• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a market for Western comics any more?
3 3

360 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Dang thet there Mr. Bedrock anyhow...he done made me buy a bunch a these here cheap things...here's 2 that arrived out of the 11 thet are a comin'...

32414203987_83c09bc987_c.jpg

32414204127_b54797cae6_c.jpg

:takeit:

I corralled another one, fellers.

6iM6rav.gif

I improved the white in these scans just because it abets the fantasy that I am holding a copy fresh off the press. Regardless, it has nice cover composition and a really interesting palette to depict this bold, soon-to-be-bloody hunting scene in the old west.

Thanks @oceans11.

dead-eye-western-vol1-2-a.jpg

dead-eye-western-vol1-2-b.jpg

On 2/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, gadzukes said:

Is there such a thing as a western key issue?

This one should be.  First masked hero book published by Martin Goodman and his jumble of companies that would become Marvel Comics.  The Masked Rider even appears in Marvel Comics #1 with a slight name change (Masked Raider) because Goodman had sold the character.

Masked Rider Vol 1 No 1, Apr 1934

Bk5CvS4h.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, Robot Man said:

I don't buy or own a whole lot of westerns. Probably one box full but do pick them up from time to time if I really like them if they are cheap. Loved the covers on these recent pick-ups.

comkidcoltoutlaw6.jpg

That's an OLD Werewolf story.

Is there an example of a werewolf story in comics that's older than this?

On 2/26/2019 at 2:36 PM, gadzukes said:

Is there such a thing as a western key issue?

Another western key is Pete Rice Magazine Vol 1 No 1 from Nov 1933.

When hero pulps became popular in the early 1930s publishers scrambled to cover the market.  Street & Smith released three new hero pulps in 1933, one adventure themed (Doc Savage), one detective (Nick Carter), and one western (Pete Rice).

pKW4V5ch.jpg