• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2021 at 10:33 AM, media_junkie said:

The Forgotten One/Gilgamesh was an Eternal and became an Avenger in issue 300, and stuck around for 10 issues or so ( about a year).  Sersi did not officially join the team until about issue 314/315.

So yes while Sersi was on the Avengers team longest, she wasn't the only, nor even the first Eternal to join the team.

what about Starfox? 

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The Real Reason Taika Waititi Played The Role Of Hitler In Jojo Rabbit

I think this is where I post 'Ummm...yes...'

:baiting:

goon.png.f8681bcefb4483e4984ffbc7a74ca645.png

See this NPR interview:

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/18/771219868/director-taika-waititi-on-jojo-rabbit

"So you were told, essentially, if you want to make this movie, you were going to play Hitler.

WAITITI: Yeah. And we discussed it. And I thought, you guys are nuts because it doesn't make any sense. I'm like a brown Polynesian from New Zealand. I don't - it's a weird idea. But they made a great point, which is that the way that character was written, I think in the hands of someone who's overthinking it, it might actually get twisted into, I guess, more of an authentic portrayal of Hitler..."

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

See this NPR interview:

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/18/771219868/director-taika-waititi-on-jojo-rabbit

"So you were told, essentially, if you want to make this movie, you were going to play Hitler.

WAITITI: Yeah. And we discussed it. And I thought, you guys are nuts because it doesn't make any sense. I'm like a brown Polynesian from New Zealand. I don't - it's a weird idea. But they made a great point, which is that the way that character was written, I think in the hands of someone who's overthinking it, it might actually get twisted into, I guess, more of an authentic portrayal of Hitler..."

All I know is in a live forum on camera he admitted to writing the role for himself as someone of Jewish descent to mock Hitler. Maybe he didn't want to admit that on NPR and come across full of himself by creating the role that way. But there you go. No revisionist history to fall back on.

(shrug)

8 hours ago, fett said:

what about Starfox? 

That is correct, Starfox was an Eternal from the moon Titan (and also Thanos's brother).  He was with the Avengers well before issue 300 and Gilgamesh.  I'm going to fall back and say in my earlier post I was just talking about the "Earth Bound" Eternals and not the "Space Faring" Eternals.  Do I get a No-Prize?

Kevin Feige to Variety recently regarding Sersi of The Eternals:

"There were some characters that we change from male to female, there were some characters that we knew how we were altering them from the books," Feige told Variety. "But then also it came down to casting. So for Sersi, for instance — and if there was a lead in this ensemble, it is Sersi, it is Gemma Chan — we looked at and read all sorts of women for that part. And ended up really believing that Gemma was best for it. And thankfully, she's proven that to be the case in the final movie. So, of course, Chloé was a big part of that decision, and of every casting decision."

I been saying since last year that Sersi is going to be the star of The Eternals. Meanwhile speculators have been losing their minds over Black Knight or Celestials or anybody else and disregarding Sersi because a relative unknown, Gemma Chan, is in the role (and causing her key books to tank).

The Eternals is the first movie thus far in the MCU that I have skepticism about but am also the most intrigued by in a long time (kind of like how I was with Wandavision).

Up until now, everything in the current MCU has been great, with the exception of a couple films and even they are still very watchable. My problem with the Eternals is the same problem the Eternals have as a comic book series. They are gods, and they really have no business being on the same level as superheroes yet Marvel tried to do so back in the 70's with Kirby's original series and what started as a solid story eventually fizzled. It is also why we have not had an Eternals comic series worth a read since. 

Now, I have heard people say "oh well they will do it differently, like with the Guardians of the Galaxy." How? You cannot make the Eternals wise-cracking outcasts...that would not work and would just be the same as doing another Guardians. I am very intrigued by this film and, while I have trust in what Fiege is doing, I would not be surprised if it flops. That being said, he and his team have shown time and time again they can make it work so therein lies the intrigue. How can you tell a compelling story within the MCU with these godlike characters? Will other MCU characters become involved? In many ways, it is almost a film that should be separate but we know everything ties together and that is where I am most interested to see how this is done without diminishing the characters' abilities. I think that, while this film could still have some great acting, it might flop as a story.

Have we heard any rumblings about villains for this film? Is it presumed we get introduced to the deviants? And how will that connect with the assumed Secret Invasion storyline that seems to be coming about?

