• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Why didn't it impact the MCU before 2023, then? Prequels and retconning typically ruins stuff. Like Solo. It made a bunch of stupid stuff up that didn't add to the mythos of Han. In fact, it made Star Wars worse for me.

Sticking with the Star Wars Films Analogy, I'm thinking this would shape up to be more like Rogue One. Fleshing out the back story and filling in essential pieces that work to explain how we got to where we started.

2 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Sticking with the Star Wars Films Analogy, I'm thinking this would shape up to be more like Rogue One. Fleshing out the back story and filling in essential pieces that work to explain how we got to where we started.

I didn't care for Rogue One, either, outside of Darth Vader.

Sure, it closed a Death Star plot hole, but it offered really nothing else.

If The Eternals = Rogue One then this will be about as interesting as I already suspect it.

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I read some article recently thinking The Eternals are gods and therefore these will be the makers of everything Marvel. Isn't the Marvel pecking order something like:

1. Celestials
2. One-Above-All (Jack Kirby?)
3. The Living Tribunal
4. The Gods (I get confused sometimes if it is the Asgardians or Olympians as more powerful)
5. Eternals

The Beyonder and Oblivion are at the top I thought? Both I’ve read are to powerful for the movies...?

3 hours ago, Antpark said:

3 hours ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

I didn't care for Rogue One, either, outside of Darth Vader.

Sure, it closed a Death Star plot hole, but it offered really nothing else.

If The Eternals = Rogue One then this will be about as interesting as I already suspect it.

The Eternals isn't a prequel in the sense of Rogue One. Rogue One (a worthless movie I agree) served only to tell the tale of the people who got Leia the plans.  The Eternals opens up another untold segment of the Marvel Universe as much as Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor does. Just because the movie spans a millenia and begins at the dawn of mankind does not mean it's a prequel. It's a new franchise within the larger MCU franchise which should have at least another two sequels if Eternals I does well. Just as Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy meant the MCU is not bounded to Earth, now future films like the Eternals and perhaps Dr Strange II mean the MCU is no longer bounded by time or dimension.

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

The Beyonder and Oblivion are at the top I thought? Both I’ve read are to powerful for the movies...?

Supposedly One-Above-All is if not equal to the Celestials, and a tiny notch below.

oneaboveall01.thumb.jpg.49a6252fb990cf5e7677a2cf28170f09.jpg

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Supposedly One-Above-All is if not equal to the Celestials, and a tiny notch below.

oneaboveall01.thumb.jpg.49a6252fb990cf5e7677a2cf28170f09.jpg

A few threads I read suggest that Pre-Retcon Beyonder is strongest however writers have weakened him over the years. I watch this video (see below) about Oblivian which is pretty enjoyable and good.  He has a bunch of them.

13 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The Eternals isn't a prequel in the sense of Rogue One. Rogue One (a worthless movie I agree) served only to tell the tale of the people who got Leia the plans.  The Eternals opens up another untold segment of the Marvel Universe as much as Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor does. Just because the movie spans a millenia and begins at the dawn of mankind does not mean it's a prequel. It's a new franchise within the larger MCU franchise which should have at least another two sequels if Eternals I does well. Just as Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy meant the MCU is not bounded to Earth, now future films like the Eternals and perhaps Dr Strange II mean the MCU is no longer bounded by time or dimension.

Actually, it does. You can't change the definition of the word "prequel".

40 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Actually, it does. You can't change the definition of the word "prequel".

Does that mean then that Iron Man is a prequel to Thor or that Black Panther is a sequel to Civil War or that Captain America is a prequel to Captain Marvel or Ant-Man is the sequel to Age of Ultron? No it doesn't. 

I think you're taking the idea of the Infinity Saga as one story a bit too literally. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Does that mean then that Iron Man is a prequel to Thor or that Black Panther is a sequel to Civil War or that Captain America is a prequel to Captain Marvel or Ant-Man is the sequel to Age of Ultron? No it doesn't. 

Google "prequel". You seem unnecessarily confused.

The Eternals is a prequel. Captain America was a prequel.

