• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MadJimJaspers said:

Holy run on!

Marvel never sold merchandising rights to characters only movie rights. The amount of money they would have to pay to utilize a character in a movie they don't own is pocket change compared to the money they make selling t-shirts and toys. If you think Marvel is afraid of copying DC, where have you been for the last 60 years?

Yeah agreed, I think Marvel saw how big Aquaman and his Atlantis story movie made a billion, so they want to see if a Namor Atlantis movie can top it just like how Wonder Woman was a big hit with now Captain Marvel beating WW at the box office.

A couple of things make me think a Namor movie appearance is coming quick because Marvel has a Bill Everett golden age Sub-Mariner omnibus and a John Byrne Namor omnibus both scheduled for the next year. They usually only give characters the omnibus treatment if some movie/tv appearance is coming.

So FF#4 and Sub-Mariner #1 could both get interesting.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

6 hours ago, MadJimJaspers said:

His character fits perfectly as a polar opposite to black panther. The parallels between Atlantis and Wakanda on opposite sides of the spectrum makes him a perfect fit.

Not to mention the current political connections of multiculturalism and nationalism.

Agreed. I also could see a eco friendly environment vibe with Namor. The character has a lot of potential with modern audiences.

24 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yeah agreed, I think Marvel saw how big Aquaman and his Atlantis story movie made a billion, so they want to see if a Namor Atlantis movie can top it just like how Wonder Woman was a big hit with now Captain Marvel beating WW at the box office.

A couple of things make me think a Namor movie appearance is coming quick because Marvel has a Bill Everett golden age Sub-Mariner omnibus and a John Byrne Namor omnibus both scheduled for the next year. They usually only give characters the omnibus treatment if some movie/tv appearance is coming.

So FF#4 and Sub-Mariner #1 could both get interesting.

Yes, check out marvel solicitations these last few months and Namor is everywhere. Disney's silence on the issue just points me in this direction further. I think the complication with the character rights came from his origin as a mutant, but that's just me speculating.

14 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agreed. I also could see a eco friendly environment vibe with Namor. The character has a lot of potential with modern audiences.

Yes! I think he has WAY more than aquaman ever had. He's an anti-hero who would start as a sympathetic villain. I don't know about anyone else's opinion here, but sympathetic villains never do very well in the superhero movie genre...lol

Edited by MadJimJaspers

The success of Namor would depend on who they cast to play the character. Mamoa was a great fit as Aquaman. Not sure who they could cast that would be the same for Namor. 

On 3/10/2019 at 1:13 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I agree with this, but is it the one that will happen this year, or be "the next" one?

I don't really think so... hm

-J.

$9k for a 6.0

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/showcase-22-green-lantern-dc-1959-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/121991-18222.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 3/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, Bronx said:

I believe Avengers 1 is the biggest bargain key out there and is poised for tremendous growth.  

This. And that's why I just got one. Plus I love hulk iron man thor and antman but can't afford their 1st appearances so I just got this one book to cover them all in one shot. Plus with Endgame coming who doesn't want an avengers 1?

55 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I've noticed this book picking up steam. Why?

opinion: overlooked (except by Cal!) for awhile.

People notice it again & say, "Hey - this is a bargain & is just as old/cool as Subby #1 and Iron Man #1"

I really enjoy the book. It's an oddity. Has a nice cover too!

On 5/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, Xatari said:

Seems the winner on the past few months has been Mutants everywhere. X-Men 1 and Giant Size X-Men 1 are seeing huge gains. Dang. 

And they will keep on chugging this year, if not a bit further, due to the movie speculation and also the lower valuation they are starting from. I was hoping to have another year on both X-Men 1 and GSX 1 to accumulate more copies. :frustrated:

TOS 39 will likely plateau for the near to medium term based on the result of Endgame and uncertainty re: RDJ as Tony Stark moving forward. He is not getting any younger......

5 hours ago, kimik said:

And they will keep on chugging this year, if not a bit further, due to the movie speculation and also the lower valuation they are starting from. I was hoping to have another year on both X-Men 1 and GSX 1 to accumulate more copies. :frustrated:

TOS 39 will likely plateau for the near to medium term based on the result of Endgame and uncertainty re: RDJ as Tony Stark moving forward. He is not getting any younger......

Do you think that TOS 39 is mostly tied to movie speculation?

Definitely. A long time ago, before RDJ and the first Iron Man film, it was not a fast seller. The success of the movies played a huge role in running up TOS 39 prices. I can remember a time in the early 00s when I could sell an Avengers 1 faster than TOS 39, and due to the Fox and Sony movies, AF 15/ASM 1, FF 1 and X-Men 1 were easier to sell and at higher prices. If you look at CGC 6.0 prices on GPA, it was not until the first Avengers film in 2012 that TOS 39 jumped ahead of X-Men 1, and from 2009 - 2011 it was basically on par with Avengers 1. Take away RDJ as Iron Man on the big screen and TOS 39 would not have run up like it did. 

Edited by kimik