• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLINK Winter Featured Auction Ends Mar 5th
2 2

45 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Ironmandrd said:

And $43,777 for the FF #112 page 1 title splash!

looks like only 2 bids/bidders over $25k too. 
That's some last minute swing they both took.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:12 PM, jaykza said:

I was looking at the Sprang Batman DPS and noticed that it's mounted onto a single board. It looks like one of the two boards was cut to make a fit and additional ink was added to make the flame sections match more smoothly. Any opinions on how this would impact price? I am basing these observations on comparisons of images between Heritage and CLink. 

I thought it would but its didn't . Hammered at $25K

1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

Also surprised at JR JR Wolverine 20 wrap around cover from 2004 - $21462!  Large with great character inclusion but still.

yeah, that was a surprise too. I love that storyline and Im still looking for a great example.  Guess I won't get one now!

Malvin

17 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Haven't digested all the results but the Watchmen page sold for $13.5k - it had a lot of ink on it for sure...

That one caught my eye as well. On the one hand, yeah, there's not a whole lot of art on that art page. (From a certain point-of-view, that is...) On the other hand, it really is a wonderful moment in the story (one of my faves, at least.) If I had crazy money to spend, yeah, I can see going for this. And if a few people felt the same way, I can see how this one got bid up. 

Was very happy to have won the John Romita full body Punisher illustration, been trying to get it since I first saw the auction on eBay, unfortunately I never won it. Second times a charm! John Romita is a my favorite artist, so this is a personal grail.

Link to CAF post; https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1533737

F13E3321-2A5C-4BB5-AEBD-5CC2787A1A00.jpeg

Edited by Canadiancomics

2 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

Was very happy to have won the John Romita full body Punisher illustration, been trying to get it since I first saw the auction on eBay, unfortunately I never won it. Second times a charm! John Romita is a my favorite artist, so this is a personal grail.

Link to CAF post; https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1533737

F13E3321-2A5C-4BB5-AEBD-5CC2787A1A00.jpeg

great pick up .this is a full illustration with  wash tones added..Not just a drawing.

18 minutes ago, romitaman said:

great pick up .this is a full illustration with  wash tones added..Not just a drawing.

Thanks! It’s very cool how John was able to use the dry marker effect to create those different tones, gives it a much more finished look. I was actually just about to email you to see if you still meet with Mr. Romita every now and then. I’d love to have a picture of him holding the piece to frame and display with it. 

3 hours ago, Canadiancomics said:

Thanks! It’s very cool how John was able to use the dry marker effect to create those different tones, gives it a much more finished look. I was actually just about to email you to see if you still meet with Mr. Romita every now and then. I’d love to have a picture of him holding the piece to frame and display with it. 

Is that dry marker? Looks like grey marker.

7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Is that dry marker? Looks like grey marker.

It’s possible, but I’m not sure if John would have been using grey markers at the time, the illustration was drawn many years ago. I’ve used dry markers before and it looks very similar, you can see how some areas of the tone are much darker than other parts, and how it’s quite streaky in certain areas. 

The ASM #224 Cover had been listed on the Donnelly Art Exchange sometime ago, for $20k(?)...it 'sells'[Brunswick?], and is posted for sale shortly thereafter amongst Glen Brunswick's CAF listings, for $27k(?)...it 'sells' again(?), then is later consigned into this Winter Featured Auction & the rest can be told from the auction/bid history...

I have not tried the Comic Art Tracker, but, hope one of you experienced users can tell me if such 'short-term' buy & sell data points are amongst the software's features...??

This auction had many examples of arbitrage [wagering] which resulted in less than 'successful' returns for the consignor(s). Remember to please take into account the 10% seller's commission, shipping costs, & TAXES!!...Nevermind those pesky 'Opportunity Costs'...

Other notable examples include Amazing Spider-Man #61, page 15 & X-Men #59, page 18 which both previously 'sold' on eBay...

2 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

The ASM #224 Cover had been listed on the Donnelly Art Exchange sometime ago, for $20k(?)...it 'sells'[Brunswick?], and is posted for sale shortly thereafter amongst Glen Brunswick's CAF listings, for $27k(?)...it 'sells' again(?), then is later consigned into this Winter Featured Auction & the rest can be told from the auction/bid history...

I have not tried the Comic Art Tracker, but, hope one of you experienced users can tell me if such 'short-term' buy & sell data points are amongst the software's features...??

This auction had many examples of arbitrage [wagering] which resulted in less than 'successful' returns for the consignor(s). Remember to please take into account the 10% seller's commission, shipping costs, & TAXES!!...Nevermind those pesky 'Opportunity Costs'...

Other notable examples include Amazing Spider-Man #61, page 15 & X-Men #59, page 18 which both previously 'sold' on eBay...

Sold...somehow that word has different meanings to different people. To me it means a change of legal ownership and a taxable event has occurred (positive or negative), to others it may mean nothing changes except re-posting the same scan under a different banner to give a certain appearance of activity. City folk would point out that Perception is Reality. It just might be that the art never leaves the original flat file.

Of course the Houses know how many packages come in and go out, the contents and the many (or few) associated addresses. Then there's how much of it comes in but never actually goes out again too. I'd expect all that stuff is private information and will stay that way...unless somebody Official requests it, courteously, but all business, of course.