39 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

The Eternals is the first movie thus far in the MCU that I have skepticism about but am also the most intrigued by in a long time (kind of like how I was with Wandavision).

Up until now, everything in the current MCU has been great, with the exception of a couple films and even they are still very watchable. My problem with the Eternals is the same problem the Eternals have as a comic book series. They are gods, and they really have no business being on the same level as superheroes yet Marvel tried to do so back in the 70's with Kirby's original series and what started as a solid story eventually fizzled. It is also why we have not had an Eternals comic series worth a read since. 

Now, I have heard people say "oh well they will do it differently, like with the Guardians of the Galaxy." How? You cannot make the Eternals wise-cracking outcasts...that would not work and would just be the same as doing another Guardians. I am very intrigued by this film and, while I have trust in what Fiege is doing, I would not be surprised if it flops. That being said, he and his team have shown time and time again they can make it work so therein lies the intrigue. How can you tell a compelling story within the MCU with these godlike characters? Will other MCU characters become involved? In many ways, it is almost a film that should be separate but we know everything ties together and that is where I am most interested to see how this is done without diminishing the characters' abilities. I think that, while this film could still have some great acting, it might flop as a story.

Have we heard any rumblings about villains for this film? Is it presumed we get introduced to the deviants? And how will that connect with the assumed Secret Invasion storyline that seems to be coming about?

In the comics, Eternals aren't gods. They are humans evolved by the Celestials to fight their other creations, the mutated Deviants.

By default, the Deviants are supposed to be the bad guys. But they aren't always that. Thena has a forbidden love affair with the Deviant Kro. Eternals allies Karnak and Ransak are themselves Deviants. Often times in the comics, the threat to the Eternals or to their interests came from one of their own. In the original Kirby series, the ultimate threat to the Eternals ended up being Druig, an Eternal and played in the movie by Barry Keoghan. Celestials have also at times been a threat. Celestials are supposed to be in the film, but whether as a flashback or in the present is unknown.

"How can you tell a compelling story within the MCU with these godlike characters?" First, they did it with Thor. Second, what I always found so interesting about the Eternals, or at least some of them, like Sersi, is that they live amongst us. Of all of them, Sersi loves life amongst normal humans the most. I'm sure that's what will be the case in this film, that they live amongst us like everyday people. Think Highlander, maybe. In the Neil Gaiman Eternals series, they have no memory that they are Eternals but are then awakened from their amnesia.

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

In the comics, Eternals aren't gods. They are humans evolved by the Celestials to fight their other creations, the mutated Deviants.

Yes, thanks for clarifying. My point was unclear... what I was meaning was that they are on another level, that of gods, and seemingly even more powerful than Thor. So perhaps a storyline where the Celestials select humans to evolve to battle the Deviants would still work. I just feel that, like Thor, they are characters that might have a hard time if put alongside other Marvel heroes. Thor, in his films, was primarily dealing with issues within his "realm" as it were. So perhaps that is needed for the Eternals to be successful...however they are (generally) based on Earth so any Earthly threat that comes about (on a large scale) you would have to think they would be involved.

I also know that they will be the hardest to adapt and gain interest for general audiences (which, like it or not, is what a large portion of the viewing audience of MCU movies is). Guardians were unknown but easy to get people interested in because, visually, you had two weird green aliens, a talking raccoon and a tree. I mean, that piques interest in those who have no clue who the original GOTG are/were. Add in the humour and boom, success. Here, the key will be to make the Eternals interesting, otherwise I still have my reservations that this could (emphasis on could) be the worst MCU flick to date.  

Edited by comicginger1789

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

So the entire plot has actually leaked from some test screenings, I could link it here if you want. It's just the base story elements, so take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure the actual acting, score, and cinematography adds a lot to the viewing experience. It deviates quite a bit from the source material. It's more of a self contained story since a lot of it takes place in the past. It focuses on the core line up of Eternals and Black Knight, don't expect any other heros to show up. Their powers are probably more in line with what's already been shown in the MCU I don't think they'll be supremely powerful in comparison. Most of it will be serious with a few characters being used to break that up like Kingo. The Deviants are villains I posted some pictures of toy leaks a couple pages back. The main piece that will connect this film to the rest of the MCU going forward will be Sersi and Black Knights modern day romance. I don't think this will have anything to do with Secret Invasion. Hope I answered all your questions. (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yes, thanks for clarifying. My point was unclear... what I was meaning was that they are on another level, that of gods, and seemingly even more powerful than Thor. So perhaps a storyline where the Celestials select humans to evolve to battle the Deviants would still work. I just feel that, like Thor, they are characters that might have a hard time if put alongside other Marvel heroes. Thor, in his films, was primarily dealing with issues within his "realm" as it were. So perhaps that is needed for the Eternals to be successful...however they are (generally) based on Earth so any Earthly threat that comes about (on a large scale) you would have to think they would be involved.

