• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showtime's PENNY DREADFUL: CITY OF ANGELS (2020)

16 posts in this topic

For anyone that was a fan of the original show.

A spiritual descendant of the story set in Victorian-era London, the next chapter will employ a new vision, new characters and storylines. It opens in 1938 Los Angeles; a time and place deeply infused with social and political tension. When a grisly murder shocks the city, Detective Tiago Vega (Zovatto) is embroiled in an epic story that reflects the rich history of Los Angeles: from the building of the city’s first freeways and its deep traditions of Mexican-American folklore, to the dangerous espionage actions of the Third Reich and the rise of radio evangelism. Before long, Tiago and his family are grappling with powerful forces that threaten to tear them apart.

Lane will play Lewis Michener. A veteran officer in the LAPD, wise to the ways of the world and ruthless in pursuit of his goals, Lewis becomes the partner and mentor of young Tiago Vega (Zovatto). The cast also includes series regulars Jessica Garza and Johnathan Nieves.

Dormer, whose credits also include Showtime’s The Tudors, CBS’ Elementary and Netflix’s forthcoming Dark Crystal sequel series, will play Magda, a supernatural demon who can take the appearance of anyone she chooses and manifests in a number of guises throughout the story. Charismatic, clever and chameleonic, Magda is a dangerous enemy and an invaluable ally.

Edited by Bosco685

1 minute ago, I like pie said:

Still so disappointed on how the show ended. Won't be watching this one:sumo:

It was a bummer how it just felt like it dropped off a cliff. Hopefully this ends up being a larger success, and tempts you back. :foryou:

I enjoyed the first couple of episodes I have watched so far. Though it doesn't have the legendary monsters spirit of the first show so far. More a spiritual and religious influence.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I had a very hard time finding any connection with this version of Penny Dreadful.

Absolutely - there wasn't any. In fact, there was very little supernatural element to the whole thing. 

I think it was confused about what it wanted to be and just threw the Penny Dreadful name in to attract viewers. I only kept watching because the locations were fantastic and Nathan Lane and Natalie Dormer were great.