• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE TRENCH directed by James Wan (TBD)
1 1

15 posts in this topic

'Aquaman' Spinoff 'The Trench' in the Works (Exclusive)

amn-vfx-sl-021-h_2019.jpg

Warners has hired newbie scribes Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald to pen a horror-tinged -script centered on the Trench, the deadly amphibious creatures seen attacking the hero and his love, Mera, in Aquaman.

Wan and Peter Safran will produce the project, titled The Trench, which would be much more modestly budgeted than the normal DC superhero tentpole.

The Trench creatures are rather recent arrivals to the Aquaman lore, having been introduced in the comics only in 2011 when DC did a revamp of its entire publishing line. They are revealed to be part of the kingdom of Atlantis but when it sunk, inhabitants who were cut off from other survivors and evolved into ravenous monsters.

Details of the take are being kept submerged but it will be set in the kingdom of the Trench and will not feature the main cast of Aquaman.

Gardner and Fitzgerald were assistants at Bad Robot, JJ Abrams’ production shingle, during the filmmaker’sSuper 8 period. They previously wrote a submarine thriller titled The Volos.

ComicBook.com had the chance to sit down with the director to chat about his latest film Annabelle Comes Home, and during that discussion, we had to ask for some details regarding The Trench.

"We, you know, we're still deep in sort of crafting the -script, crafting the story right now so I don't want to get into that too much, but definitely it's one that I really want to lean into the horror of it, so it's going to play more as a monster horror movie then it will as a superhero film, but it's still definitely part of the Aquaman world," Wan said.

That horror focused angle makes a great deal of sense, as all the sequences involving The Trench in the film also stood out for their fantastic tension and spine-tingling imagery, including that phenomenal shot of the horde surrounding Aquaman and Mera's lone flare. It makes us eager to see what Wan can do with an entire movie to introduce those sorts of creepy sequences, and hopefully, it won't be too much longer before we get more concrete information.

An Aquaman Spinoff Is Happening Without Any of Aquaman's Stars

Writers Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald have been hired to write The Trench, a horror-themed DC movie focused on the creatures who attack Arthur (Jason Momoa) and Mera (Amber Heard) toward the end of Aquaman. All that’s known about the film, according to the Hollywood Reporter, is that “it will be set in the kingdom of the Trench and will not feature the main cast of Aquaman.”

Wan will produce along with Peter Safran and the film will be “much more modestly budgeted than the normal DC superhero tentpole,” according to the trade.

Look. The trench scene in Aquaman was super cool. The visuals were great, the world was obviously interesting, and yes, there is more lore that can be drawn from the underwater landscape and the comics. But you have to wonder, why the hell are the Trench people the first to get a spinoff in this insanely vast, expansive world?

Well, probably because none of the stars are in it. It’s a world that’s almost completely sealed off to anything happening in Atlantis or on the surface, so there’s no worry about Aquaman, Mera, Orm, let alone Shazam or Batman or whoever needing to get involved.

Warner Bros. and DC Films' upcoming slate is moving forward without Ava DuVernay's New Gods and James Wan's Aquaman spinoff, The Trench.

"As part of our DC slate, some legacy development titles including New Gods and The Trench will not be moving forward," Warner Bros. and DC said in a statement. "We thank our partners Ava DuVernay, Tom King, James Wan and Peter Safran for their time and collaboration during this process and look forward to our continued partnership with them on other DC stories. The projects will remain in their skillful hands if they were to move forward in the future."

New Gods, which DuVernay has been developing as a directing vehicle with acclaimed comic book writer Tom King since 2018, would have brought to the screen the comic book characters created by the late and legendary artist Jack Kirby. DuVernay, however, remains in the DC fold and is currently working on the DC series Naomi for The CW.

The Trench, meanwhile, was to have been a horror-tinged project spinning out of Aquaman and focused on the group of the deadly amphibious creatures seen in the $1 billion-grossing 2018 film. Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald had written the -script, which Wan was developing as a producer with collaborator Peter Safran. Wan, too, remains in the DC fold as he is prepping to shoot Aquaman 2 for the studio later this year.

The projects are being shelved but like many comic characters, could come to life down the road. DC Films, led by president Walter Hamada, is leaving the door open to revisit these properties in the future, but insiders note that when it became clear the upcoming DC slate did not have a natural spot for New Gods or The Trench over the next few years, execs believed it was best not to leave the filmmakers hanging in development without a clear end in sight.

During a recent interview with ComicBook, Wan discussed the canceled DC spinoff in hindsight. When asked about reviving concepts from The Trench, the Aquaman director did not rule out the possibility and seemed open to reworking his ideas from the scrapped project into another, as this is something he has habitually done throughout his career. Read what Wan shared below:

"Listen, I feel like everything I come up with, everything I do, if I come up with something that I don't end up using, that doesn't mean that I cannot be inspired to use that in a different way. That's my problem, is I come up with a lot of ideas and I have so many ideas just percolating, but obviously, I can't use all of them. So I would say of all the different thoughts and ideas I've come up with, I end up using maybe 20-30% of them in my work, and so I do have a drawer full of ideas that could develop into something else."