• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2019 at 12:52 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

A9AB2ABB-C64A-4F71-8491-D9C85E975D0C.thumb.jpeg.03470b0e89c5745b55c4cb08b02dfb08.jpeg

C302DBDD-92DD-4902-BC71-932E0072B4E0.thumb.jpeg.f2a00b725fbb417d8b114366b922d883.jpeg

Strong statements like this by the movie’s principal actor get me excited for it.

I have nothing personal against Angelia Jolie but sadly she "stole" someone's idea AND I know the deaf actress personally.

Jolie's former deaf employee.  Ripped off the deaf actress's idea.  Her idea and her possible role in that movie but the role went to someone else.

50 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I have nothing personal against Angelia Jolie but sadly she "stole" someone's idea AND I know the deaf actress personally.

Jolie's former deaf employee.  Ripped off the deaf actress's idea.  Her idea and her possible role in that movie but the role went to someone else.

Interesting. Well if the actress has a strong case I hope Disney sees fit to compensate her and give credit where it’s due.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

What a great idea. I get chills thinking about what this could mean to a young hearing impaired girl, although I must plead my ignorance...not sure how someone watches tv who’s deaf and can’t read yet, just read lips I guess?

Hey buddy!  Most of us deaf/hard of hearing people are smart as you - we are just normal people like you except hearing.  Your ignorance is a blessing and I am happy to tell you details here. We have access with closed caption on TV, cable, apps and others (some not but we have to ensure them to provide the closed caption). The movie theatres do have the special devices for deaf and hard of hearing people.  Sometimes they do have the special time for watching the movie with an open caption.  Thanks to the advance technology with better accessibility. 

Ok, don't think us if we can't read something but some hearing people can't read or write - it depends on the individuals who have limited. Speaking of reading lips, one on one in an easy conservation, I can read lips. If two people, I am doing ok, not always that I can catch every word. Sometimes, I ask them to repeat some phrases.  Sometimes, writing on the paper or using the text messages. Any kind of communication modes I can use.  It's my job.  I have professional certified American Sign Language interpreter if I really need for the job interview or important meeting or something else. If I watch the person who speaks for one hours, I probably get only 10% of what the person says. Some words may deceive me any word with starting with B, M and P for example, Man can be Pan, Bat can be Pat, Big can be Pig, et cetera so I have to ask him/her if he/she mentioned that word.  Sometimes, I am right or get corrected.  I know it sucks but I have to live with it.

BTW, I have two kids - my 13 years old son and 11 years old daughter were born deaf and have bilateral cochlear implants.  They started to learn how to hear the sounds since they were toddlers.  Right now, they are passing as the hearing people.  It's wonderful tools for them so they always will feel equality in the hearing world.  Sometimes, they are my interpreters but i asked them to not do any favors.  I just wanted to make sure that they will never get behind anything what the hearing people are doing everyday so my kids won't go through obstacles that I have been through. They sleep peacefully without wearing them at nights. Sometimes, too noisy out there, they can take them off. Whenever they can like to.  Of course, they fluent in American Sign Language. My daughter is learning to speak Spanish. I know some Spanish but I don't speak Spanish well but my profanity in Spanish is almost perfect. They love my profanity.

Those actresses are at disadvantages because both are lessen known people unlike Angelia Jodie who is powerful, has best agents and superb network in the movie industry. Lauren Ridoff has only few movie credits and smaller roles in Wonderstuck, Walking Dead and soon-released Etenrals.  Too many deaf actors and actresses are overlooked and forgotten easily. It requires them to work hard to make the breakthroughs but it's not easy and not so many opportunities out there for them. Only one made it.  That was Marlee Matlin but she is not on Top 0.1% of Earners, her last major TV or movie roles were L Word and Switched at Birth - the rest of her career are small roles.

I am an actor myself.  I love reading the scripts and enjoy acting all in my life.  Sometimes, I have to create the language environment with the hearing actors to make looking reality rather than looking awkward scenes.  I directed few plays that went well and wished they asked me to direct the plays often.  All I do is to be patient and ask or propose them about the future productions.  Take time.

Hope it helps.

