• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2019 at 1:35 PM, KirbyJack said:

I’d be surprised as well. It would have to take out books like TTA27, BB28, Sho 22, or Avengers 1. 

But I’ve got a FF52, so let it happen!

I definitely could see it overtaking TTA27, BB28,and Sho 22. I say it happens about the time the Black Panther 2 movie comes out. There will be another Black Panther movie long before Ant-Man, JLA or Green Lantern get another movie. Wouldn't surprise me if a Black Panther 3 movie comes before Ant-Man, JLA or Green Lantern get another movie.

CC

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

39 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I definitely could see it overtaking TTA27, BB28,and Sho 22. I say it happens about the time the Black Panther 2 movie comes out. There will be another Black Panther movie long before Ant-Man, JLA or Green Lantern get another movie. Wouldn't surprise me if a Black Panther 3 movie comes before Ant-Man, JLA or Green Lantern get another movie.

CC

FF #52 will rise much more slowly now that the big jump has happened, just like pretty much every other key that has had its initial movie run up. I can't see it overtaking any of the books you mentioned price/value wise, but definitely in sales volume. Despite what happens on the silver screen, BP is still a secondary property in the eyes of comic collectors who drive the prices. 

Edited by kimik

31 minutes ago, kimik said:

definitely in sales volume

That definitely is a factor. I see this all the time with ASM #300,Hulk #181 and NM #98. Their volume is off the charts on eBay compared to a lot of keys we have been told that are hot but don't sell like them in volume. I see TTA27, BB28,and Sho 22 becoming those slow sellers with no movies expected for those characters for at least 5 years.

FF#52 will continue to be in demand because at least two Black Panther movies are coming.

15 minutes ago, kimik said:

BP is still a secondary property in the eyes of comic collectors who drive the prices.

I think after one more blockbuster Black Panther movie most people will agree BP is a major character. I remember people debating me a few years ago trying to say Iron Man was a secondary property until his second movie became another blockbuster.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:05 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

FF#52

Will become top 10 silver age key by the time Black Panther 2 comes out.

Strong rumor he will be new leader of Avengers in next movie now

Reveal hidden contents

that Cap, Thor and Iron Man are gone.

7851-2045-8666-1-fantastic-four.jpg

i have read that there was a warehouse find of this issue , but that was long ago and the market has obviously absorbed them !! also with the black cover it is tough in high grade ... 

14 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i have read that there was a warehouse find of this issue , but that was long ago and the market has obviously absorbed them !! also with the black cover it is tough in high grade ... 

Yes, good point about the cover.

Also as I said before FF# 52 is the Jackie Robinson rookie card of comic books.

It will always be in demand. Jack Kirby and Stan Lee were way ahead of their time.

For a historical perspective comparing the first appearance of Ant-Man to first appearance of Black Panther is suspect.

If people follow the baseball card market they will find the Jackie Robinson cards are on fire because of a historical perspective.

24 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think after one more blockbuster Black Panther movie most people will agree BP is a major character. I remember people debating me a few years ago trying to say Iron Man was a secondary property until his second movie became another blockbuster.

The problem is, BP is not considered a big key buy enough collector to run the price up. It is also readily available, unlike other keys. Even when the BP movie was coming/out, I had more requests for FF #48 at shows. The issue for the FF #52 is that it is readily available and most collectors willing to spend big $$$ chase FF #1, #5 (and now #4, I guess), #12, and #48 instead.

Iron Man will drop back to a secondary character now that RDJ is likely done. Don't underestimate his impact on the popularity of the character. Replace him with a less suitable actor for the role and you have Captain America or Thor box office results. Marvel struck rhodium (most valuable precious metal currently) with that casting decision and it paved the way for the success of the entire Phase 1.

Edited by kimik

8 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

well ASM #300, HULK #181 and NM #98 are even more readily available and that hasn't stopped their historic price growth. Sometimes demand is more important than supply.

ASM #300 and NM #98 are not exactly running up any further, and Hulk #181 is different case since it is the AF #15 of the BA.

Edited by kimik

5 minutes ago, kimik said:

ASM #300 and NM #98 are not exactly running up any further, and Hulk #181 is different case since it is the AF #15 of the BA.

Good points and I respect them, but I will stick by my statement FF #52 will become a top ten Silver age key by the time the Black Panther 2 movie hits.

If I am wrong please feel free to remind me. lol.

CC

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good points and I respect them, but I will stick by my statement FF #52 will become a top ten Silver age key by the time the Black Panther 2 movie hits.

If I am wrong please feel free to remind me. lol.

CC

it is actually and advantage to have many copies of a key book available because in order for a comic to become really popular , there has to be demand ... and supply,,,

On 8/14/2019 at 7:25 PM, Jaydogrules said:

If things keep going like this, FF 48 may end up being the biggest winner on the year after all. 

-J.

:wishluck:

What would a CGC 9.4 W fetch now? 

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would never sell that book.  (worship)

-J.

Buying it in January for a then GPA high was one of my better moves this year. Passing on a trade of my CGC 7.0 Hawkman #4 and CGC 8.5 ASM #129 for a CGC 8.0 or CGC 8.5 FF #48 last April at the Calgary Expo was not. lol