• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a market for Western comics any more?
3 3

360 posts in this topic

I still get surprised when going thru comics.

I was just loading this Star Spangled 113 onto ebay and was really struck by the Splash page for the Tomahawk story.

Looked it up in the OSG and sure enough...... Frazetta.  A 10 page Tomahawk story.  Pretty cool.

Did Frazetta EVER have any off days?  His work is so eye catching.

1.jpg

IMG_1961 (2).jpg

21 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I still get surprised when going thru comics.

I was just loading this Star Spangled 113 onto ebay and was really struck by the Splash page for the Tomahawk story.

Looked it up in the OSG and sure enough...... Frazetta.  A 10 page Tomahawk story.  Pretty cool.

Did Frazetta EVER have any off days?  His work is so eye catching.

1.jpg

IMG_1961 (2).jpg

That's one of the longest stories Frazetta ever did for DC -- many fans have seen it, as it was reprinted in The Greatest 1950s Stories Ever Told (HC and SC) and in a 1972 Tomahawk issue.  Unfortunately the Greatest Stories reprint was marred by coloring that was way too dark.

Edited by EC Star&Bar
typo

1 hour ago, EC Star&Bar said:

That's one of the longest stories Frazetta ever did for DC -- many fans have seen it, as it was reprinted in The Greatest 1950s Stories Ever Told (HC and SC) and in a 1972 Tomahawk issue.  Unfortunately the Greatest Stories reprint was marred by coloring that was way too dark.

Funny you mention the coloring, because the "Red" registration is off by a lot on this page.  I've never seen the reprint.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, MrBedrock said:

You really need to read the story, see the book as a whole, and especially see the Ralston cereal ad on the back cover before you comment any further.

@MrBedrock

I have to thank you for educating me on this fine gem.Still looking for a high grade one. Hope you are well sir.

Phillip

Tom Mix 4.jpg

On 6/7/2020 at 4:01 PM, Robot Man said:

Don’t see a lot of non EC Al Williamson covers...

233E04D5-90BE-4302-9A48-50766020663F.jpeg

The ignorance of GA artists was just amazing.  Gila Monsters are never found in such a large group, and they don't attack people.  And, the colors and patterns are all wrong.  Sad...:taptaptap:  But, it makes for an exciting cover I guess...

===Liz-Gila-AZ-Pima-OPNM-5-9-83.jpg

And this is how agressive they are...I couldn't even get it to sit still for a decent pic...lol

===Liz-Gila-Retic-AZ-Pima-Florida-DSCN0050 copy 2.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 11/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Electricmastro said:

Western Adventures:

KaLvn45.jpg

wYABAPh.jpg

Straight Arrow:

X2d9E4v.jpg

eu2OFVM.jpg

Charles Starrett as the Durango Kid:

CsIn8Aq.jpg

5V5m684.jpg

Tim Holt:

veo3BZs.jpg

YdkSL0t.jpg

The Texan:

4cKVRMK.jpg

9ify9Pj.jpg

The Hawk:

9FtNOXL.jpg

GO0g7NO.jpg

I think there is a market for western books cause I got outbide on that hawk book a few days ago, for what I thought was well more than a western should go for :(

2 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

I think there is a market for western books cause I got outbide on that hawk book a few days ago, for what I thought was well more than a western should go for :(

I think it definitely depends on what westerns one chooses to focus on. Everett Kinstler’s western art for Avon was probably some of the finest western comic book art drawn at the time, and I’m sure he’d receive a lot more fanfare from those who’d happen to find out about it. His work on Geronimo #3 stood out to me for example:

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

15.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

On 1/24/2023 at 10:54 AM, gadzukes said:

Does anyone under 50 even know who this guy was?

They rinka-dinka-don't