• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DETECTIVE PIKACHU starring Ryan Reynolds (2019)

63 posts in this topic

Poor Mendelson, WB's Head Fluffer (unofficial title). He must be dying inside; he's had to: acknowledge Lego 2 was a disaster, lowball Shazam production budget to try to spin that as something other than a BO disappointment, admit Godzilla 2 is flopping and stop stroking Pikachu and call it what it is- an expensive breakeven at best proposition.  Pennywise to the rescue.

Box Office: 'Pokemon: Detective Pikachu' Failed To Break The Video Game Movie Curse

12 hours ago, paperheart said:

Poor Mendelson, WB's Head Fluffer (unofficial title). He must be dying inside; he's had to: acknowledge Lego 2 was a disaster, lowball Shazam production budget to try to spin that as something other than a BO disappointment, admit Godzilla 2 is flopping and stop stroking Pikachu and call it what it is- an expensive breakeven at best proposition.  Pennywise to the rescue.

Box Office: 'Pokemon: Detective Pikachu' Failed To Break The Video Game Movie Curse

I don't have any particular stakes in how WB does but they won't have to wait that long, the next Conjuring Universe movie is coming out this month and those have been dirt cheap cash cows. Pokemon  did well enough if you are Pokemon and neither a win or loss if your the studio though you would have liked to see another 100 million out of it (I do think it will be STRONG in the DVD/stream market). If I were WB I'd rather have the  distribution rights then not, it's the most profitable franchise in the world and I'd rather takes some more cracks at it than let it fall somewhere else who may crack the code, especially when they have very little in their lost Harry Potter demo.