• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staples

4 posts in this topic

Have my eye on a book on ebay, but upon further inspection I noticed that the bottom staple seems a bit off.  The top one sits flush with the fold of the book, (perfect) but the bottom staple seems to be maybe 3/16" too far to the right.  The fold is good too though, your not seeing parts off the back of the book up front, it's just that the staple looks a little weird. (location wise)  Hope this makes since.

Just curious if this is a major flaw and will knock the book down considerably in grade.  Hoping to send it off to CGC.  Thanks. :)

Edited by frisbee

You found a nice book at the right price with a good grade (maybe slabbed even).  What else is there?  PRESENTATION.  A squarely cut book with perfectly aligned staples/spine and no printing/bindery defects.  Even if a book has an excellent or matching grade from CGC there is still presentation to think about.  However, I am sure these will command a premium price.  In the end only you can decide.

Last thing to note...  If the offset staple bothers you today, it probably will tomorrow too.

Edited by Karl Liebl

5 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Last thing to note...  If the offset staple bothers you today, it probably will tomorrow too.

Hmm...  I think that's the answer I was looking for.  I'll keep my eyes open for another.

Thank you both for the replies. :)