• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a market for Western comics any more?
3 3

360 posts in this topic

All this number crunching got me curious to see how many I accidentally accumulated over the years ... Not that anyone will care but I see 1,116 :blush: in my records. That's 26% of the lot. I'll wear that as a badge of shame lol

Two big intersections in my collecting help push the #'s up: 1. collecting the Four Color run and 2. the period of time I bought anything and everything Atlas but I also have targeted some runs during that time period: Prize Western, Straight Arrow, All-American Western, Western Comics and many other Dell runs. Four Color and Dell runs landed me with ~600 Dell Westerns, 157 Atlas, 103 DCs, 91 Magazine Enterprises, all of the Gilbertons, much of the Prize and Fiction House. Now, I see that I need to focus on the Quality. Nevertheless, there are so many series I have no interest whatsoever in owning more than one representative issue, if that!

I don't know how Dr. Love made it to ALL romance?!?

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

All this number crunching got me curious to see how many I accidentally accumulated over the years ... Not that anyone will care but I see 1,116 :blush: in my records. That's 26% of the lot. I'll wear that as a badge of shame lol

Two big intersections in my collecting help push the #'s up: 1. collecting the Four Color run and 2. the period of time I bought anything and everything Atlas

I'm also working on a Four Color run and am over 80% of the way there.  It will be tough to finish, but maybe some day.

As for westerns, I've got:

243 of the Four Color westerns

All of the Dell Gene Autry vol.2 and Gene Autry's Champion (plus one from vol.1 of Gene Autry)

All but one Roy Rogers and all but 3 of the Roy Rogers' Trigger issues

115/145 Lone Ranger plus 34/34 Silver and 27/32 Tonto

92/150 Red Ryder

All Indian Chief

24/30 Rex Allen

lots of other Dell issues

I don't have too many DC westerns from the 40s-60s - maybe 100 or so with many of those being Tomahawk.  I do have all of the All Star Western/Weird Western Tales and Jonah Hex.  I have a lot of Marvel westerns, but mostly from the mid-60s and later.  I've never really collected westerns from other publishers.

6 minutes ago, kaculler said:

92/150 Red Ryder

:headbang: I wish I had more Red Ryders ... but I can't collect everything! For example, I have a lot of the Lone Ranger and barely any Roy Rogers. Missing only 1 Indian Chief though.

7 minutes ago, kaculler said:

I've never really collected westerns from other publishers.

Me neither. They look tempting but many always contain poor artistry. That's holding me back. At least with the DC, for example, you are guaranteed quality. Ditto for Magazine Enterprises and Prize. Same with Dell by and large. Atlas is fine with me as I am familiar with most artists so it's nice to see familiar "faces". Otherwise, the Atlas aren't always the best out there in term of Westerns.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:04 PM, Casablanca said:

I thought this was slabbable, turns out it was. 2 on the census i believe, and this one comes out at the top.

My westerns collection is fairly ratty, those were the books i folded over and read in the bathroom. TMI  i realize... Oh, well :)

annieoakley5.jpg

I love the detail on her outfit.  Her torso looks too long to me though.  Cool cover.

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yep, took a shot at the dog. He will attest to it...:roflmao:

I have a feeling you have bought about a hundred dart guns thru the years Robot Man.  Is your dog the target for every new buy?  He probably knows when to run away now.

Edited by gadzukes

Hi, may I chime in with a question for western comic experts, please. Do you know of any comic book adaptions of John Ford's 1948 "3 Godfathers" (John Wayne)?

Any help would be much appreciated. Apparently, there's nothing to be found on the internet, not even in the "Grand Comics Database". hm