• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a PEMDAS for grading?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I would like to get better at grading comics. I'm not looking to work for CGC, but I'd like to be able to assess books and make sure that I'm somewhat on par with the grade they're being sold as. I went to a con looking for a couple keeper books and didn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on anything I looked at. I'd like to practice by grading a couple short boxes; re-grading them in a couple months to see if I feel the same way to get more comfortable with grading. Maybe next time I'll come home with a couple of the books I'd like.

I was wondering if there was a proper order when it comes to grading. Math had PEMDAS. Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally for parentheses, exponent, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction. The only acronym I can come up with is FBCSSPP. "F***ing biting c**t! Stupid spider," Peter Parker for front cover, back cover, corners, staples, spine, page quality, page count. I'm not sure that that's the best order to look at the book and I'm sure I'm missing a couple other grading criteria. Is there an order to grading the book that lends itself to more careful handling or a more efficient grading process?

Thanks!

Perhaps I can offer some advice. First, there's nothing like experience to help you learn how to grade, so your comment about grading a short box or two is very insightful. I'm not sure of one strict formula for grading, but you certainly touched on some key areas that need to be evaluated before you can get a good idea of where a book may fall on the 10 point grading scale. For me, I can usually get an idea about a book's condition almost immediately by closely examining the spine and the staples. To put it simply, if the book has a lot of spine wear, it's usually been read many times, which usually means there's other wear as well. When I'm evaluating a book to purchase, I check everything I can if it's not already slabbed (and even if it has been slabbed)! That's one reason I still buy CGC graded books---I know that at the very least, the book's condition was evaluated by an expert, a restoration check has been done, and the interior has been examined for flaws. Not only that, the certified grade will usually be very close to what I would grade the book, so it takes the guesswork out of it. But if you enjoy grading books (a rare quality to have) then I would suggest checking out the books listed in the "Buddy Can You Spare a Grade" section. That way, you can see how other graders grade and fine tune your skills a little at a time. I really enjoy seeing how other people evaluate books, even if we don't always agree on the grade. And I'll let you in on a little secret: the graders at CGC don't always agree, either.  (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den

Interesting question... I didn't realize there is a pattern to which I inspect a book to grade it, usually always in the same order

What I look at in order: SCEF-BICOP

Spine
Corners
Edges
Front
Back
Interior
Completeness
Overall Presentation

ETA: Spine includes staples

Edited by jcjames

@jas1vans

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Try this part of the CGC forums, people post scans for an estimate in grade. If willing some may even give reasons to why they estimate the posters book a certain grade. It may help you with gut decisions once you've seen many copies and you might get an idea towards future purchases :foryou:

This is a really good question.  I started learning how to grade comics 40 years ago and I’m still learning.  Everyone has their own preferred and despised flaws on books but if you’re looking for the general consensus, I would go to one of the bigger cons and seek out the major dealers that are very well respected.  Richard Evans and Bob Storms are just the first two that come to mind.  They will have an inventory of books in various grades that you can look at and start getting a good baseline for the major grade points: Very Good 4.0, Fine 6.0, Very Fine 8.0, VFNM 9.0, NM 9.4.  Once you get those established in your mind, you can start filling the nuances between like the difference between a 4.5 and a 5.5.  There will always be tough calls, like when a book is perfect in every other way but has a 3” non-color breaking crease on the back cover (hate those!) or what role do surface characteristics play vs. the obvious structure of a book.  Just takes time and lots of practice.

Keep in mind the following dynamic- most people that are buying books will try to undergrade to get a better deal and a lot of people (above individuals and others excluded) will overgrade books they are selling to get the most money for them.  It’s human nature but the good guys treat everyone the same way they’d like to be treated.  The question I often ask myself when selling a book is this:  if I got this with my assigned grade, would be pleased or disappointed.  You still miss stuff sometimes but you do your best.

First remember, grading is subjective, there is no "absolute" carved in stone but there are grading standards and the more you grade and look at the defects talked about the more proficient you will become.

There are resources available to you to help you learn to grade your books properly.

You need to learn the terminology, the standards and have illustrations to help you see the actual defects that are being referred to.

Remember, you do not need to memorize all of these, that is why you keep the reference material close by.

A few years back I re-graded/cataloged/photographed all 3600 of my books and I still refer to the grading standards when I am grading a book.

GRADING STANDARDS

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

COMIC BOOK GLOSSARY/TERMINOLOGY

http://www.teako170.com/grade.html

OVERSTREET COMIC BOOK GRADING GUIDE (Also available on Amazon/eBay/Barnes and Noble, etc.)

https://gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-comic-book-grading-guide-3rd-edition

@The Lions Den I saw that idea on a reply on another grading question. I'm not sure who deserves the proper credit for that idea.

I lurk on the PGM boards and have read the Overstreet and Heritage grading guides. I think that right now I'm much better on the low and mid grades, the 9.0 and above are pretty tough.

Edited by jas1vans
I repeated a sentence, a digital stutter of sorts.

8 minutes ago, jas1vans said:

@The Lions Den I saw that idea on a reply on another grading question. I'm not sure who deserves the proper credit for that idea.

I have read the Overstreet and Heritage grading information. I lurk on the PGM boards and have read the Overstreet and Heritage grading guides. I think that right now I'm much better on the low and mid grades, the 9.0 and above are pretty tough.

That's funny because I think I am better on the higher grade books and don't know jack on the low ones.  Let's team up lol!