Edited by JollyComics

11 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Hey buddy!  Most of us deaf/hard of hearing people are smart as you - we are just normal people like you except hearing.  Your ignorance is a blessing and I am happy to tell you details here. We have access with closed caption on TV, cable, apps and others (some not but we have to ensure them to provide the closed caption). The movie theatres do have the special devices for deaf and hard of hearing people.  Sometimes they do have the special time for watching the movie with an open caption.  Thanks to the advance technology with better accessibility. 

Ok, don't think us if we can't read something but some hearing people can't read or write - it depends on the individuals who have limited. Speaking of reading lips, one on one in an easy conservation, I can read lips. If two people, I am doing ok, not always that I can catch every word. Sometimes, I ask them to repeat some phrases.  Sometimes, writing on the paper or using the text messages. Any kind of communication modes I can use.  It's my job.  I have professional certified American Sign Language interpreter if I really need for the job interview or important meeting or something else. If I watch the person who speaks for one hours, I probably get only 10% of what the person says. Some words may deceive me any word with starting with B, M and P for example, Man can be Pan, Bat can be Pat, Big can be Pig, et cetera so I have to ask him/her if he/she mentioned that word.  Sometimes, I am right or get corrected.  I know it sucks but I have to live with it.

BTW, I have two kids - my 13 years old son and 11 years old daughter were born deaf and have bilateral cochlear implants.  They started to learn how to hear the sounds since they were toddlers.  Right now, they are passing as the hearing people.  It's wonderful tools for them so they always will feel equality in the hearing world.  Sometimes, they are my interpreters but i asked them to not do any favors.  I just wanted to make sure that they will never get behind anything what the hearing people are doing everyday so my kids won't go through obstacles that I have been through. They sleep peacefully without wearing them at nights. Sometimes, too noisy out there, they can take them off. Whenever they can like to.  Of course, they fluent in American Sign Language. My daughter is learning to speak Spanish. I know some Spanish but I don't speak Spanish well but my profanity in Spanish is almost perfect. They love my profanity.

Those actresses are at disadvantages because both are lessen known people unlike Angelia Jodie who is powerful, has best agents and superb network in the movie industry. Lauren Ridoff has only few movie credits and smaller roles in Wonderstuck, Walking Dead and soon-released Etenrals.  Too many deaf actors and actresses are overlooked and forgotten easily. It requires them to work hard to make the breakthroughs but it's not easy and not so many opportunities out there for them. Only one made it.  That was Marlee Matlin but she is not on Top 0.1% of Earners, her last major TV or movie roles were L Word and Switched at Birth - the rest of her career are small roles.

I am an actor myself.  I love reading the scripts and enjoy acting all in my life.  Sometimes, I have to create the language environment with the hearing actors to make looking reality rather than looking awkward scenes.  I directed few plays that went well and wished they asked me to direct the plays often.  All I do is to be patient and ask or propose them about the future productions.  Take time.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I apologize if anything I said implied I think the hearing challenged aren’t smart, that thought never crossed my mind! My mind immediately went to my 5yr old who can’t read yet, and if she were in that situation, not sure how she could enjoy it? I guess the answer is it’s probably not age appropriate...but putting that aside, I’m curious (assuming no implant)? I suppose not being able to watch tv is probably a good thing, especially at that age. Like moths to a flame.

50 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I apologize if anything I said implied I think the hearing challenged aren’t smart, that thought never crossed my mind! My mind immediately went to my 5yr old who can’t read yet, and if she were in that situation, not sure how she could enjoy it? I guess the answer is it’s probably not age appropriate...but putting that aside, I’m curious (assuming no implant)? I suppose not being able to watch tv is probably a good thing, especially at that age. Like moths to a flame.

My daughter didn't utter a word until she was four!   Her language is superb and superior intelligent. High vocabulary. I didn't teach her that much but she learns on her own.  She is easy to communicate.  Never know!

The youngest age of the implant receiptent is 3 months old.  My son got first one on his right at 11 months old and got his second one on his left at 4 years old. My daughter got first one at 6 months old then second one at 11 months old. The critical age is 7 because all memories will be absorbed for long term memory included the native language and all sounds.  To anyone who gets the implants after 7 is having hard time to learn and memorize distinctive sounds.