If we're considering every MCU film together using the terms prequel and sequel don't seem useful.  Will the Black Widow film be a prequel?  Sort of since it's set in the past, but it takes place after other MCU films like the first Cap movie, so if it precedes some but succeeds others it's not a terribly useful descriptor.  It looks like Marvel will continue to freely tell stories that can appear at almost any point in the timeline of the MCU, so it's more useful to just explicitly describe where it fits in the timeline, i.e. "before this" and "after that."

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If we're considering every MCU film together using the terms prequel and sequel don't seem useful.  Will the Black Widow film be a prequel?  Sort of since it's set in the past, but it takes place after other MCU films like the first Cap movie, so if it precedes some but succeeds others it's not a terribly useful descriptor.  It looks like Marvel will continue to freely tell stories that can appear at almost any point in the timeline of the MCU, so it's more useful to just explicitly describe where it fits in the timeline, i.e. "before this" and "after that."

Context matters. Even without it tho, Captain America, Captain Marvel, and The Eternals all tell stories that precede EVERY SINGLE movie's events released before them. They are all undeniably prequels.

Black Widow is a prequel in the sense that it tells a story of a dead character. Can't get much more prequel than that.

Prequels are almost never a good idea.

2 minutes ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Context matters. Even without it tho, Captain America, Captain Marvel, and The Eternals all tell stories that precede EVERY SINGLE movie's events released before them. They are all undeniably prequels.

Black Widow is a prequel in the sense that it tells a story of a dead character. Can't get much more prequel than that.

Prequels are almost never a good idea.

The wikipedia definition of "prequel" defines it as a work that informs the backstory of a preceding work. I would say if Eternals was about the childhood of Steve Rogers or about how Mar Vell came to Earth to help Skrulls and met Carol Danvers or was about how Thanos grew up on Titan and gained his apocalyptic tendency then yes, it might be a prequel. But Eternals, if it's based on the comics at all, will be its own story. Yes, it will also tell the tale of how the universe was formed but that, in a direct prequel to sequel sense, has nothing to do with Thanos and his Infinity Quest or Mar Vell arriving on Earth or the formative years of Steve Rogers.

The wikipedia definition of "prequel" defines it as a work that informs the backstory of a preceding work. I would say if Eternals was about the childhood of Steve Rogers or about how Mar Vell came to Earth to help Skrulls and met Carol Danvers or was about how Thanos grew up on Titan and gained his apocalyptic tendency then yes, it might be a prequel. But Eternals, if it's based on the comics at all, will be its own story. Yes, it will also tell the tale of how the universe was formed but that, in a direct prequel to sequel sense, has nothing to do with Thanos and his Infinity Quest or Mar Vell arriving on Earth or the formative years of Steve Rogers.

Dictionary: "a story or movie containing events that precede those of an existing work".

The Eternals is undeniably a prequel. The MCU is a franchise and each individual film tells a relative story. So prequel. As I said before, you appear to be unaware of Marvel Comics, because Thanos had a deviant gene. And you can't say what The Eternals will or won't do since you haven't seen it. Not sure why you're arguing with logic.

1 minute ago, Taneleer Tivan said:

Dictionary: "a story or movie containing events that precede those of an existing work".

The Eternals is undeniably a prequel. The MCU is a franchise and each individual film tells a relative story. So prequel. As I said before, you appear to be unaware of Marvel Comics, because Thanos had a deviant gene. And you can't say what The Eternals will or won't do since you haven't seen it. Not sure why you're arguing with logic.

I'm just trying to help you open your mind and not see everything as a sequel or a prequel. Life doesn't have to be so linear. But if you want to stand your ground and say Eternals is nothing but a prequel to Thanos, then I probably can't help you.

I'm just trying to help you open your mind and not see everything as a sequel or a prequel. Life doesn't have to be so linear. But if you want to stand your ground and say Eternals is nothing but a prequel to Thanos, then I probably can't help you.

The Eternals has nothing to do with life or open-mindedness. It's simply a prequel movie. Fighting fact doesn't open ones mind. It deludes it.

6 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Life doesn't have to be so linear.

But ego does, which is what typically motivates someone to post indefinitely about any idea that was worth one or two posts at most.

14 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The Eternals isn't a prequel in the sense of Rogue One.

It's not a big deal to get excited over. But even the cast recognizes The Eternals laid the groundwork for all that we have experienced in the MCU.

If you run into them at a show, straighten them out. :baiting:
Edited by Bosco685