• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, namisgr said:

TOS39 saw a significant price jump between 2017 and 2018.  Why should it jump again in price?

Who can say? Maybe something to do with the RDJ's swan song (?) in the Avengers movies.  Prices on the book have been setting records the last couple months, particularly in low/mid grades where the majority of collectors like to play.

-J.

I would have to agree with Jay on this one. Just this month, a CGC 4.0 sold for $7350 by a reputable dealer!! A record for this grade!  Also saw a raw copy on Ebay sold for $5100, seller graded as a "VG", looks more like a GD/VG due to top staple detachment, stains, spine split bottom, etc.

I would also put X-Men 1 too! 

Edited by Dark Knight

On 2/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, Jaydogrules said:

A few years ago it was Hulk 1 then SC 4 then AF 15, last year was FF 1 and X men 1.

Early signs pointing to Tales of Suspense 39 this year. hm

-J.

:banana:

18 minutes ago, zosocane said:

What about any marvel SA key (top 10 book) that is Stan Lee SS?  Before his passing a Lee SS brought a 10%, maybe 15% premium.  Now, we’re seeing massive premiums on Lee SS Keys — 30% or more.

It would be pretty tough for me to sell my ASM 1 that he signed.

10 hours ago, zosocane said:

What about any marvel SA key (top 10 book) that is Stan Lee SS?  Before his passing a Lee SS brought a 10%, maybe 15% premium.  Now, we’re seeing massive premiums on Lee SS Keys — 30% or more.

When I was looking for a relatively inexpensive AF15 recently I was convinced that the new premium for Lee SS was dragging up the prices of unsigned copies too.  With all of the Lee signature books going for really high premiums the supply of copies of any grade in my price range (and that of other value buyers) seemed a lot smaller than it used to be.

My money for this year is on FF1.  When I thought I would never find an AF15, FF1 was the only other Marvel book that I could convince myself would come close to scratching that itch, and I would not be surprised if others feel the same.

2 hours ago, Foosman said:

When I was looking for a relatively inexpensive AF15 recently I was convinced that the new premium for Lee SS was dragging up the prices of unsigned copies too.  With all of the Lee signature books going for really high premiums the supply of copies of any grade in my price range (and that of other value buyers) seemed a lot smaller than it used to be.

My money for this year is on FF1.  When I thought I would never find an AF15, FF1 was the only other Marvel book that I could convince myself would come close to scratching that itch, and I would not be surprised if others feel the same.

FF 1 had a great summer but seems to have stabilized for now.

I'm sticking with ToS #39 for now.

Avengers 1 is looking strong early this year too though.  

-J.

What is everyone considering a silver age MEGA key to be?  I would think it would be a top 10 Silver Age book - which in my mind includes the following:

• AF15
  • SC4
  • FF1
  • Hulk 1
  • BB28
  • X-Men 1
  • TOS39
  • JIM83
  • SC22
  • ASM1

And I think if it was expanded the next few books would be Avengers 1, TTA 27, Daredevil 1, Avengers 4, and Strange Tales 110.  So if we expand outside the top 10 then I think AV1 and AV4 could also see big gains this year - I especially think AV4 is undervalued relative to its peers but that may be due to relative availability???

16 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

What is everyone considering a silver age MEGA key to be?  I would think it would be a top 10 Silver Age book - which in my mind includes the following:

• AF15
  • SC4
  • FF1
  • Hulk 1
  • BB28
  • X-Men 1
  • TOS39
  • JIM83
  • SC22
  • ASM1

And I think if it was expanded the next few books would be Avengers 1, TTA 27, Daredevil 1, Avengers 4, and Strange Tales 110.  So if we expand outside the top 10 then I think AV1 and AV4 could also see big gains this year - I especially think AV4 is undervalued relative to its peers but that may be due to relative availability???

I would kick BB 28 off that list (I know, DC is sorely under represented as it is) and put Avengers 1 on there now.

-J.

It's that middle group of keys that inspires the most debate: BB28, ASM1, XM1,TOS39, and JIM83.  

Whether this year or shortly thereafter, I think TOS 39 is going to take off even more than it has recently.  

I'm hoping that the lower tier of keys heats up.  Books like TTA 35 and 44, Strange Tales 101 and 107......

I also agree TOS 39 is poised to "take the next step" as Iron man is certainly the center piece of the Marvel movie universe.  

I'd also agree with the Avengers 1 and 4 books being good candidates to see steady growth for some time as the Avengers are such a household name and that's not changing anytime soon IMO.

The comparison of the Fantastic Four being the original Marvel series and the title that most Silver age readers fell in love with as kids can be made to the Avengers being the first love of a whole new generation who are learning to love the Marvel universe through these movies.

Concerning books surging based on the MCU, I'd say the xmen are the furthest ways off. With 20 years of lots of xmen movies and two more getting released i believe Feige will want to introduce them last. I'd bet on the Quantum realm introducing the FF in a possible time travel tale being first. That means first appearances of Doom the surfer and Galactus which are already incredibly expensive will probably only get more so.  Black widow and the Eternals are getting their own movie. Feige seems to want to explore the weirder corners of the marvel universe before he gets to the big players like FF and Xmen.  Wolverine would be my guess as the first xman introduced (would be cool if it was in a solo hulk movie) .

My money is on FF 5 which is crazy hard to buy even at .5 grade will be the one to have if Feige really nails him, he has the potential to be a darth vader level villain and so far on screen they have completely blown it, but that could change.

7 hours ago, ORRGO THE UNCONQUERABLE said:

Concerning books surging based on the MCU, I'd say the xmen are the furthest ways off. With 20 years of lots of xmen movies and two more getting released i believe Feige will want to introduce them last. I'd bet on the Quantum realm introducing the FF in a possible time travel tale being first. That means first appearances of Doom the surfer and Galactus which are already incredibly expensive will probably only get more so.  Black widow and the Eternals are getting their own movie. Feige seems to want to explore the weirder corners of the marvel universe before he gets to the big players like FF and Xmen.  Wolverine would be my guess as the first xman introduced (would be cool if it was in a solo hulk movie) .

My money is on FF 5 which is crazy hard to buy even at .5 grade will be the one to have if Feige really nails him, he has the potential to be a darth vader level villain and so far on screen they have completely blown it, but that could change.

That would be astronomically huge for Doom if he can get the same level of recognition, and I like it!  If it goes that way, he could be even bigger than Thanos.