Is there a market for Western comics any more?
4 4

352 posts in this topic

I bought a small collection of about 30 GA western comics.  I would normally run the other way but these are all stunningly high grade for early '50s comics. I'm sure with a press that every single one of these could grade out 9.0 and higher.  There's no key-issues (is there such a thing as a western key issue?).

I feel like I got a pretty good price (about $20 each), but now I'm pondering if I should do the full press and slab for all of them.  That would add at least another $35-$40 for each comic in my cost.  

Any ideas?

Is there still enough of a market to invest more $ into slabbing these?

Edited by gadzukes
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am not sure you gave enough info on the specific issues, at least not for me to give an opinion. (shrug)

Everything 9.0 or higher

Dell Lone Ranger 39 40 48 49 52 

Red Ryder 92 93 107 109 

Durango Kid 2

Black Diamond 11 & 16

Cowboy Western 24 & 25

Western Hero 81 84 85 86 87 88

Western Fighters v2 1 & v2 5

Gene Autry 69

Prize Western 78

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I bought a small collection of about 30 GA western comics.  I would normally run the other way but these are all stunningly high grade for early '50s comics. I'm sure with a press that every single one of these could grade out 9.0 and higher.  There's no key-issues (is there such a thing as a western key issue?).

I feel like I got a pretty good price (about $20 each), but now I'm pondering if I should do the full press and slab for all of them.  That would add at least another $35-$40 for each comic in my cost.  

Any ideas?

Is there still enough of a market to invest more $ into slabbing these?

If they are photo cover Fawcett, DC or Dell type westerns (Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hopalong, Jimmy Wakely etc.) I don't think you would gain enough from a press and slab to make it worthwhile. I think it would be worthwhile if they are non-photo cover westerns from publishers like Atlas, DC, ME, Ajax, Hillman etc. (anything other than Black Diamond Western from Lev Gleason - I can't remember the last time I sold one of those)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Everything 9.0 or higher

Dell Lone Ranger 39 40 48 49 52

Red Ryder 92 93 107 109

Durango Kid 2

Black Diamond 11 & 16

Cowboy Western 24 & 25

Western Hero 81 84 85 86 87 88

Western Fighters v2 1 & v2 5

Gene Autry 69

Prize Western 78

 

Sell them raw

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bird said:

maybe send a few in and test the waters.

I might do this on a couple.  I'm in no rush.  I'll get the best looking 3, give em a press, and send them in.

(of course, even if they get 9.2s or 9.4s I still have to sell them)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gadzukes said:

They have slight pressable flaws, do you think I should press them?  

I really don't think the increase in grade will cover the price of the press. And besides, most of the folks who would be interested in those books are older, don't like pressing and prefer to buy books raw to read them. You can probably get just as much for them without having to invest any additional money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Richard is on the money as always.

I don't buy high grade but I buy westerns and those on your list are simply not westerns that I'd (or anyone) would pay up for.

Lower number Red Ryders, yes but not in that number range.

Western Hero as a mash up of multiple celebrity cowboys does not work. People prefer them in their own title. Plus Fawcett Western interiors suck.

That Prize Western, apart from the Lazo Kid story does not have much going for it. Later issues are of more interest with American Eagle (and then maybe only to few).

Durango Kid has the a Dan Brand and Tipi Frazetta story but it's still held back by the photo cover.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

Durango Kid has the a Dan Brand and Tipi Frazetta story.....

Ooooohhhh, Frazetta!!!! That perked me right up.  I may have to test the waters with that one.

Edited by gadzukes
Link to post
Share on other sites

Books with Frazetta covers, even westerns, may be worth slabbing.  Early Gene Autry, Lone Ranger and Red Ryder may also be worth the effort.  Otherwise, preservation with buffer boards and mylar should be good enough.  Dell comics have a slightly better paper quality, I think.  But don't forget those Baker covers...fans are just catching on to those wonder western covers he did.

 

9110578790_ae9d0440d8_b.jpg5562013802_81a94b15be_b.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4