As the recent tax thread reminded all (ignorance of the law is no excuse), these so-called even trade with no money changing hands transactions are taxable events. The 2018 and future tax returns for certain rather active folks could be interesting if voluminous reading...or even more interesting for their amazing brevity than listings followed by multiple re-bannered re-listings would lead you to believe.

But what do I know? As Gene suggested, compliance may be quite low and even a form of non-violent tax protest ;)

Instead of "sold", how about "no longer available" ?? 

And for those collectors that part with a piece and then acquire it again... @delekkerste 's Miller DD/Byrne X-Men swap example in the other thread takes on a life of its own.

Edited by Will_K

This auction had some interesting final numbers, and from the artists/titles I usually keep track of, I think these are worth noting:

• Bagley Ultimate End #5p33 splash = 2.4K.  Small image of Miles Morales version of Spidey swinging above the city skyline.  Normally, I'd say this is $1K max...just wondering if someone has any insight as to whether there is something significant that drove up the prices?
  • Bermejo Joker splash = 5.3K.  Were we expecting this one to go higher?  Its gorgeous and I believe someone on this thread suggested that it may crack $10K?
  • Bright GL Emerald Dawn pages = $115-446 per page.  Given the significance (at the time) of this storyline and the popularity of this series, I was expecting the nicer pages to hit $1K.  Perhaps this is a forgotten storyline?
  • J. Scott Campbell Vengence of Moon Knight #9 cover (with Spidey) = $6.1K.  I will freely admit that I do not follow the JSC art market closely, but don't his new covers sell for $10K+?  And if so, then this must be a painful result for the seller.
  • Frank Cho Deadpool Gauntlet #1 cover = 2.6K.  Whaaaaaat?  A Frank Cho cover for $2.6K?  Say it ain't so!  That's gotta be below expectations any way you look at it.
  • Cockrum X-Men 156p7 = 3.7K.  Strong Wolverine content throughout the page for only $3.7K?  Somebody got a sweet, sweet deal!
  • Corben Fantagor #4 cover = 52K...there are no words
  • Dillon JLA pages = various prices.  Here we see the post-movie flop price reductions kicking in
  • Romita Jr Wolverine #20 cover = 21.5K.  I don't think anyone was expecting this result, but is it just me or does anyone else recall seeing this on CLINK or HA not too long ago for a much lower price?  Or was that another JR Jr Wolverine cover?  Also, where does this rank in terms of Romita Jr public sales prices?  If I recall, the ASM 238 cover went for $110K, the ASM 239 cover went for just under $50K, the X-Men 191 cover was around $30K, the Ms Marvel 19 cover was $29K..were there others between 21K - $29K?

24 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

This auction had some interesting final numbers, and from the artists/titles I usually keep track of, I think these are worth noting:

• Bagley Ultimate End #5p33 splash = 2.4K.  Small image of Miles Morales version of Spidey swinging above the city skyline.  Normally, I'd say this is $1K max...just wondering if someone has any insight as to whether there is something significant that drove up the prices?
  • Bermejo Joker splash = 5.3K.  Were we expecting this one to go higher?  Its gorgeous and I believe someone on this thread suggested that it may crack $10K?
  • Bright GL Emerald Dawn pages = $115-446 per page.  Given the significance (at the time) of this storyline and the popularity of this series, I was expecting the nicer pages to hit $1K.  Perhaps this is a forgotten storyline?
  • J. Scott Campbell Vengence of Moon Knight #9 cover (with Spidey) = $6.1K.  I will freely admit that I do not follow the JSC art market closely, but don't his new covers sell for $10K+?  And if so, then this must be a painful result for the seller.
  • Frank Cho Deadpool Gauntlet #1 cover = 2.6K.  Whaaaaaat?  A Frank Cho cover for $2.6K?  Say it ain't so!  That's gotta be below expectations any way you look at it.
  • Cockrum X-Men 156p7 = 3.7K.  Strong Wolverine content throughout the page for only $3.7K?  Somebody got a sweet, sweet deal!
  • Corben Fantagor #4 cover = 52K...there are no words
  • Dillon JLA pages = various prices.  Here we see the post-movie flop price reductions kicking in
  • Romita Jr Wolverine #20 cover = 21.5K.  I don't think anyone was expecting this result, but is it just me or does anyone else recall seeing this on CLINK or HA not too long ago for a much lower price?  Or was that another JR Jr Wolverine cover?  Also, where does this rank in terms of Romita Jr public sales prices?  If I recall, the ASM 238 cover went for $110K, the ASM 239 cover went for just under $50K, the X-Men 191 cover was around $30K, the Ms Marvel 19 cover was $29K..were there others between 21K - $29K?

On the Bermejo, it's great. Love it. But I have never seen or noticed a panel page from any of his work even approach five figures, not even close. If there are comps for panel pages out there in the 5 figure range they've slipped by my gaze. I think it wound up very strong at $5300. '

On the Romita Jr. The 191 cover was 38k at auction. I don't think anything from his more recent work has approached what this Wolverine cover went for this time around. 

Edited by comix4fun