• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

Since I've now watched the 2014 Thanos die in 2023, I feel like I'm living a prequel right now.

I can't wait for the Spider-Man 2099 film to come out so we can finally start calling every film in the main timeline a prequel.  :cloud9:

21 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Since I've now watched the 2014 Thanos die in 2023, I feel like I'm living a prequel right now.

I can't wait for the Spider-Man 2099 film to come out so we can finally start calling every film in the main timeline a prequel.  :cloud9:

A prequel is when you witness a film that is released after other films in 'current' continuity, but takes place prior to them in time.

Unless the majority of films take place in 2099 after its release, then that doesn't make 2099 the prime time frame, and therefor they would not be prequels.

On 8/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, valiantman said:

I would be interested in how Knowhere came about.  It's the severed head of a Celestial avatar... so... how did that happen? hm

It wasn’t explained in the Nova series during the Annihilation storyline.

If it was me, I’d have a Cosmic  version of Devil Dinosaur responsible.

This is a smart move.

Marvel's next big team in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is unquestionably The Eternals, and while newcomers to the comics might not be super aware of the group, Marvel will be launching two books this December that will get you up to speed. The first is a reprint of the classic Jack Kirby written and drawn Eternals #1, which featured the group's first appearance and many of the concepts that fans will see in the upcoming film. The book originally hit stores in 1976, and the Facsimile Edition will bring the original book back to life including all of the ads that were originally featured.

The second book is Eternals: Secrets From The Marvel Universe, which will collect material from the Untold Tales of the Marvel Universe that originated in What If? issues #23 through #30. Those stories featured the secret origins of the Eternals as well as their connections to Thanos and the Inhumans, and we imagine if Marvel is bringing those particular stories up here we could see something related to them when the movie hits.

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The second book is Eternals: Secrets From The Marvel Universe, which will collect material from the Untold Tales of the Marvel Universe that originated in What If? issues #23 through #30. Those stories featured the secret origins of the Eternals as well as their connections to Thanos and the Inhumans, and we imagine if Marvel is bringing those particular stories up here we could see something related to them when the movie hits.

I've always liked those short stories, especially the way they link in the ancient civilisations elsewhere in the outer solar system on Titan and Uranus, which couldn't possibly have been established by humanity.  Good stuff.

17 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've always liked those short stories, especially the way they link in the ancient civilisations elsewhere in the outer solar system on Titan and Uranus, which couldn't possibly have been established by humanity.  Good stuff.

Keep comments about old :censored:es to yourself.

Do we know when this movie is set?  Is it the distant past?  If so, I'm wondering if this movie was planned almost entirely to introduce mutants into the MCU.  I'm half-expecting it to end with something related to that, with possibly the post-credits scene featuring ancient Egypt and En Sabah Nur, i.e. Apocalypse (the first mutant).

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Do we know when this movie is set?  Is it the distant past?  If so, I'm wondering if this movie was planned almost entirely to introduce mutants into the MCU.  I'm half-expecting it to end with something related to that, with possibly the post-credits scene featuring ancient Egypt and En Sabah Nur, i.e. Apocalypse (the first mutant).

The Eternals was planned before the Disney-Fox deal happened. From what I've read, the Eternals movie takes place throughout history up to the present, just like the comics. While mutants are tied to the Deviant gene in the comics, I'm pretty sure the Eternals movie exists mainly to introduce the Eternals and the next wave of cosmic elements to the MCU.

When Marvel Studios is ready to introduce the X-Men years from now, they may use the Deviant gene as an explanation for why mutants exist. But it won't be next year.

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

When Marvel Studios is ready to introduce the X-Men years from now, they may use the Deviant gene as an explanation for why mutants exist. But it won't be next year.

Seems like they would use the "your great-great-great-grandfather/grandmother was an Eternal who fell in love with a human, and the 'eternal gene' isn't always active... but it is in you."