• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Which SA Mega Key Will Surge This Year?
4 4

455 posts in this topic

Hmm, not really.  The presumptive hot SA book going into today HA auction was X-Men #1.  The X-Men #1 cgc 8.5 OW sold on HA today for $50,400, just a bit below the $51000 it fetched (per GPA) in December.   Relatively speaking, this bodes well for IH#1.  But it's just one data point (although a prominent one).  Even if the explosion could await complete return of Hulk to Disney, it appears that IH#1 could at least be making up some lost ground this year.  

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, Pantodude said:

Hmm, not really.  The presumptive hot SA book going into today HA auction was X-Men #1.  The X-Men #1 cgc 8.5 OW sold on HA today for $50,400, just a bit below the $51000 it fetched (per GPA) in December.   Relatively speaking, this bodes well for IH#1.  But it's just one data point (although a prominent one).  Even if the explosion could await complete return of Hulk to Disney, it appears that IH#1 could at least be making up some lost ground this year.  

Agree on the HA result with all the talk I expected it to be higher.

In rarity Hulk 1 will be much harder to come by than Xmen 1. Seems like folks are holding X-Men 1 waiting for the big pop, I have been trying to buy a copy since the summer and the few showing up are getting snatched up quickly. I personally like the X-Men over Hulk but if each were available at this point I probably would grab the Hulk as it has been flat for a while.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the AF15 cgc 5.5 C/OW that went for $72K today at HA.  The 90-day was 40,650 (2 books) and most recent was 40,500 in December (per GPA).  That was an increase of $31,500 or roughly 75%!   Suggests a surge or at least that the cooling-off period we saw in 2020 for that book is over?  Just realized that book included unverified comments/signatures by a "Steve Ditko" and "Stan Lee" on splash page!   But still, that was a very strong price for non-SS 5.5? 

Edited by Pantodude

12 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

I'm surprised no one is talking about the AF15 cgc 5.5 C/OW that went for $72K today at HA.  The 90-day was 40,650 (2 books) and most recent was 40,500 in December (per GPA).  That was an increase of $31,500 or roughly 75%!   Suggests a surge or at least that the cooling-off period we saw in 2020 for that book is over?  

It was signed by Stan and someone else I can’t remember if it was Kirby or Ditko.

6 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

It was signed by Stan and someone else I can’t remember if it was Kirby or Ditko.

Right.  I had just edited my post to add that it included comments/signatures by a "Steve Ditko" and "Stan Lee" on splash page.  But it was not an SS book, and apparently would have been a strong price even for an SS book.  

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Yeah I’m surprised the x-men 1 9.0 only went for $78k.  Gocollect has the FMV for 9.0 at $86k.  I know y’all mentioned it didn’t look that great compared to the 8.5, but value wise in a year or two I think someone got a steal!  

D6F32763-A011-4779-B24E-C27A236D45BD.png

4 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Yeah I’m surprised the x-men 1 9.0 only went for $78k.  Gocollect has the FMV for 9.0 at $86k.  I know y’all mentioned it didn’t look that great compared to the 8.5, but value wise in a year or two I think someone got a steal!  

D6F32763-A011-4779-B24E-C27A236D45BD.png

i just dont see who is going to pay top dollar for a 9.0 that looks like a 6.5. this was quite reasonable. when a sweet looking 9.0 comes up for auction, i expect it to do much better than this. 

1 hour ago, Bluemedgroup said:

So what do you think of mine 9.2 then?  Did I do good for the grade?  Very white cover, deep reds in the X-men title, no marvel chipping.  I emptied out my bank account for this, hoping I made the right choice. 

CEDEC6B8-92FA-48F2-BE93-4C3D4742D816.jpeg

holey moley, yes that's a stunning copy! you should do quite well with it, if you hold it long enough. that 9.0 is all toned and dull, but your book is, as you would hope for a high grade, bright and colorful. well done!

3 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

So what do you think of mine 9.2 then?  Did I do good for the grade?  Very white cover, deep reds in the X-men title, no marvel chipping.  I emptied out my bank account for this, hoping I made the right choice. 

This should do very well in the long term.  Definitely the definition of a blue chip collectible investment!

On 1/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

WHOA!! That is something else. Colors look amazing. I would pretty much do anything to possess that comic. 

12 minutes ago, Summydad1 said:

WHOA!! That is something else. Colors look amazing. I would pretty much do anything to possess that comic. 

Sounds like a deal with Mephisto is coming up...

12 minutes ago, piper said:

Sounds like a deal with Mephisto is coming up...

Ha! Maybe I went a little too far. I just got really excited looking at the book. Take away anything devil-ish or jeopardizing the well-being of my wife and kids..... After those, then yes I would probably do it. Haha.