• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Surprise! Signature" Books

20 posts in this topic

Unverified signatures on the cover can be a distraction and ding the grade, but on the splash page they are still kinda cool even if they don't raise the value of the book.

Once in a while you come across a book that has a signature that the seller didnt even know about.

Not necessarily a book lost in a bulk longbox purchase, but a single-issue purchase that the seller didn't even open. 

I call these "Surprise! Signature" books partly because, though they were pulled and advertised as a single issue book by the seller, they weren't advertised as being a "signed" book. And also because of the invariably-surprised look on the sellers face when I open it up to inspect it before buying it lol!

Here's a few:

Jim Lee,

20190228_132510-1.jpg

Klaus Janson,

20190228_132630-1.jpg

And my favorite, Todd McFarlane - This one was a shock because you'd think a major LCS in town would have inspected this one a wee bit closer. But the big eyes and high eyebrows when I opened it in front of the owner before buying it was enough icing on the cake for me! Sold! 

20190228_132722-1.jpg

Anyone get some cool "Surprise! Signatures" on books they've purchased!? B|

Edited by jcjames

I got a few but usually not big names. Like a ton of my Silverwolf and Greater Mercury Comics I pulled out of the quarter bin are signed, and some sketched too. I did get some Larry Welz signatures in some of my Cherry comics, and one of my Love And Rockets comics has a Beto song in it

I was looking for a copy of Comics Feature #26 (fanzine) because it has an interview with Mike Royer, and at the time MCS was the only place I could find offering one. I trust their grading and was satisfied with their "7.5", so I took it without reading the contents in the yellow box, which I assumed to be their Consignment info (it wasn't).

So it was a surprise to me, though it shouldn't have been.

IqaFhgi.jpg

I don't remember where or when I got this, but I was going through books a while ago, and this note card fell out when I opened this DD238.  I love it, and I keep telling myself I'm going to try to finish off what the original owner started.  Maybe I'll actually remember to do it this year and take this thing to HeroesCon!  Daddy Jim's was a store in High Point, NC... I don't think it's there anymore, but I certainly would have gone there the year I lived in Greensboro.  I don't recall ever having known it was signed... if this was shown in the bag I can't think of why I would have put it inside the book!  But anyway... this kinda fits what you're talking about :)

20190228_165243.thumb.jpg.4e97346eeb262f2321db71e1271f5eac.jpg

20190228_165223.jpg.05839b1897d9237df81b337849a98573.jpg

EDIT: well, ... no one is on the Heroes guest list this year. (yet)

Edited by Schmakt

I have had these a while and actually forgotten they had interior sigs.  Pretty sure I bought these mail-order from TBG ads way back and honestly cannot remember if hey were adertised with the sigs.

Will Eisner in National Comics #4 

20170927_145525.thumb.jpg.fc9ad1472a22300adf674bd909550bf8.jpg

Jerry Eiger in Jumbo Comics #165

20180418_151106.thumb.jpg.b0901727e7b80fae2cae1ab5d498675f.jpg

Louis Ferstadt (GA artist and cover artist of this book) Four Favorites #8

1048088560_ff8sigcloseup.thumb.jpg.8cf25ee7a8c7364d85f9d774b73cbfe5.jpg

I've had a 1982 Teen Titans #1 since it walked into my shop in 1985. Last year, I opened it to see the paper quality and saw it was signed by Perez and Wolfman. 

I bought a bunch of books from Tom DeFalcos brother and one of them had Julius Schwartz's signature on the splash.  

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I have found a few of them over the years. The ones I liked the most were a Wrightson signed House of Secrets 92, and this Vampirella #1, although I am not 100% sure it is a Frazetta sig since it isn't verified. I bought the Vampirella off Ebay and the seller had no idea there was a signature.

Vampirella 1.jpg

Vampi 1 sig.jpg

Sweet! :headbang: