• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

FF 5 Baby. No reason aside form it being the SA key I have been rooting for all my life.

Doom is the main antagonist in the Marvel Universe (I will die on this hill!) and I am sure Feige knows this. They won't mess it up. If it's not this year, it will be next year, or the one after. But trust me DOOM is coming for all!

Edited by William-James88

9 hours ago, William-James88 said:

FF 5 Baby. No reason aside form it being the SA key I have been rooting for all my life.

Doom is the main antagonist in the Marvel Universe (I will die on this hill!) and I am sure Feige knows this. They won't it up. If it's not this year, it will be next year, or the one after. But trust me DOOM is coming for all!

Do you think it would have an impact on ASM 5 too? His first appearance outside of FF...

1 hour ago, RickSp said:

Do you think it would have an impact on ASM 5 too? His first appearance outside of FF...

I don't and I'll tell you why, it's become apparent to me in the past 2 years that it's first appearance of bust. While first appearances has risen in value in the past 10 years, second appearances and early appearances have dropped (like Brave and the Bold 29). It's like all the money is being divested from non keys and into keys. I'm not even sure FF Annual 2 would go up even if it's Doom's Origin.

Edited by William-James88

14 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Zatanna :x

Rumoured to be in Bad Robot's Justice League Dark show, not to mention she was included in Del Toro's JLD film --script too ~ Additionally, Hawkman #4 is still relatively affordable ~

I know, I bought it this year. Here are the "affordable SA keys" I made sure to get this year before it might be too late:

X-Men 14

Silver Surfer 3

Detective Comics 359
Hawkman 4
Captain Atom 83

8 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Is Detective Comics #225 considered a GA key or SA key? Because if it counts as SA, then that's once DC book that could go way up this year (2021)

I guess technically Atomic Age, since it is pre-Showcase 4 (although J'onn J'onzz's affiliation is Silver Age)

BTW, it looks like Heritage will be auctioning off an 8.0 Tec 225 in the April auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-225-dc-1955-cgc-vf-80-off-white-pages/p/7242-74002.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

I don't and I'll tell you why, it's become apparent to me in the past 2 years that it's first appearance of bust. While first appearances has risen in value in the past 10 years, second appearances and early appearances have dropped (like Brave and the Bold 29). It's like all the money is being divested from non keys and into keys. I'm not even sure FF Annual 2 would go up even if it's Doom's Origin.

I completely agree with this statement.  When I first started collecting a few years ago, I went and got some undervalued minor keys, like origins and 2nd appearances.  For example, I was excited when I had ASM 86, origin of black widow and then a MCU movie announcement!  Yay I thought!  Months and months went by and my ASM 86 listing didnt sell until finally somebody picked it up.  The value barely even nudged.  Same is happening with my Daredevil 2.  DD1 is going bonkers currently, and DD2 making small gains if any.  

Nowadays it seems like all the money is in keys.  There might be some value in minor keys, but its not much compared to the rate of value increase of first appearances.  There is the saying a rising tide lifts all boats, but I think its more like the 1st app key is on top of the wave and all others are merely in its wake.  

Edited by Bluemedgroup

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

I guess technically Atomic Age, since it is pre-Showcase 4 (although J'onn J'onzz's affiliation is Silver Age)

BTW, it looks like Heritage will be auctioning off an 8.0 Tec 225 in the April auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-225-dc-1955-cgc-vf-80-off-white-pages/p/7242-74002.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Wow, and not even a Pennyworth book (apparently). I've always considered it a Silver Age book myself.

I also agree Doom could be ( should be) huge. I used to buy that book (FF5) any time I could find it under 1K regardless of grade. It hardly moved for a while so it was tough to trade the lower grade ones up to a better one.  Always wanted a 7.0 but will have to hold with what I have.

3 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Wow, and not even a Pennyworth book (apparently).

The Pennyworth copy was in this past November's Heritage auction and, surprisingly, was only a mid-grade copy (5.0). It sold for $4,080:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #225 (DC, 1955) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

23 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

The Pennyworth copy was in this past November's Heritage auction and, surprisingly, was only a mid-grade copy (5.0). It sold for $4,080:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Detective Comics #225 (DC, 1955) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white to white pages....

That is interesting--maybe a comment on the rarity of the book, or its prices? That's an interesting outlier.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:37 PM, unmovedmover said:

I just got a low grade 14 off Heritage.  It went for lower than I expected.  I hope it does see growth this year.  

ASM3 has pulled way far ahead of 14 this year it seems

5 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I completely agree with this statement.  When I first started collecting a few years ago, I went and got some undervalued minor keys, like origins and 2nd appearances.  For example, I was excited when I had ASM 86, origin of black widow and then a MCU movie announcement!  Yay I thought!  Months and months went by and my ASM 86 listing didnt sell until finally somebody picked it up.  The value barely even nudged.  Same is happening with my Daredevil 2.  DD1 is going bonkers currently, and DD2 making small gains if any.  

Nowadays it seems like all the money is in keys.  There might be some value in minor keys, but its not much compared to the rate of value increase of first appearances.  There is the saying a rising tide lifts all boats, but I think its more like the 1st app key is on top of the wave and all others are merely in its wake.  

It certainly makes sure the keys stay special. However I fear my opportunities to try and complete a run of early ASM issues are dwindling as fast as those prices are soaring. Owning more than a few keys would mean having to sell the rest of the collection to fund them!

1 hour ago, RickSp said:

It certainly makes sure the keys stay special. However I fear my opportunities to try and complete a run of early ASM issues are dwindling as fast as those prices are soaring. Owning more than a few keys would mean having to sell the rest of the collection to fund them!

Yeah, the run collectors like us are the ones getting the shaft a little.  The landmines in our want lists are getting bigger.

Tomb or Dracula, for instance, looks like a cool series to collect, but I'm not even gonna start with that whale in there.

8 hours ago, RickSp said:

I agree, I've been working on completing early runs of all the major marvel SA characters. I've been add it for years so luckily I got some books before they really blew up. 

Anyway, Spidey got so expensive, I sold what I had and put the $$ into other books.  It's disappointing to have a marvel SA collection where the corner stone character is so under represented.