As of today, between 4 to 11 children born deaf (or hearing loss at early age) every 11,000 children. 99.9% of children born to hearing parents are HIGHLY liking to get the implants than deaf parents. There is only less than 1% of 3rd to 5th generations are deaf in the world.  My kids just happened to be 2nd generation that is pretty unusual. My generations track back to The Mayflower.  There is no record of my descendants were deaf except my little brother is hard of hearing. My wife has none.  We are fewest deaf parents to have deaf children implanted. The deaf world is kind of against it because it can destroy the deaf culture - it is utterly not true. Just a misunderstanding. The deaf world is pretty small (about 15 million deaf people in USA).

Normally, the hearing elementary students can learn about 25,000 words or 20-40 words per day that is way ahead of the deaf students who have learned only 2500 words (most from the sign language) without using the benefits of the cochlear implants. They do not see ahead unlike we knew the technology has tremendously improved than 20 years old.  It was right time at the right place for my kids. That is my 2 cents.

Edited by JollyComics

40 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

My daughter didn't utter a word until she was four!   Her language is superb and superior intelligent. High vocabulary. I didn't teach her that much but she learns on her own.  She is easy to communicate.  Never know!

The youngest age of the implant receiptent is 3 months old.  My son got first one on his right at 11 months old and got his second one on his left at 4 years old. My daughter got first one at 6 months old then second one at 11 months old. The critical age is 7 because all memories will be absorbed for long term memory included the native language and all sounds.  To anyone who gets the implants after 7 is having hard time to learn and memorize distinctive sounds.

As of today, between 4 to 11 children born deaf (or hearing loss at early age) every 11,000 children. 99.9% of children born to hearing parents are HIGHLY liking to get the implants than deaf parents. There is only less than 1% of 3rd to 5th generations are deaf in the world.  My kids just happened to be 2nd generation that is pretty unusual. My generations track back to The Mayflower.  There is no record of my descendants were deaf except my little brother is hard of hearing. My wife has none.  We are fewest deaf parents to have deaf children implanted. The deaf world is kind of against it because it can destroy the deaf culture - it is utterly not true. Just a misunderstanding. The deaf world is pretty small (about 15 million deaf people in USA).

Normally, the hearing elementary students can learn about 25,000 words or 20-40 words per day that is way ahead of the deaf students who have learned only 2500 words (most from the sign language) without using the benefits of the cochlear implants. They do not see ahead unlike we knew the technology has tremendously improved than 20 years old.  It was right time at the right place for my kids. That is my 2 cents.

Fascinating. Never considered that the deaf community would consider implants infringing on their culture...

Not like other Marvel movies? Uh-oh. This is going to require at least three paragraphs on how this is required to mature the MCU, compared to Doctor Strange 2 where the character had to catch up with the conforming blueprint.

22 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I may have missed what you are talking about, what idea did she steal?

I am not sure why Jodie stole her former employee's idea.  The deaf former employee talked about her idea to use one character in Eternals to be a deaf character in the movie.  I believe that she didn't expect Jodie to take her idea to meet the executive producers immediately without asking her permission. They accepted Jodie's idea and eventually the cast was announced that one of the deaf actress (Lauren Ridoff) will be Makkari.  I am sure that she is upset that her idea was stolen. Jodie hasn't had any wrongdoings and keeps vague with her.  Now, she sued Jodie.  Her name is Antoinette Abbamonte and she is a deaf actress.  She missed to be part of it.

11 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I am not sure why Jodie stole her former employee's idea.  The deaf former employee talked about her idea to use one character in Eternals to be a deaf character in the movie.  I believe that she didn't expect Jodie to take her idea to meet the executive producers immediately without asking her permission. They accepted Jodie's idea and eventually the cast was announced that one of the deaf actress (Lauren Ridoff) will be Makkari.  I am sure that she is upset that her idea was stolen. Jodie hasn't had any wrongdoings and keeps vague with her.  Now, she sued Jodie.  Her name is Antoinette Abbamonte and she is a deaf actress.  She missed to be part of it.

Ehh, I think stolen is too strong a word for that scenario.  Based on how you presented the issue I'm sure that 95% the reason that they choose a deaf actress was because it came from Jolie.  Good idea's are cheap, implementation and execution of those good ideas into practice are whats hard.

Edited by Xenosmilus