• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Challenges of buying & selling comics? [SURVEY]
2 2

49 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, shadroch said:

From a business point of view, you should pass. However, have you considered that selling comics can be every much of a hobby as simply collecting them. 

After a couple of days of mature negotiations we agreed on $1500. I think fair for both sides. The only caveat is I need to bring boxes as his wife wants to keep the bins.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:17 PM, dupont2005 said:

I couldn’t imagine not collecting runs

Why?  I once was over 90% done with a 12 cent Marvel set. Was at a show and found a dealer who had several books I needed. As I gathered them I realized I was about to lay out silly money for books I was only buying to check off a book from a list.

What works better? Three copies of FF 45 or a run of FF 21-44? It's a personal choice but I have decided it makes more sense to buy multiple copies of a book I want rather than buy books I need to fill in a run.

When I was going thru my Tales to Astonish box this week, I was thinking that I should have bought multiple  copies of #44 instead of issues 41,42, and 43.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Why?  I once was over 90% done with a 12 cent Marvel set. Was at a show and found a dealer who had several books I needed. As I gathered them I realized I was about to lay out silly money for books I was only buying to check off a book from a list.

What works better? Three copies of FF 45 or a run of FF 21-44? It's a personal choice but I have decided it makes more sense to buy multiple copies of a book I want rather than buy books I need to fill in a run.

When I was going thru my Tales to Astonish box this week, I was thinking that I should have bought multiple  copies of #44 instead of issues 41,42, and 43.

I guess it’s the type of comics I like. I like long form stories, and I collect them because I like the stories. There’s no key issues of Elfquest or Love And Rockets, but missing any issue of either is missing a chunk of the story I love. I will stop when I stop liking the story though. Not much Elfquest past Kings Of The Broken Wheel interests me. 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I agree

34 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I guess it’s the type of comics I like. I like long form stories, and I collect them because I like the stories. There’s no key issues of Elfquest or Love And Rockets, but missing any issue of either is missing a chunk of the story I love. I will stop when I stop liking the story though. Not much Elfquest past Kings Of The Broken Wheel interests me. 

It's a big tent, there is room for everybody. All are welcome.

47 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It's a big tent, there is room for everybody. All are welcome.

Sure, I’m just speaking for myself. In relation to this guy who seems to be a collector like me. I wouldn’t trade all those stories for one key even if it made financial sense because the stories are what I love. And not just the stories. The editorials, the letters, the in-house advertising, the covers. A lot of that stuff you don’t get in trade format 

I think the survey in relation to the topic are confusing. Topic talks about challenges of selling comics. Survey mentions "vintage" comics. You'd be surprised at how many sellers/buyers are out there trading bronze-modern comics and hardly touch silver/golden. My guess would even be that it's higher in favor of the latter. 

And so, I would further suggest to separate eBay from comiclink, heritage etc since I'm sure that most eBay buyers/sellers don't trade with those two

unless you're intentions are to survey ONLY Silver & Golden buyers/sellers, that survey would have to be revised for best results 

6 hours ago, Wipple said:

After a couple of days of mature negotiations we agreed on $1500. I think fair for both sides. The only caveat is I need to bring boxes as his wife wants to keep the bins.

Seems like a very nice deal even if you are primarily buying them to fill out your collection. Even his starting price wasn't too bad if you are looking at it from this perspective.