• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2020 at 12:19 PM, delekkerste said:

Facebook, Twitter, and the entire internet is buzzing about me selling my DC Comics Collection. But they all got it wrong. In 2008 I sold them to my dear friend, John Barton, for a tiny fraction of their value with the intention of being allowed to keep them in my house until I died. But when DC ended all their runs and reverted to restarting at number one for them all, I was so sickened that I gave him permission to sell them. They were all taken away around 2015 and every comic was examined and graded by Paul Sassiene, comic expert, for Sotherbys. I rather resent everybody assuming I'm the one who's selling them, having given up the ownership twelve years ago. Sotherby's have had them for five years now so I'm bemused that the story has suddenly become public. Fifty years hard, devoted, dedicated work, and all I ever got back was a mere fraction of what I paid for them, yet they will always be known as The Ian Levine Collection.

such a strange fellow.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:23 AM, delekkerste said:

Didn't he sell the collection some years ago?  Is he the consignor or did the new owner just keep Ian's name on it for marketing value? 

Ian confirmed that it's the latter, they are just keeping his name for marketing value.

I'm sure this has been asked already but...isn't Southeby's the wrong venue for this collection?

I haven't thought of them as a premiere comics venue since the internet started. It's been literally decades since they made headlines selling the White Mountain copy of AF # 15 for $40,000.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm sure this has been asked already but...isn't Southeby's the wrong venue for this collection?

It's a valid point, but I don't know if any venue is the right alternative selling this as one whole lot.

It probably also had a lot to do with Sotheby's having a UK presence and the location of the collection. Couldn't imagine what shipping would be. It looks like Paul Sassiene (one of the Stateside Comics guys back in the day) was the primary cataloger of this massive task.

On 4/4/2020 at 9:37 PM, dupont2005 said:

I’d say the timing might not be great 

In hindsight, might have been a lot better than we all thought then. Comic prices have exploded last year. One of the quickest and biggest upsurges in price in the 50 years I’ve been collecting. 

On 5/30/2023 at 2:18 PM, FlyingDonut said:

For those who may have missed it, Ian's collection is now going to be sold by PBA Galleries, starting sometime this fall. Was posted on Facebook today.

Way to dodge entirely the complete apex of the comic market. Brilliant timing. 

Wtf i don't want to believe it, but it is...:jawdrop:

All my respect on the name of Ian Levine. 

However this topic is an excellent way to remember to everyone come here to: "BUY ONLY WHAT YOU LOVE!" 

On 6/2/2023 at 2:01 AM, Mmehdy said:

what would consider to be the 3 rarest GA, SA, BZ books in the collection? your thoughts?

Not in the 3 rarest, but All-American is s known SOB to track down. That's got to be what, top 30?

On 6/1/2023 at 9:04 AM, Cat said:

Not in the 3 rarest, but All-American is s known SOB to track down. That's got to be what, top 30?

He considered Double Action #2 to be one of them for sure...interesting what that book is gonna go for, he has the #1 also. But I would agree with you about the AA.

On 6/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, Mmehdy said:

he has the #1 also

His #1 was fan-made.  Unless he also bought the ashcan that showed up in 2016.

I read that the Sugar & Spike (#2?), Double Action 2, and New Adventure 26 were right up there near the top of "difficulty".  Isn't that posted in this thread towards the beginning? (I'm lazy and don't feel like searching)

On 6/1/2023 at 2:13 PM, Yorick said:

His #1 was fan-made.  Unless he also bought the ashcan that showed up in 2016.

I think he said he had sold the collection by 2014 so I doubt he was buying in 2016?