• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading is currently strict Ver 2.0 aka my grading skills suck.
1 1

63 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

There's just not that many places to acquire raw books. I tried comic connect but grading there is also questionable plus most people just give a scan of front and that's it. I've done ok with my small amount of trusted sellers. I've also had the luck of people under grading at times so that kinda makes up for it.

I love the people who say eBay is a waste of time for buying raw HG books. 

I must be the luckiest SOB on the planet as a good portion of my submissions come from eBay purchases.

25 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

In terms of number of copies or percentage of books.  If you took 20 very nice looking bronze age copies of a book and subbed them i'd think maybe 1 or 2 would get 9.8 without a press.  With a press may bring that number up to 5 or 6.  I'm not suggesting 9.8 are rare as in only 5 or 10 copies in existence.

You're absolutely correct. Unpressed 9.8s are exceptionally rare "in the wild." You'd have to find collections where the buyer cherry picked the nicest copies, then bagged and boarded them immediately, and then nothing happened in the intervening years. A thumb dent, a slight impact dent, a small bend...all disqualifiers.

Pressing made 9.8s common, because most of those flaws could be fixed. My first submission probably would have been my last, if not for pressing, at least as far as moderns go.

21 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I have a few more moderns that were going to be submitted soon. First they must be checked under a microscope, a telescope, micrometer, thermometer, and anything else I can think of. Maybe even an emissions test. 

Don't forget the prostate exam.

23 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I have a few more moderns that were going to be submitted soon. First they must be checked under a microscope, a telescope, micrometer, thermometer, and anything else I can think of. Maybe even an emissions test. 

Better be the third Tuesday of the month or on a birthday of a grader or it all will be for naught.

32 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I love the people who say eBay is a waste of time for buying raw HG books. 

I must be the luckiest SOB on the planet as a good portion of my submissions come from eBay purchases.

There are still many good books on Ebay it takes patience and discretion. If you purchase a book described as NM that gives you the front of the book in plastic then you probably won't be getting a NM book. Big history of positive feedback is always a plus.

5 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

There are still many good books on Ebay it takes patience and discretion. If you purchase a book described as NM that gives you the front of the book in plastic then you probably won't be getting a NM book. Big history of positive feedback is always a plus.

What I've found troubling is that listings with NM are a plus, but NM ranges from 9.0-9.8 :( your right positive feedback is always a plus :whee: 

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Agreed, there are tons of great books. If  an established seller with good feedback and a return policy hs a good description and lots of scans and pics, I can usually make my own decision about a book and am rarely dissatisfied. I

Ok it's time for round 2 of Ride the Tiger vs the graded comic. I'm sending in 3 more books and will be taking the advice given and having a press done. I will post pre press scans and yall can give me your thoughts. This time 2 SA and 1 BA.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:17 PM, Karl Liebl said:

I just pulled this book out and went over it with a magnifying glass.  No fingerprints.  I think I did however finally unlock the mystery of this book and why it didn't get a 9.8 and I don't want to talk about it lol.  It's my childhood book and I am keeping it anyways, no big deal.

Did you use silly putty on the panels? Don't feel bad. I did that to my X-Men 111.

Books have been graded. Again I thought I could get a 9.4 on all the books. This time they were pressed by a reputable presser. Same results. 2 8.5s and a 9.0 which I thought was the worst book. I give up. I don't know how you get a 9.4 in this hobby but I'm to the point where I don't care anymore. Time to move onto other hobbies. See yall in coins.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:58 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Ok it's time for round 2 of Ride the Tiger vs the graded comic. I'm sending in 3 more books and will be taking the advice given and having a press done. I will post pre press scans and yall can give me your thoughts. This time 2 SA and 1 BA.

What happened to the pre press scans? Did you discuss potential grades with the reputable presser?

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Books have been graded. Again I thought I could get a 9.4 on all the books. This time they were pressed by a reputable presser. Same results. 2 8.5s and a 9.0 which I thought was the worst book. I give up. I don't know how you get a 9.4 in this hobby but I'm to the point where I don't care anymore. Time to move onto other hobbies. See yall in coins.

Pics?

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Why not just get the graders notes, crack them out and learn from your mistakes? (shrug)