• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DETECTIVE PIKACHU starring Ryan Reynolds (2019)

63 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, bleh said:

pokemon came out during my teenage years (31 now), and i still can't believe how popular it is now.. even with that pokemon go app.  i'll definitely watch it for nostalgic reasons.

I agree - I’m 38 so I just missed that but my younger brother had a small fortune in Pokémon cards 

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I had no idea I even wanted to see a movie like Detective Pikachu until now. Trailers accomplished their mission.

Maybe this will be that first really good video game movie that everyone has been waiting for?

image.jpeg.75746156e5047a9578a37f84160bc25c.jpeg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

:whatthe:

BOX OFFICE PRO: Long Range Tracking: Detective Pikachu Poised for May Breakout

Detective Pikachu 

Opening Weekend Range: $75 million+

PROS:

• The Pokémon brand is a cultural phenomenon around the globe, ranking among the top selling intellectual properties of the past two decades, most recently evidenced by the wildly popular Pokémon GO mobile game.
  • Social media activity since the film’s first trailer launch has been stellar, breaking our internal Twitter tracking record with 400,000+ mentions on the day of release.
  • Fresh off the blockbuster success of the Deadpool films, Ryan Reynolds’ voice presence behind this franchise’s most recognizable and popular character could further bolster appeal to the curious and uninitiated audiences.
  • 1999’s animated film, Pokémon: The First Movie, earned over $31 million on opening weekend and $85.7 million domestically — and that was before the now-multi-generational brand was well-known outside its core followers. To that end, a live action film has long been anticipated by its loyal and far-reaching fan base.
  • Opening in the third weekend of Avengers: Endgame and two weeks before Aladdin could give it enough breathing room for a pre-Memorial Day breakout, especially if the former of those two competitors delivers another ending too dark for parents with young kids.

CONS:

• While two weeks sandwiching this film between two major Disney titles should be enough, Endgame‘s third weekend could still prove formidable enough to cut into this film’s potential casual audience.
  • The brand’s popularity is undeniable, although there is acknowledgement that buzz could be heavily skewed by international audiences relative to most other franchise films.

Those trailers really paid off.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

Agree. This should now do at least 500 million worldwide. Looking at this link only Avengers: Endgame is tracking better! :whatthe:

Looks like Ryan Reynolds will be very busy with Deadpool and this now over the coming years.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agree. This should now do at least 500 million worldwide. Looking at this link only Avengers: Endgame is tracking better! :whatthe:

Looks like Ryan Reynolds will be very busy with Deadpool and this now over the coming years.

Especially with that greeting from Chris Hemsworth. :insane: