• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do
1 1

68 posts in this topic

It’s the irony of CGC that the rationale, at least partially, for charging higher fees for higher dollar books is the cost of insurance, security, etc., for them. In fact, CGC rarely, if ever takes any responsibility for damage that occurs once the books are at their facility. Too many people with good reputations here have reported similar stories as set out here: carefully packaged books in ultra high grade, with no shipping damage noted, somehow end up with crunches and dings and fingerprints and creases. 

36 minutes ago, Transplant said:

CGC rarely, if ever takes any responsibility for damage that occurs once the books are at their facility

That is very very poor. Every professional company should be honest, open and transparent. The policy should be 'we will give you fair market value for the difference of what the book would be worth had we not damaged it.' That might well be the last book i submit to CGC.

1. How many books has CGC graded in their history?

2. What is the likelihood that none has ever suffered damage after being received by CGC?

3. Knowing the answer to #1, what is a reasonable estimate of the number of books that have been damaged by CGC?

4. Of those books damaged, what % were reported as damaged?

IMO it doesn't matter how great anyone is at handling books, some % of books get damaged to some extent with some frequency. 

I would bet:

A. CGC employees are really good in handling books but are not perfect.

B. Some but not all of the damage gets reported (unless Jesus is the sole CGC employee). "it would/could never happen" is a bit ridiculous.

C. You have to expect the system to not be perfect; accept the good service and factor into your average ROI an uncompensated screw up every once in a  great while.

D. Also realize that the odds are greater that the fault is actually yours, but you didn't realize it.

Remember if your auto repair shop gets in a crash driving your car, they are not liable for it.  

10 minutes ago, kav said:

Remember if your auto repair shop gets in a crash driving your car, they are not liable for it.  

I had a car wash manager smash my BMW into the vehicle in front by driving it with the door open and one foot hanging out, while I watched.  He offered the wash for free.

I had a power antenna installer put a 6 inch scratch on my Porsche with a screwdriver and then offer the antenna half price.

More devious...

I had a Toyota dealership call and tell me they discovered a hole in my radiator while changing the timing belt and water pump (they are about 1 inch from the radiator).  The car never leaked a drop.

Sometimes life stinks!

2 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I had a car wash manager smash my BMW into the vehicle in front by driving it with the door open and one foot hanging out, while I watched.  He offered the wash for free.

I had a power antenna installer put a 6 inch scratch on my Porsche with a screwdriver and then offer the antenna half price.

More devious...

I had a Toyota dealership call and tell me they discovered a hole in my radiator while changing the timing belt and water pump (they are about 1 inch from the radiator).  The car never leaked a drop.

Sometimes life stinks!

If they damage something during repair they are liable.  But if it's a collision accident your insurance covers it as they are driving your vehicle with your permission.  Bureau of automotive repair takes that stuff seriously.  I closed down a shop that did a complete engine rebuild ($2600 20 years ago) when it was determined later by the dealer all I needed was a timing belt ($75).  I wouldnt have even known but they did such a poor job on the rebuild it was squirting oil down the road so I took it to the dealer.

The owner of the shop was a family friend and I had bought school clothes for his kids in the past.  He still reamed me.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

If they damage something during repair they are liable.  But if it's a collision accident your insurance covers it as they are driving your vehicle with your permission.  Bureau of automotive repair takes that stuff seriously.  I closed down a shop that did a complete engine rebuild ($2600 20 years ago) when it was determined later by the dealer all I needed was a timing belt ($75).  I wouldnt have even known but they did such a poor job on the rebuild it was squirting oil down the road so I took it to the dealer.

I am ruing the day I will ever have to get the Turbo flat bedded, but it will happen eventually.  The stock rims are old and 2-3k each.  Each tire has a pressure sensor thats about 400 bucks apiece.  Cost to remove and remount rims a few hundred more.  The chin spoiler on the bone stock car is about 4 inches off the ground and can barely take a speed bump let alone a flatbed.  Fancy cars are a PITA.

I need one of these haha!

