• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a market for Western comics any more?
3 3

360 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Another western key is Pete Rice Magazine Vol 1 No 1 from Nov 1933.

When hero pulps became popular in the early 1930s publishers scrambled to cover the market.  Street & Smith released three new hero pulps in 1933, one adventure themed (Doc Savage), one detective (Nick Carter), and one western (Pete Rice).

pKW4V5ch.jpg

Got one of these?

071402F7-F171-4647-8E7E-A06AD164628A.jpeg

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

swiftarrow1.jpg

Cool book, Richard.

As you saw at WonderCon, I am just now getting into Ajax/Farrell and Superior romance comics but as of yet don’t have any other genre from those companies... so much to explore!

On 3/4/2019 at 9:17 PM, cheetah said:

Not in my collection anymore but pretty spectacular Graham Ingles cover.

WildBillHickock1810x1280_zps2f97f328.jpg

When I saw this gorgeous cover posted in this thread, I knew I needed to pick one up.

Here's the Canadian version I just found.  It's not only canadian, but it's the "S 'double D'" version ;)

a1.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

17 hours ago, Scrooge said:

Here's another one from Charlton looking for inspiration elsewhere - Noticed it right away thanks to collecting the Four Color set ... otherwise, easy to miss -

149577.jpg.777d1a7a0d3aba32d5f34e927b7af2d7.jpg

607251-fc467.jpg.ef13c8665e08256d076d7c51b62a362e.jpg

That's a really cool find.  I love stuff like this.  I also love the cowboy/indian switch between covers.

Thanks. Notice how the swiper was rather lazy. The closed right hand of Cheyenne Kid is lacking the knife. Why not draw it in another position to avoid the awkwardness? It can't be a case of a change to conform to the Code … this is 1959!

Charlton had a couple of series that ran decades including Cheyenne Kid that ran until 1973.