a viable candidate, and I've got (1.) research skills and (2.) client/customer service experience from my non-comics professional career that would compliment job functions at CGC.  Plus, I'm ready & willing to relocate to Sarasota. 

1 hour ago, Slade Wilson said:

Are current CGC employees at liberty to respond to this topic?

I'd really like to hear from current Comic Graders on how to get your foot in the door at CGC.  I don't have prior "professional grading experience" so I'm willing to start entry-level, educate myself, learn from experienced graders, apply CGC's practices, etc.  I know comics, I'm familiar enough with grading that I'd be a viable candidate, and I've got (1.) research skills and (2.) client/customer service experience from my non-comics professional career that would compliment job functions at CGC.  Plus, I'm ready & willing to relocate to Sarasota. 

Maybe try the Ask CGC forum?  That might get noticed quicker than here.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:53 PM, kav said:
On 3/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, shadroch said:

I believe one of the early grading contest winners was offered a job with the company. Not that it was the prize of the contest, but his winning drew their attention.

Smart move on their part.  Someone who enjoys grading and takes it serious enough to do well in the contests would be an excellent grader and already know many of the things that are learned by experience.  Grading contests are definitely a teaching tool every year many people do better and better as they learn more.

Uh, yeah . . . too bad he was less than honest about it. :gossip:

On 7/5/2019 at 6:22 AM, Slade Wilson said:

I always see stories about perusing your dreams or doing what you love . . .

You can peruse your dreams all you want  . . . it's pursuing them that's the hard part. :grin:

I can attest that pursuing your dream, despite what hollywood says, is nearly always a complete waste of your life.  If it was true everyone would be a singer, actor, artist or writer-there would be no plumbers or ditch diggers.  

21 hours ago, kav said:

I can attest that pursuing your dream, despite what hollywood says, is nearly always a complete waste of your life.  If it was true everyone would be a singer, actor, artist or writer-there would be no plumbers or ditch diggers.  

I would say recklessly pursuing your dream forever without maximum effort or intelligence is probably a waste of time.  But if you are realistic and actually work hard and plan well, it can have a lot of benefits.

For example, if you REALLY REALLY wanted to be athlete or musician or actor as a youngster or lawyer or doctor, and you TRULY put in all your time and effort and passion into doing well in school and studying your craft, you should at minimum be able to get into college (assuming you didn't start in abject poverty), or be passionate enough to be disciplined into learning another trade to keep your dream alive.  But even if you don't go pro, you probably got a trade or college degree out of it, with a level of discipline that will be useful no matter where you eventually end up.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, kav said:

as a plumber AND a ditch digger, i resent that...  lol

On 8/8/2019 at 11:19 AM, divad said:

Uh, yeah . . . too bad he was less than honest about it. :gossip:

now THAT sounds like an intriguing story, if you're willing to share...  lol

11 hours ago, RLLewis said:

For those that do some serious grading of their own collection or other comics, about how long do you spend on a book?

Also, have you developed a check list to use?

Just wondering.

1. Depends on the Age. Older books, which are subject to more wear-and-tear and/or more brittle condition, require more TLC when handling them. I could probably grade all of my Moderns within a minute.

2. Can you clarify what you mean by "check list"?

On 8/8/2019 at 1:23 PM, divad said:

You can peruse your dreams all you want  . . . it's pursuing them that's the hard part. :grin:

damn .. that cuts deep LOL, I wasn't going to say it.... Bwaaaa   Your just an evil evil person ;)

Best laugh all day !!!

Edited by Arak Zantara

55 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Why?

A second location could house more graders,etc. therefore cutting down turnaround time. Maybe a west coast division that handles everything Texas and westward and Florida could handle east of Texas. Get those books back faster! 

23 minutes ago, ReporterSixx said:
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Why?

A second location could house more graders,etc. therefore cutting down turnaround time. Maybe a west coast division that handles everything Texas and westward and Florida could handle east of Texas. Get those books back faster! 

Two locations would not work.

All books need to go through the same graders.  What if the west coast graders got a reputation for being "too tight"?  The west coast office wouldn't get any submissions.