• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

she's two for her last two (in a big way), whether this means anything for Eternals remains to be seen

Searchlight’s Nomadland, energized the proceedings just yesterday, garnering strong notices for Chloe Zhao’s direction and Frances McDormand’s lead performance — and ultimately took the Golden Lion for Best Picture.

I saw that Kro product image, but I didn't realize he was the film's main villain...good to know.  (thumbsu  How was that confirmed?  I haven't even seen confirmation that Kro was even in the film until now...he's still not in the IMDB credits yet.  He looks to be a fully-CGI character, but I'm assuming someone voices him.  Maybe IMDB just doesn't list characters when the actor is unknown.

Not a particularly compelling character design, but I'm sure I'll like him a LOT more once I've seen the film.  Really rough go for this film that it was already a stretch to make it given that even long-time Marvel fans are barely familiar with the Eternals, but the Covid delay and inevitable character leaks due to leaked toy images sitting ready to go in warehouses made it far rougher.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I saw that Kro product image, but I didn't realize he was the film's main villain...good to know.  (thumbsu  How was that confirmed?  I haven't even seen confirmation that Kro was even in the film until now...he's still not in the IMDB credits yet.  He looks to be a fully-CGI character, but I'm assuming someone voices him.  Maybe IMDB just doesn't list characters when the actor is unknown.

Not a particularly compelling character design, but I'm sure I'll like him a LOT more once I've seen the film.  Really rough go for this film that it was already a stretch to make it given that even long-time Marvel fans are barely familiar with the Eternals, but the Covid delay and inevitable character leaks due to leaked toy images sitting ready to go in warehouses made it far rougher.

Yea thats why I put it behind a spoiler tab.  It hasn't been confirmed anywhere yet that he's the "main villain" since nothing has been fully revealed. Feige did say the Deviants would be part of the film though, and given their history it seems safe to assume.

The figure also has the same packaging and logos as the Selma Hayak Ajax figure that leaked earlier. I half expect this to be his "final form" figure since its in an oversized box, and I'd be willing to bet for a portion of the film he looks different and has an outfit or armor of some sort. With how diverse the cast is, he could be played by literally anyone, but my bet is on someone British and baritone because there's nothing more menacingly trope-y. 

The National Society of Film Critics named Chloé Zhao’s Nomadland, starring Frances McDormand, the best picture of 2020.

Runners-up for the best picture category were First Cow and Never Rarely Sometimes Always. Nomadland won big during Saturday’s annual voting ceremony as Zhao walked away with the best director win and McDormand won the best actress category.

2c she's undeniably on fire but can she make The Eternals interesting? I'm intrigued.

I have to say, this is the MCU movie I'm most looking forward to seeing down the road.  Marvel has been the "King of the 3-Star Movie" for a long time, which I have generally loved, but I like the idea of something with new substance to it.  (I hope.)  Can't wait to see her vision for the film.

Dan

13 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I predict Gemma Chan as Sersi will be the breakout star of this movie. Everybody talking about all the other characters but nobody talking about Sersi because nobody knows who the actress is.

Wasn't she one of the Kree Warriors in Captain Marvel?

Nomadland, which was written, directed, edited, and produced by Eternals director Chloe Zhao, has officially been nominated by the 2021 Golden Globes for Best Picture, Best Screenplay, Best Actress, and Best Director. This bodes very well that Eternals is going to be an excellent film.

21 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

I'd temper expectations, considering that Nomadland is based on non-fiction.

Chloe Zhao's three feature films to date(I've only seen the first two) all seem to mix fiction and non-fiction into Terence Malick inspired ultimately fiction films. It would be crazy if Eternals ends up being an MCU movie that looks and feels like a Terence Malick film. If so, this adds further credence to my belief that Kevin Feige took Martin Scorsese's charge that comic book movies aren't real cinema personally, and wants to try to make MCU TV shows and films a little more cinema.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Chloe Zhao's three feature films to date(I've only seen the first two) all seem to mix fiction and non-fiction into Terence Malick inspired ultimately fiction films. It would be crazy if Eternals ends up being an MCU movie that looks and feels like a Terence Malick film. If so, this adds further credence to my belief that Kevin Feige took Martin Scorsese's charge that comic book movies aren't real cinema personally, and wants to try to make MCU TV shows and films a little more cinema.

Lmfao, what?

Just now, Angel of Death said:

It's interesting that you think Feige is that petty.

I don't think taking a comment from Martin Scorsese seriously and trying to up your game as a result isn't being petty. If it results in higher quality storytelling from the MCU, I think that's a good thing. Of course, I think a lot of past MCU films, like Russo Bros films and Black Panther, are on that higher plane of cinema. I think we might see deeper and more emotionally gripping films coming out of Marvel Studios. I'm looking at the filmmakers attached to future MCU projects and most of them are edgy award winning filmmakers, like Chloe Zhao, Daniel Destin Cretin, and Nia DaCosta. Feige dropped the old Dr Strange director for Sam Raimi. The writing seems to be on the wall for me, but we'll see.