It was a twisted series of events-car stopped dead one day.  Had the guy tow it to shop.  He said the timing belt broke, and bent the rods (valves?), and it needed engine rebuild.  2 weeks later I got the car, started driving and saw oil pressure light go on.  Got out-saw trail of oil behind me.  Had it towed to dealer.  I said yeah my timing belt broke so it bent the rods-
He stared in shock and said that is impossible.  He said my car had a clearance engine and the rods cannot be bent like that.  Oil leak was from seal installed backwards.  Contacted 5 foreign car shops and got statements from them and the dealer saying what the shop told me was a lie.  Sent info to bureau of automotive repair and filed small claims suit.  BAR guy called and said yes we've had several complaints about that shop.  Won the suit, shop closed down.

Edited by kav

Initially all I wanted the guy to do was pay for the seal repair-he wouldnt budge so-

I agree with most of the sentiment in the thread that of course CGC is not infallible and of course books get damaged by their employees at some point. I've had books damaged by them and I was compensated. I also believe that they don't always fess up to the damage. Having said all of that, the OP's post isn't jiving. Sounds like he thinks the corner was cut off. That isn't something that would happen in normal handling. What... a CGC employee took scissors to it? Doesn't make sense. A corner crunch or a tear or some sort of accidental handling type of damage, sure. A clean cut off corner? Not buying it. Not to imply the OP isn't telling the truth... I'm just saying that doesn't sound like the kind of handling damage I would expect from a CGC employee having an accident with the book.

Since Kav wants all the facts...

The 94 BMW 3 series had a shock absorber mounted front bumper so all I had to do was buff the clear coat and replace the rub strip and license plate holder, which I actually deleted since the plate was bent.  Never got a ticket.

The Porsche had already been keyed down one side first day on a new job, nobody even knows me lol, welcome aboard!  What's one more scratch? Blehhh

The Toyota:  We didn't do it, prove it!

Towing cars: NEVER get a painted chin spoiler car!  Also highly recommend the hydraulic lifter option if available.  Wheels always get scratched by tie down straps and buckles, nobody cares...

AS for Mystafo's comment...

I think after you have been around this hobby long enough you have pretty much seen it all:

stolen books

cheapskates

damaged in shipping

damaged in slabbing

damaging your own books

natural disasters(!)

and endless list of tragical and sometimes comical calamities!

What you do is up to you but once the cherry is popped on that book/car you ain't getting it back again.

4 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

I agree with most of the sentiment in the thread that of course CGC is not infallible and of course books get damaged by their employees at some point. I've had books damaged by them and I was compensated. I also believe that they don't always fess up to the damage. Having said all of that, the OP's post isn't jiving. Sounds like he thinks the corner was cut off. That isn't something that would happen in normal handling. What... a CGC employee took scissors to it? Doesn't make sense. A corner crunch or a tear or some sort of accidental handling type of damage, sure. A clean cut off corner? Not buying it. Not to imply the OP isn't telling the truth... I'm just saying that doesn't sound like the kind of handling damage I would expect from a CGC employee having an accident with the book.

Guys here have said they have clean cut their books on 4 mill mylar before...

7 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

The Toyota:  We didn't do it, prove it!

You dont have to prove-if the BAR has had several complaints they will take your side and can put pressure on shop to make things right.  When I contacted them they immediately issued a fine then began their other procedures.

Edited by kav

I did have a low-grade B&B 28 that was damaged at CGC. I believe they accidentally sliced it a small amount which did not result in a missing piece. They emailed me and gave me a credit on future purchases which was nice because I was planning on submitting more books eventually. It would not have been so helpful if that was my last sub ever.

2 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I did have a low-grade B&B 28 that was damaged at CGC. I believe they accidentally sliced it a small amount which did not result in a missing piece. They emailed me and gave me a credit on future purchases which was nice because I was planning on submitting more books eventually. It would not have been so helpful if that was my last sub ever.

Why are slicing implements being used around the slabbing process?

As others have said when you have a before scan CGC will make you whole.  The problem comes when you don’t.  I don’t have scans, but I KNOW that every book I sent them was a gem mint 10.0.  So I guess I’ll just have to live with the books they sent back to me.

Oh, and I’m a software engineer, but I don’t know what that has to do with anything.

Edited by thunsicker

15 minutes ago, kav said:

Why are slicing implements being used around the slabbing process?

They said it happened during the ‘receiving process’. So not during the slabbing process.