• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading is currently strict Ver 2.0 aka my grading skills suck.
1 1

63 posts in this topic

Just now, Logan510 said:

I honestly don’t know if you’re joking but I was being serious (shrug)

Sorry sometimes I joke around a bit too much-like Robert B Parker's Spenser.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What grade do you think CGC would give it? Any resto?

Don't do it, RMA, it looks trimmed to me. 

:jokealert:

59 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

So if you saw the folds before buying would you have still bought them and pressed them rolling the dice?  Or would you have passed?

As far as fingerprints are concerned I got one of those books too.  But it has a black cover, Star Wars 1.  The thing is I can't see them at all!  I don't know what the heck they are talking about. Hence my infamous INVISIBLE FINGERPRINTS thread lol...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71c.jpg.b261cebf73220187d3a28e94380d69c8.jpg

I still don't know where the folds are TBH. I can see 1 of the 2 fingerprints now that I look closely. Would still pass on the pressing since they didn't seem like candidates the 1st time. If I knew for sure I'd get bumped a few grades i'd probably press them. Not the X-Men however since the fingerprints are basically there forever I assume. Still a good learning experience. Don't regret it since its become educational.

5 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I still don't know where the folds are TBH. I can see 1 of the 2 fingerprints now that I look closely. Would still pass on the pressing since they didn't seem like candidates the 1st time. If I knew for sure I'd get bumped a few grades i'd probably press them. Not the X-Men however since the fingerprints are basically there forever I assume. Still a good learning experience. Don't regret it since its become educational.

I just pulled this book out and went over it with a magnifying glass.  No fingerprints.  I think I did however finally unlock the mystery of this book and why it didn't get a 9.8 and I don't want to talk about it lol.  It's my childhood book and I am keeping it anyways, no big deal.

10 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I just pulled this book out and went over it with a magnifying glass.  No fingerprints.  I think I did however finally unlock the mystery of this book and why it didn't get a 9.8 and I don't want to talk about it lol.  It's my childhood book and I am keeping it anyways, no big deal.

Holy cow!  Your childhood copy hit 9.6?

Sadly, as a teenager caught up in the obsession with high-grade, I dumped my childhood comics. 

But from what I remember even the best of them wouldn’t hit higher than FN on a good day. 

3 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

No pressing. All were basic Ebay purchases. 

Long before Matt Nelson joined CGC.

Matt Nelson gave the grade evaluation on my books at his WW Comics booth.

Matt: Where did you get those books?

Me: I purchased them off eBay.

Matt: You bought them off eBay? (he gave me a loooong stare in my eyes).

Edited by JollyComics

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Holy cow!  Your childhood copy hit 9.6?

Sadly, as a teenager caught up in the obsession with high-grade, I dumped my childhood comics. 

But from what I remember even the best of them wouldn’t hit higher than FN on a good day. 

Yeah but I was a "collector" as a kid and already bagging and boarding.  I probably only read it once.  It's not really rare, there are tons of 9.8 out there.  This book survived because I gave it to my brother and he didn't sell all his books like I did.  He tried but never did, only keeping one short box.  But that is a different story.

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:
3 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

What did you learn?  What do you think you will do differently?

Look for small folds which seems to be the common flaw amongst all the books. Also check for fingerprints which I'm sure killed the x-men grade as its noted in 2 areas.

Also...., greggy stains.

Without a press I’d say a vast majority of great looking books at 9.2 at best.  There are unpressed 9.8s out there but they are very rare.  Moral of the story is press your books if you want 9.8s (especially Bronze Age and older).

9 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Long before Matt Nelson joined CGC.

Matt Nelson gave the grade evaluation on my books at his WW Comics booth.

Matt: Where did you get those books?

Me: I purchased them off eBay.

Matt: You bought them off eBay? (he gave me a loooong stare in my eyes).

There's just not that many places to acquire raw books. I tried comic connect but grading there is also questionable plus most people just give a scan of front and that's it. I've done ok with my small amount of trusted sellers. I've also had the luck of people under grading at times so that kinda makes up for it.

42 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Or...,learn how to grade..., 

I don't think learning to grade has anything to do with the lack of unpressed books destined to be in a 9.6/9.8 slab.  You can avoid getting non 9.6/9.8 books graded if you are a good grader but it doesn't make the 9.2 book in hand into a 9.8 contender.  People that get a lot of books graded and need a 9.8 almost all get their books pressed which speaks for itself.

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

There's just not that many places to acquire raw books. I tried comic connect but grading there is also questionable plus most people just give a scan of front and that's it. I've done ok with my small amount of trusted sellers. I've also had the luck of people under grading at times so that kinda makes up for it.

We are in the same boat.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Without a press I’d say a vast majority of great looking books at 9.2 at best.  There are unpressed 9.8s out there but they are very rare.  Moral of the story is press your books if you want 9.8s (especially Bronze Age and older).

What do you consider rare?

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Or...,learn how to grade..., 

I don't know what this means. Are you saying to pass on the opportunity to "upgrade" a 9.2 to a higher grade with a press and just concentrate on finding 9.8 candidates for submitting if that's your thing?

8 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

What do you consider rare?

In terms of number of copies or percentage of books.  If you took 20 very nice looking bronze age copies of a book and subbed them i'd think maybe 1 or 2 would get 9.8 without a press.  With a press may bring that number up to 5 or 6.  I'm not suggesting 9.8 are rare as in only 5 or 10 copies in existence.