• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do
1 1

68 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Justin Case said:

O.k probably need to step back in here to get this back on topic. Does anyone have any thoughts, insight, opinions, friends who have experienced the same thing and if or how it was resolved. Thanks  

Always take pictures of the front/back of your comic before sending it in for grading. If you give CGC the pictures, they will usually reimburse you.

20 minutes ago, jharvey said:

Always take pictures of the front/back of your comic before sending it in for grading. If you give CGC the pictures, they will usually reimburse you.

I send my books to joeypost who brings them directly to CGC. Thankfully they fixed the only book that I have had damaged in the slabbing process without hassle.

if CGC just took the bkame for every damage claim levied against them they would have been out of business years ago.

if a grader kept damaging books theyd lose their job, so its in their interest to deny blame as well.

we're living in a business model that requires us to take a risk to get what we want (as in a graded, slabbed book) and gives the business mutiple outs in terms of damage blame (can always point at the usps or shipping methods as cause).

CGC trys to find the balance for accepting blame for a reasonable number of claims vs the total number of claims, but its an imperfect model cause their customers can just as easily be wrong (ie misremembering damage, customers over estimating the grade of their book and attributing that gap to some damage by cgc, poor shipping/packaging)

its an imperfect business model,  no body escapes it...

and in answer ro the question, what to do... limit risk.

i only do onsite grading. it eliminates both shipping variables (to and from) and limits the amount of time the books are in the hands of the grader before encapsulating (which is the time they could be damaged). i always worry theres a little increase in the posibility of damage due to a) the tight turn around timeline of onsite grading and b) the graders working in an out of the ordinary grading environment  (not the cgc offiice).

but thats my approach. limit risk.

12 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I get that the OP did not take any pictures .scans of the book before submitting-- but why not provide one of the book now so we can assess the damage?

4 pages in and not a single image of the book in question.

Well im afraid when my printer/scanner packed up a few months ago i did not bother replacing it. I do not have a digital camera either and because im not working these sorts of things are not a priority for me right now. I can borrow things things to put a scan up but its going to be a pain. With all due respect how is that going to help me? I will get people's opinions on how they think the damage may have occurred but then what. The main reason i started this thread was to find out if anybody else had similar experiences and how/if it was resolved.   

On 3/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, Stillirize85 said:

The guys on here who make people who make mistakes feel like dogsh!t. Theres people on here who are arrogant as hell and talk to people like they are above them.  Newsflash,  we all started somewhere.  We all had questions even if dumb.  So take it easy and actually help someone without the attuitude. Youre no better than anyone else. 

How dare you talk to your betters like that!

HOW DARE YOU!!!