Artcurial experience??
0

32 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

My hang up would be that they are asking you to trust them with the whole wire transfer while pulling a weird move on the payment method. Yeah, the whole Covid thing has up many businesses. Credit cards just aren’t one of them from anything I’ve seen anywhere.
 

So it smells. And when something starts to smell, I get less trustful without a verifiable explanation. Especially given other experiences are concerned.  I’ve used plenty of international wire transfers over the years. It certainly makes sense sometimes to do so. But I gotta trust the place first. And from what I’m reading they’re not exactly earning it here.

If a bunch of folks I trusted vouched for them, I’d be more inclined to trust them. Has anyone you know stepped up and said they are totally down with these guys?

 

 

I presume it's about the costs involved with CC transactions...

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, fenip said:

I presume it's about the costs involved with CC transactions...

If so then charge the fee and list that in the terms. Now I can't even get a reply, maybe its the holidays, maybe they only come into the office one day per month to process invoices. That isn't a joke, actually. But I am getting increasingly annoyed at the radio silence when their terms also state they start charging rent on unpaid purchases after a week. I am sure in their mind they are done with their part of things. 

Edited by cstojano
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you exactly what it is. THEY do not want a chargeback event because the package takes 3 months to get to you. Things out of EU right now are totally cluster. Totally. I have some stuff going back to September that's just sitting in German outgoing customs. I know what that means - vacation or scared to "touch" lol which is really same difference. Anyway @cstojano if you proceed in any other manner than CC, it's on you. That's #1, #2 is the stuff will likely arrive, no matter how you pay, but expect it to be a very long time no matter what. And yes, you don't pay the fees that in part cover CC fees if they aren't bearing those fees. Auction terms are a contract and you insist on them honoring or you bail. They cannot "get" you overseas :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cstojano said:

Now I can't even get a reply, maybe its the holidays, maybe they only come into the office one day per month to process invoices. That isn't a joke, actually.

I know. Nobody takes time off like Europeans. Not even siesta folk "south of the border". Actually, I'm certain they work twice as hard!

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

I am sure in their mind they are done with their part of things. 

No problem. You've done your part too: "this is my cc info, thanks, what's the tracking number?" The End.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My recent art purchases from the EU to US have all been very good, and the sellers were great!

Italy - 4 days, Germany - 3 days, Spain - 2 weeks, Netherlands -  under 1 week.

Regarding the auction, avoid the wire transfer at all costs. You will have zero recourse if anything goes wrong. Like it was mentioned earlier, the pain and frustration of dealing with the lost/damaged/never sent art far exceeds the $$$.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cstojano said:

If so then charge the fee and list that in the terms. Now I can't even get a reply, maybe its the holidays, maybe they only come into the office one day per month to process invoices. That isn't a joke, actually. But I am getting increasingly annoyed at the radio silence when their terms also state they start charging rent on unpaid purchases after a week. I am sure in their mind they are done with their part of things. 

I have to say Heritage was also quite slow to respond to my email asking to change my postal address.  Eventually I just called...  

Edited by fenip
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fenip said:

I have to say Heritage was also quite slow to respond to my email to change my postal address.  Eventually I just called...  

I hear you. I am still waiting for Prop Store to ship items paid for December 4th, a New Zealand package from Nov 24th is MIA, Heritage also no shipping update from the last signature sale (hire more shipping people folks with those BPs you collect). Holidays don't help a thing, I know, but still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, vodou said:

You are very lucky IF you're in the USA. Are you? ;)

Yes, in the USA.

Heritage was the big *winner* with several weeks for delivery, far exceeding the time to get items that were shipping from the EU to USA.  They did send out a notification saying they were behind, but my experience with their shipping speed has not been great at the best of times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2020 at 3:04 PM, cstojano said:

, Heritage also no shipping update from the last signature sale (hire more shipping people folks with those BPs you collect). Holidays don't help a thing, I know, but still.


I had one purchase in the Nov signature auction, and was nervous to receive it , because it was oversized (20x30 inch). But it arrived less than 2 weeks after payment, and they didn’t even charge more for shipping. 
 

i also was curious about artcurial (after just joining up). Sorry to hear about the troubles. 

Edited by Catwoman_Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick bump to close the loop on this thread. The art has arrived and in the end I am happy with the purchase.

THE GOOD: shipping was quick and fairly priced. Even better, the packing was superlative with multiple layers of protection. I'd trust Artcurial with future purchases for sure, excellent job.

THE BAD: After the payment debacle and several weeks of waiting, Artcurial relented and sent me the link to their credit card payment site. Great. I had written this piece off already but they did finally allow the CC payment. The bad is that the site was giving me an error and I (like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person) tried four times to enter the information. You can guess what happened - 4 charges showed as pending on my card. I contacted USAA and they couldn't do anything. I contacted Artcurial and they refunded them quickly. But bankers being bankers I got nailed for an additional 300 dollars on this purchase because the three overages were returned to my card minus transfer fees because it takes a computer a 1% fee to multiply two numbers together. Lesson learned there - part Artcurial's fault for their checkout system and part my fault for not knowing better. 

Piece now posted to CAF. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cstojano said:

A quick bump to close the loop on this thread. The art has arrived and in the end I am happy with the purchase.

THE GOOD: shipping was quick and fairly priced. Even better, the packing was superlative with multiple layers of protection. I'd trust Artcurial with future purchases for sure, excellent job.

THE BAD: After the payment debacle and several weeks of waiting, Artcurial relented and sent me the link to their credit card payment site. Great. I had written this piece off already but they did finally allow the CC payment. The bad is that the site was giving me an error and I (like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person) tried four times to enter the information. You can guess what happened - 4 charges showed as pending on my card. I contacted USAA and they couldn't do anything. I contacted Artcurial and they refunded them quickly. But bankers being bankers I got nailed for an additional 300 dollars on this purchase because the three overages were returned to my card minus transfer fees because it takes a computer a 1% fee to multiply two numbers together. Lesson learned there - part Artcurial's fault for their checkout system and part my fault for not knowing better. 

Piece now posted to CAF. 

Glad to hear you finally got it.  Do you mind linking your CAF? I don't know your CAF gallery.

Malvin

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0