I also know that they will be the hardest to adapt and gain interest for general audiences (which, like it or not, is what a large portion of the viewing audience of MCU movies is). Guardians were unknown but easy to get people interested in because, visually, you had two weird green aliens, a talking raccoon and a tree. I mean, that piques interest in those who have no clue who the original GOTG are/were. Add in the humour and boom, success. Here, the key will be to make the Eternals interesting, otherwise I still have my reservations that this could (emphasis on could) be the worst MCU flick to date.  

From rumors and leaks, part of that interest will be the human interest of these Eternals as they live and love amongst humankind. Sersi is apparently a college professor and is dating some human guy called Dane Whitman, Kingo Sunen is apparently a Bollywood actor, and Phastos I believe is an engineer and also gay and has his own family with a human.

3 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

So the entire plot has actually leaked from some test screenings, I could link it here if you want. It's just the base story elements, so take it with a grain of salt as I'm sure the actual acting, score, and cinematography adds a lot to the viewing experience. It deviates quite a bit from the source material. It's more of a self contained story since a lot of it takes place in the past. It focuses on the core line up of Eternals and Black Knight, don't expect any other heros to show up. Their powers are probably more in line with what's already been shown in the MCU I don't think they'll be supremely powerful in comparison. Most of it will be serious with a few characters being used to break that up like Kingo. The Deviants are villains I posted some pictures of toy leaks a couple pages back. The main piece that will connect this film to the rest of the MCU going forward will be Sersi and Black Knights modern day romance. I don't think this will have anything to do with Secret Invasion. Hope I answered all your questions. (thumbsu

Thank you! Now this sounds intriguing, especially being set in the past at some point and not the current MCU landscape.

Also, moving forward with a character or two like Sersi and Dane is also a great idea. And if they can tell a compelling enough story, I am all for it. I just foresee it being a challenge, especially considering that to date, they are probably the least unknown characters Marvel has tried to use, especially in a big screen sense. 

I worry the story will be lacklustre and ho hum. I worry Angelina Jolie will be a bore. I worry that Gemma Chan will give a great performance but that it will not be enough to make this movie a success. Obviously I hope I am wrong, and that once seen, I will no longer have any doubts with anything they try to do moving forward. 

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Thank you! Now this sounds intriguing, especially being set in the past at some point and not the current MCU landscape.

Also, moving forward with a character or two like Sersi and Dane is also a great idea. And if they can tell a compelling enough story, I am all for it. I just foresee it being a challenge, especially considering that to date, they are probably the least unknown characters Marvel has tried to use, especially in a big screen sense. 

I worry the story will be lacklustre and ho hum. I worry Angelina Jolie will be a bore. I worry that Gemma Chan will give a great performance but that it will not be enough to make this movie a success. Obviously I hope I am wrong, and that once seen, I will no longer have any doubts with anything they try to do moving forward. 

The "word" from inside Marvel is that the Disney execs are blown away by Eternals and are in disbelief at the quality film that they have on their hands. The director did just sweep the Oscars. We'll see. As to the story, I've seen two leaks that are very different from each other but also both supposed to be legit. I'm ignoring all other leaks until the movie comes out. The only thing I'm taking to heart is Kevin Feige's recent statement that Sersi is the lead of the film which makes me very happy as I'm moderately invested in Sersi key books.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The "word" from inside Marvel is that the Disney execs are blown away by Eternals and are in disbelief at the quality film that they have on their hands. The director did just sweep the Oscars.

I think the critique we've seen in the past is that Marvel like to keep a pretty tight grip on things and don't necessarily allow the directors to spread their wings like they would with an independent film.  So just because the director won an Oscar, I don't expect the film to have the same creative stamp.  Not negging the movie in any way, I'm just saying that I expect the film to still have many of the same qualities as the Marvel movies that came before it.