• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, paul747 said:

Low grade? Sold because you don't like them or think of them as an investment ?

Various grades. If I can get a comic at a bargain I get it no matter what it is and what the grade is. Some I like, some I don't. I like doom and silver surfer, dont like the fantastic four. Dont dislike them, just seen a stretchy guy and invincible woman before. Have early ppearances of torch. Thing I am not a fan. The x-MEN aren't original either yet I love them so go figure. I like the newer ones better but still like xmen 1.

9 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

It will be fine in 9.0 and higher. As for the lower grades in my opinion they will move up in value most years but I have no idea of the percentage. It is healthier for the hobby if key books move up slow and steady than one big wave.

Most key SA books will do just fine long term. Like I said I just hope it is at a healthy rate not bug waves here and there.

Waves will keep coming. I used to just collect comics. Now I treat it like the stock market. Actually enjoy the new way better. Can collect and make profits doing it. 

On 5/13/2020 at 8:32 PM, Jordysnordy said:

I’m still waiting for ASM 14 to catch/surpass ASM 3.

Sure 3 is an “earlier” issue, but GG has more overall importance in the Marvel Universe.

14 has closed the gap in recent years - maybe this will be the year it surpasses 3.

I just got a low grade 14 off Heritage.  It went for lower than I expected.  I hope it does see growth this year.  

I mainly spent 2020 building up my GA collection due to the run up on nearly all the SA keys. I was planning on grabbing some extra copies of a few books and some I did not have but 2020 seemed to have an influx of gains on anything remotely close to a key. 

15 minutes ago, PKJ said:

I mainly spent 2020 building up my GA collection due to the run up on nearly all the SA keys. I was planning on grabbing some extra copies of a few books and some I did not have but 2020 seemed to have an influx of gains on anything remotely close to a key. 

I agree with this.

There are a few SA keys I fear are going to be out of reach for me soon.  Part of me is tempted to go after them before they become a distant memory. 

But like you, I've been really looking to GA.   It just seems to be a steadier market and I really enjoy owning those books. 

Just now, KCOComics said:

I agree with this.

There are a few SA keys I fear are going to be out of reach for me soon.  Part of me is tempted to go after them before they become a distant memory. 

But like you, I've been really looking to GA.   It just seems to be a steadier market and I really enjoy owning those books. 

I'm not sure one could exactly call any key or classic cover GA book a bargain at this point.  For the GA books I want to add to my collection (unrestored lower mid grade classic covers such as Phantom Lady 17, Startling 49, etc.) prices have long been in the same stratosphere as the Marvel SA Keys.

After I complete payments on my XM1, my options are either purchasing mostly BA keys or upgrading books already in my collection. 

I admit that I'm having a bit of sticker shock these days.  I've been selling books in my collection to help lessen the impact of buying 4 figure books.  The problem is I don't have much in the way of drek anymore.  Every book sent to auction hurts (sigh).  I guess I could start buying only one book per year...

2 hours ago, piper said:

I'm not sure one could exactly call any key or classic cover GA book a bargain at this point.  For the GA books I want to add to my collection (unrestored lower mid grade classic covers such as Phantom Lady 17, Startling 49, etc.) prices have long been in the same stratosphere as the Marvel SA Keys.

After I complete payments on my XM1, my options are either purchasing mostly BA keys or upgrading books already in my collection. 

I admit that I'm having a bit of sticker shock these days.  I've been selling books in my collection to help lessen the impact of buying 4 figure books.  The problem is I don't have much in the way of drek anymore.  Every book sent to auction hurts (sigh).  I guess I could start buying only one book per year...

Agreed - GA keys and classic covers aren't cheap.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of movement in WWII books and the PCH market seems to have cooled a bit,  so there is opportunity to pick up some cool stuff there. 

And yeah,  I'm in the same boat. I've sold way more in the last year then I feel comfortable with. 

That's why I think there is one big SA I'm going to try to act on, then I'm going to focus in other places. 

I've been buying high grade BA DC horror the last year and I really enjoy that. Still affordable,  great covers,  cool stories. It's not a bad alternative when every SA book I want is suddenly 4 and 5 figures. 

Edited by KCOComics

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Agreed - GA keys and classic covers aren't cheap.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of movement in WWII books or the PCH market seems to have cold a bit,  so there is opportunity to pick up some cool stuff there. 

And yeah,  I'm in the same boat. I've sold way more in the last year then I feel comfortable with. 

That's why I think there is one big SA I'm going to try to act on, then I'm going to focus in other places. 

I've been buying high grade BA DC horror the last year and I really enjoy that. Still affordable,  great covers,  cool stories. It's not a bad alternative when every SA book I want is suddenly 4 and 5 figures. 

I collect WWII covers, Okajima,War Bonds etc and was able to add several this year due to dips in prices.

I will put my vote in for  Daredevil 1. With everything else climbing it has room this year.

15 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Curious what everyone thinks the future may hold for ASM1. I am selling off the majority of my collection over the next few years and it'll be one to go but not sure if I'll sell it sooner than later. 

I'd wait.  Many people have been priced out on AF15's.

15 hours ago, piper said:

I'd wait.  Many people have been priced out on AF15's.

I agree 100% It's the Batman #1 to the Tec #27.

I know a lot of (non hardcore) comic collectors where this book is top of their want list...they know AF15 is the first Spidey, but are under the impression it's way out of their league and see the ASM #1 as a feasible alternative and there is always something alluring about a number 1 issue of course.

18 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

It can't stay like this it's the #2 book it will come back in force. The only other top SA hero that may one day pass him in my opinion is Thor. That is just maybe. Not Iron Man, Antman, Supergirl and so on they will never pass Hulk.

I just don't like the Hulk, sorry. So was never attached to my IH#1 ..................

GRRR!  Hulk #1 might be due to explode, based on today's HA sale of blue 7.0 for $52,800?  $43,200 was the high in July.  A bump was long overdue as some suggested, and Hulk remained popular in MCU.  Going forward, Disney doesn't even own full rights to Hulk yet, and we see what is going on with X-Men and FF.  

11 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

GRRR!  Hulk #1 might be due to explode, based on today's HA sale of blue 7.0 for $52,800?  $43,200 was the high in July.  A bump was long overdue as some suggested, and Hulk remained popular in MCU.  Going forward, Disney doesn't even own full rights to Hulk yet, and we see what is going on with X-Men and FF.  

Pretty much everything exploded in today's HA auction.

-bc